*edit*

So are there any good strings for acoustic that you guys could recommend that won't oxidize and turn the strings green? It's a pain in the ass to clean off everytime I play.

So after playing my acoustic guitar the strings get this green-ish coat over them and my fingers turn green as well. This only happends when I play my acoustic (electric and classical are fine)

I use elixers on my electric

D'addario nylons on my classical

and Ghs phosphor bronze on my acoustic. (which say they feature a special durable alloy of copper, tin and phosphor wound over a hex core)

Normally it wouldn't bother me, but after playing my acoustic for 1 hour or more my fingers become pretty tender when I've had calluses for years and can play my other guitars for 5+ hours with no issue.

So what's causing this? Is it just a reaction to the copper in the strings from the sweat in my fingers? Is it an allergic reaction? Is it both? or Am I just ****ing nuts?
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by Andrew/WK
hul image

This is not the place for this sort of thing, but I really want to see a shoop of a guitar in his right hand.

I also think it has something to do with the whole fake jewelry thing. I'm not expert though.
Last edited by m3tal_R3dn3ck at Jun 4, 2010,
Sounds to me like it's the copper reacting with your skin. Not a big deal, maybe find different strings? I had a similar issue with glasses of all things but it was the nickel in the frames. Not sure if it's an allergy or a sensitivity/tolerance issue. Normally allergic reactions have an immune response associated with them.
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck
This is not the place for this sort of thing, but I really want to see a shoop of a guitar in his right hand.

I also think it has something to do with the whole fake jewelry thing. I'm not expert though.

What would fake jewlry have to do with guitar strings >_>

I guess cheap metals used to make it but I'd need more insight than that. Anyone got any thoughts?

*edit*

Quote by celticstorm84
Sounds to me like it's the copper reacting with your skin. Not a big deal, maybe find different strings? I had a similar issue with glasses of all things but it was the nickel in the frames. Not sure if it's an allergy or a sensitivity/tolerance issue. Normally allergic reactions have an immune response associated with them.

Arn't most acoustic strings copper?
Quote by m3tal_R3dn3ck

HULK NOT HAPPY WITH SHITTY BC RICH! HULK SMAAAAAAAASH!
Acoustic strings are bronze wound and they tarnish. That green color is the tarnish. Normal, wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Copper rusts green.
Bronze and other types of cupric alloys (like brass) rusts green as well.
It'll be okay, you'll just start to look like the statue of liberty.

Quote by Guitarfreak777
What would fake jewlry have to do with guitar strings >_>

Brass is often used as a substitute for gold on cheap jewelry.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by darkwolf291
^Phosphor Bronze is Phosphor, Tin, and copper, no brass

It's the copper oxidizing, just like the statue of liberty or an old penny

Does it have any effects besides looking like im transforming into the hulk? I swear it makes my fingers more tender :/ but I could be imagining it.
Quote by darkwolf291
Nope, it has no other effects, it might be because you're playing you're acoustic, which has a higher action and the strings are harder to push down.

I didn't think I was that much of a wuss

Are there any other strings for acoustic that I could get that don't cause this? It kills the strings quite a bit faster, and it's a pain to clean off (the strings that is)
Quote by darkwolf291

brass is an alloy of copper, the point he was trying to make was that alloys of copper like brass and bronze oxidize green because of the copper in them
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by darkwolf291

Brass isn't an element.

Quote by Wiki
Brass is any alloy of copper and zinc; the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties. In comparison, bronze is principally an alloy of copper and tin. Despite this distinction some types of brasses are called bronzes and vice-versa.

Phosphor bronze contains both tin and zinc, so it's both a brass and a bronze.

Otherwise you're right.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 5, 2010,
it's really not that hard to wipe your strings off and keeping them clean will help them last longer.

If you want new strings then check out D'Addario's acoustic EXP strings. They're made to be corrosion resistant.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
it's really not that hard to wipe your strings off and keeping them clean will help them last longer.

If you want new strings then check out D'Addario's acoustic EXP strings. They're made to be corrosion resistant.

No it isn't that hard, but it's also annoying as hell when it shows up while i'm playing and have to get green crap all over the cloths I use to wipe down all my strings.

Thanks for the suggestion
just get cleartones or elixirs. cost a little more but last longer.

also, exactly how much time and effort does it take to use fast fret? like 10 seconds?
Quote by gregs1020

also, exactly how much time and effort does it take to use fast fret? like 10 seconds?

+1.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by gregs1020

wtf is fast fret?
Quote by Guitarfreak777
wtf is fast fret?

string cleaner.

do i need to google it for you?
since you use elixirs on your electric, just get the acoustic elixirs
Quote by darkwolf291

Technically phosphorus, not phosphor, but I'll let it slide :P

(Gimme a break, I'm in the middle of studying for Chem finals ><
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele