I recently started to learn sweep picking. I already got the sweeping motion down with the right hand butI am having problems with my left hand technique. When I strike the string and lift my finger but the string still vibrates producing unwanted open string noise. can somebody help me out, something with a video would definitly help.
Breakin` the Law!
I'm having pretty much the same problem as you.

One thing I've found which helps your fretting hand, is if you grab the neck with your right hand, muting the strings, and then hammer on the notes with your left hand (assuming you're right handed).

I've read that you are supposed to mute the string with your palm just after you have played it, but I can never manage to do that in a way which lets the arpeggio flow smoothly.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense, I'm really really tired.
Quote by SamstaUK
I'm having pretty much the same problem as you.

One thing I've found which helps your fretting hand, is if you grab the neck with your right hand, muting the strings, and then hammer on the notes with your left hand (assuming you're right handed).

I've read that you are supposed to mute the string with your palm just after you have played it, but I can never manage to do that in a way which lets the arpeggio flow smoothly.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense, I'm really really tired.

That sounds pretty hard to do it smoothly. I guess there is some other way like left hand rolling.
Breakin` the Law!
unless you've practised for about 6 months then your gonna get that, best thing to do is use a swet band or something material to wrap around the neck to mute the strings just untill you have a decent sound then take it off and clean up your sweeps
well if you practise you should have good sounding coordination, but you will take the band off and you will still have a little bit of extra noise so just keep practising untill its perfect, the sweat band is only cause (for me anyway) when i was practising it sounded horrible and made me not want to play them so i guess its just a confidence thing
2 ways to remove this problem
right hand muting and left hand muting.

I personally find right hand muting most effective. Basically when you make the downward motion with your right hand hand, lock your hand in position and sweep in a perfectly 90 degree angle to the strings....understand? Short story is that when your right hand moves to pick the next string, the palm of your right hand should immediatly block the previous string. This will remove 100% of the string noise.

The left hand method is simple. When you fret a note and move on to the next note, dont pull all of your finger off. Keep it slightly on the string so it is muting the string.

I strongly reccomend using both the right hand and left hand method in combination.

Start of with 3 note per string sweeps, then move on to 4, then 5, then 6 until it is full clean.
Dont bother with the sweatband thing...ur wasting your time.

Also, play with LOADS of distortion. This way any poor technique will be heard. (even if you hate metal!)

Hope that helps.
Quote by mr7string
well if you practise you should have good sounding coordination, but you will take the band off and you will still have a little bit of extra noise so just keep practising untill its perfect, the sweat band is only cause (for me anyway) when i was practising it sounded horrible and made me not want to play them so i guess its just a confidence thing

Thanks man I`m gonna keep at it all summer .
Breakin` the Law!
My suggestion would be to take it slow using a metronome, and just use a very simple exercise such as going up and down the neck using only 3 strings. To be honest, i really wouldn't try using anything temporarily to make yourself sound cleaner, it could actually be hiding your imperfections, which will make them harder to fix after a habits set in. Make sure you're not changing how you hold your pick at all. Also, if your playing sweeps where you're playing the same fret on multiple strings, make sure your rolling is correct, it could be a left hand problem.
Quote by CBCRivers23
My suggestion would be to take it slow using a metronome, and just use a very simple exercise such as going up and down the neck using only 3 strings. To be honest, i really wouldn't try using anything temporarily to make yourself sound cleaner, it could actually be hiding your imperfections, which will make them harder to fix after a habits set in. Make sure you're not changing how you hold your pick at all. Also, if your playing sweeps where you're playing the same fret on multiple strings, make sure your rolling is correct, it could be a left hand problem.

I agree most with the above. There should be no need for "muting" of any sort if you practice this slowly. Seriously, you just need to go slow until you get the motions down and can do it cleanly. Super slow.

I will say that you should probably avoid doing sweeps with any "barring" (i.e. same fret on adjacent strings) until you have mastered the more basic arpeggios.. then try to do the rolling bar.

Good luck.
Quote by x5_spoonman
2 ways to remove this problem
right hand muting and left hand muting.

I personally find right hand muting most effective. Basically when you make the downward motion with your right hand hand, lock your hand in position and sweep in a perfectly 90 degree angle to the strings....understand? Short story is that when your right hand moves to pick the next string, the palm of your right hand should immediatly block the previous string. This will remove 100% of the string noise.

The left hand method is simple. When you fret a note and move on to the next note, dont pull all of your finger off. Keep it slightly on the string so it is muting the string.

I strongly reccomend using both the right hand and left hand method in combination.

Start of with 3 note per string sweeps, then move on to 4, then 5, then 6 until it is full clean.
Dont bother with the sweatband thing...ur wasting your time.

Also, play with LOADS of distortion. This way any poor technique will be heard. (even if you hate metal!)

Hope that helps.

Will do man I`m gonna keep at it. I love metal by the way
Breakin` the Law!
Be prepared to put a pretty good amount of time into it and i think it is best to start off with 3 string sweeps only and get the muscle memory down. Once one get it down it should feel somewhat natural to do and move on to the full 5 string sweeps.