Poll: How easy is it for you to string a guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: How easy is it for you to string a guitar?
I never have any trouble with it
137 46%
I can do it fine, but sometimes I make little mistakes with how much slack to leave
142 48%
I kind of suck at it, when I put strings on a guitar it goes out of tune fairly often
38 13%
Ive been playing guitar too long to take a question like this seriously
66 22%
Voters: 298.
Page 1 of 2
ive played guitar for the past few years, and i still have trouble changing strings sometimes. most of the trouble i have is gauging how much slack to leave on the string, either too little or too much.

what about you?
i break strings about once a week so im pretty good at changing them
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
pretty easy.
i can restring a floyd in about 5-10 mins.
tune-o-matic at the speed of light

EDIT:
for the slackness - with the string through the post, hold the string with your thumb at the 12th fret and stretch your hand out so the tip of your fingers touch the 12th fret. usually gives the right amount of string to wind.
Edit2: hope that made sense =P
Last edited by heminder at Jun 4, 2010,
I am fecking awful at it. They usually go out of tune and it takes me a good while putting them on
I take my time. Like 10-15 mins. I don't consider myself a pro at it. I just change them.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
If you handed me a FR guitar, better be prepared to wait a week and a half. I owned one and could never for the f**king life of me figure out how to setup anything on it properly.

But a TOM, give me 5 minutes to string, stretch, and intonate. Well, longer for intonation...
With most of my guitars I do just fine, but with my acoustic I always underestimate, and with bass I tend to overestimate. My SG is a bitch because it has a Bigsby, but once you learn the capo trick it doesn't take more than ten minutes for the whole guitar to be done.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I suck at it.. i'd prefer not to do it tbh.. so I make sure my strings last for months haha.. I've never broken a string though, not through playing anyway.. One broke when I was transporting my guitar just after i'd strung it. I was on the way to play gig aswell at the time lol.. But yeah.. I hate it and I would pay someone to do it for me if i could afford :p I've been playing for two years too
Cornflakes
Depends, my floyd rose takes me anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes, but anything else is like 2 or 3 minutes
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
On a scale of 1 - 10, a 10. It's so difficult to me for some reason. I put it off for as long as possible.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I can do it, I just get really scared as when I am tuning them, they start creaking and I always think they're gonna snap and hit me in my eye.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I don't know if the way I do it is the "right" way, but it works fine. On my Epiphone, the G string always goes out of tune, but I think that has more to do with the guitar itself than the way I string it.
Quote by selkies
i break strings about once a week so im pretty good at changing them

Weird. I've literally never broken a string just playng. It's always been tuning or playing with the Floyd Rose.

Regardless, I had one lesson in changing strings about six years ago and I've had no trouble since then.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
Quote by CaptDin
I don't know if the way I do it is the "right" way, but it works fine. On my Epiphone, the G string always goes out of tune, but I think that has more to do with the guitar itself than the way I string it.

No it's just to do with the G string. It is the string that is most likely to go out of tune, Min'es goes out of tune a lot and I have a Gibson, so it's not about the quality of the guitar
I just string it, pull it through the tuning peg, pull on the end a little and start twisting the nut. Usually takes me like 10-15 mins to do a whole re-string. Another 5-10 for tuning, and an ungodly amount of time to intonate. A single string takes 5 mins total. So I guess its not too hard, I just hate doing the intonation with a passion.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I have no problem doing it but I take my time. What do you mean by how much slack to leave?

Duffman123, your sig reminded me of when my drinking problem started.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Locking tuners. 'Nuff said.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Quote by rock.freak667
I can do it, I just get really scared as when I am tuning them, they start creaking and I always think they're gonna snap and hit me in my eye.

THIS !
it takes me about 10 min for the first one than 2 min for the rest lol
if i clean it an hour.
if i intonate it forever.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
I can do it really easy and fast but, when ever i change the strings I polish the guitar and clean the fretboard. Which takes longer to do then change the strings. Or the cat is in the room and likes to play with them.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by syke5
THIS !
it takes me about 10 min for the first one than 2 min for the rest lol
if i clean it an hour.
if i intonate it forever.

Especially when you are tuning and the peg by the bridge pops out and you nearly get a heart attack traumatizing experiences.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by rock.freak667

never been hit in the eye. i usually just get poped on the hands if anything. hurts like a btch though.
Quote by tancanada
He's from Arkansas. Of course he wants to eat it.

Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

Quote by ikitson
im drunk idc

( . Y . )
I have never strung a traditional guitar. I don't plan on doing it anytime soon either.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
On a good day its pretty easy. On a bad day its pretty hard.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
My guitar has a FR so it takes me like 15 minutes, including tuning.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

I've never really had any trouble with it. I just hate how long it takes.

I wish it was like BOOM changed.
I'm pretty good at it until I get to the high e.
I can never get it through the back of the guitar and through the bridge.
When I finally get it through, I spend almost an hour tightening it out of fear of it snapping and cutting my jugular.

The wierd thing about my highest strings is I've never broken any of them while stringing except for the g a few times.
I'd just like to take the following posts out of context..

Quote by Brennon
never been hit in the eye. i usually just get poped on the hands if anything.

Quote by KrlzGmz
I take my time. Like 10-15 mins. I don't consider myself a pro at it.

Quote by MyS3lF
lol i usally take 45 mins but i do it fine

Cornflakes
i could change strings before i could play guitar. wait thats not right...
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
I change e and b strings about every 15 minutes. No problems.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
changing the strings isn't the problem for me, it's tuning them on my floyd rose equipped guitars.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Page 1 of 2