Hi there everyone,

After years of air-guitar playing I finally got sick of making the silly joke of "dude, i'm a professional listener, i can listen to a guitar solo like you can't even imagine" and stuff like that and decided to take this thing seriously. I bought my first guitar 5 years ago and even though I took a couple of lessons it just didn't go so well. I was too numb to learn it and I was in such a mood that I was so sure that I can never ever play. Finally this week, after all those wasted years I picked up a guitar and simply tried to play Keep On Rockin' in the Free World. Good tune, very easy to play and I could play it. It was nothing magical and even nothing musical but there was that breaking point for me. I just couldn't take it anymore, I had to make something with this instrument.

So, at the age of 19, I'm starting playing literally for the first time. I'm aware of my age thus my limits. I know what I'm aiming to get out of a guitar and what type of a player I want to be. I just really don't wanna be yet another guy who knows nothing about music but playing the "chords".

Basically this is my situation:

- I can't read music (some say I don't have to)
- I have a 150$ Eagle acoustic, actually sounds very solid for the price
- I don't want to play extremely hard classic guitar stuff or being like Paul Gilbert, as I said I know what I want and I'm aware of my limits
- I want to be a decent guitar player
- What really matters for me is, being able to play the sounds in my head with the instrument, like when a melody comes up in my mind I want to be able to say "oh these are frets and etc to make that sound come alive"
- I'm looking for a place to start but I'm not so much into taking classes again, that's mostly an issue of money..
- I really don't wanna gain bad habits of bad practicing that would effect the rest of my playing.

God bless internet, there are numerous sources for numerous lessons. But this is what makes it difficult for a beginner. I don't know where to start and keep on. I have the Guitar for Dummies 2nd Ed. and Berklee's Modern Guitar Methods (these were the books that my teacher used). As I said, I will be pretty much teaching myself on my own but I don't wanna take a wrong direction.

Hopefully, I can find some good feedback for my issue here before rushing to GFD
You may not like this answer, but here it is:

You're just gonna have to practice. A lot. For now, you're best off just learning songs you know from tabs here on UG. Then later, once you become more familiar with the instrument, you can move onto other things such as playing by ear (which you mentioned) and music theory.

Good luck! Remember to always ask if you have questions.

Quote by qwertyuiop8642
learn every note on the fretboard
I don't think it's necessary just yet.

TS, you will want to do this eventually (as it's essential in order to be a good guitar player in my opinion), but you don't have to rush into it yet.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 4, 2010,
Force yourself to alternate pick, it may seem easy to only downstroke at beginning, but the earlier you stamp out mistakes such as that, the less you will pay for those mistakes in the future.
Quote by daktir
So, at the age of 19, I'm starting playing literally for the first time. I'm aware of my age thus my limits. I know what I'm aiming to get out of a guitar and what type of a player I want to be. I just really don't wanna be yet another guy who knows nothing about music but playing the "chords".

Firstly your age determines nothing.

Secondly, learning the chords is extremely important, and is required to play the vast majority of songs. If you don't get on top of them, you won't be very useful as a guitarist. I'd say the best thing that a learning guitarist could learn to begin with would be all the open chords, memorising all the types and names, then learning songs which use them. I've met people who can shred and can do the open chord thing. Silly.

Otherwise do what the others say, and barre chords after you have a handle on the open ones.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
chords, scales and songs you like is all i can say for now but i'm sure you will find a more straight foward direction in terms of style and genre and from there i would be able to help more.
Quote by kinah5
the less you will pay for those mistakes in the future.

lolwut?
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door