Ok, so you know how you can buy solar panels from the companies and businesses and put them on your house and then it pays itself off over time. It would probably be better to finance it and pay it off while adding to your payments part of the money you've made from selling your ''leftover'' electricity. And I'm sure that's what alot of people do.

So what if you buy some land at the cheapest price you can get it. I don't know, a sufficient amount of acreage to put a sufficient amount of solar panels that are efficiently propped all over. You set everything up so that you're connected to the grid. You set up a small shack which would qualify as living quarters, you use an extremely minute amount of your energy (probably just a few light sources and electrical controls and command circuitry). And you sell all the rest of that energy to the grid. In my case it would probably be Hydro Ottawa or maybe even some sort of local small green energy firm. Whoever pays more.

Now those panels aren't cheap at all. And in my case I probably wouldn't make as much electricity as I'd like to, because of my geographical location (Canada). But I could simply do the same in the southern states, or maybe even further down where common things I might use for this kind of thing would be cheaper.

I'm also thinking maybe some medium sized wind turbines instead of solar panels. And save the panels for places where it's actually worth it.

Now what I'm concerned with are the legalities behind it. And the differences between Canada, U.S. and maybe south american legalities towards this. Can anyone help me out on this?

This is a REALLY brainstormed idea right now, and I'm not getting my hopes up, but any help on any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks much
Hope you've got a few million dollars to burn.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
Hope you've got a few million dollars to burn.

Yes, capital would be the main issue.

I know with hard work it can be partially accomplished.

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve however that would definetly help out the financial dilemma. And it's all legal.

Actually it's not really tricks. They're called patents, and they can actually make you some ridiculous money if you can make things work. I'm getting there with a few of mine.
Quote by Pyrest
If they havent already invented them, draw them up and send them to a lab or something. YOU'D make millions.

im working on it
but i cant find my crayons
It is viable only if you can make more energy per hour than a normal energy station. Else you'd spend a lot of money and hope to sell some energy to a company that produces 10 times the amount that you produce. Also, you can only produce energy for a certain period of time.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by supersac
how about wind turbines with solar panels on them?
youdmake millions!

lol it is a good idea.

But in all seriousness, the surface area of a wind turbine's props wouldn't generate much.
Or if you mean putting panels literally on top of the turbine. That is a good idea, but I would be iffy about the dangers of it maybe getting some damage from high winds possibly breaking or something. That is all depending on how it's built.
Quote by rock.freak667
It is viable only if you can make more energy per hour than a normal energy station. Else you'd spend a lot of money and hope to sell some energy to a company that produces 10 times the amount that you produce. Also, you can only produce energy for a certain period of time.

But this is what energy companies are doing these days. They are buying (probably for pretty cheap, but it's still profit to the homeowner) the unused energy from people with home-based renewable energy technology, and simply sell it as their own for their own price. I'm getting the feeling I'm not following you on something here...

And yes, that would be on problem. Day and night. Which why I'm leaning towards wind turbines. But I'm guessing a combination of both can't hurt?
Quote by supersac
im working on it

Take the wax crayons from a restaurant. You'll save the money, and I don't think they mind.
Quote by Pyrest
Stationary drawer? D:

On a serious note; I don't think it's worth the time and money youd have to invest to do this.

But ASSUMING I already have the capital to start this. Would you say it would be profitable?
Quote by metalblaster
Take the wax crayons from a restaurant. You'll save the money, and I don't think they mind.

i cant afford any gas to get there my electricity bill is to high
No because millions could be better spent elsewhere
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by supersac
i cant afford any gas to get there my electricity bill is to high

well played dear sire, well played.
Quote by metalblaster
But this is what energy companies are doing these days. They are buying (probably for pretty cheap, but it's still profit to the homeowner) the unused energy from people with home-based renewable energy technology, and simply sell it as their own for their own price. I'm getting the feeling I'm not following you on something here...

I do not know what all companies are doing, but where I live, it is not feasible to use solar energy. While it will reduce pollution, on a monetary basis, the price of energy via other means is less than how much solar panels will cost.

Quote by metalblaster

And yes, that would be on problem. Day and night. Which why I'm leaning towards wind turbines. But I'm guessing a combination of both can't hurt?

Also, wind is a bit sporadic, so you'd need to place it where you get a lot of wind per day.

And it'd be better if you found a way to store large amounts of energy efficiently. I am not sure what size batteries they use to store the energy or how much they produce.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by metalblaster
But ASSUMING I already have the capital to start this. Would you say it would be profitable?

It could be, but only if you can produce energy at a faster rate than other companies can, as someone else has already stated.
if you tried in the U.S. they would probably tax you to death and never make any money on it at all. it will be like the good idea tax or something and it will be 90% of what you make
current gear
music man steve morse y2d
fender american strat
yamaha dg 100
crate palomoino v32 head
Quote by rock.freak667
I do not know what all companies are doing, but where I live, it is not feasible to use solar energy. While it will reduce pollution, on a monetary basis, the price of energy via other means is less than how much solar panels will cost.

Also, wind is a bit sporadic, so you'd need to place it where you get a lot of wind per day.

And it'd be better if you found a way to store large amounts of energy efficiently. I am not sure what size batteries they use to store the energy or how much they produce.

Ok, so you're saying the only problem (besides obtaining capital for all this) is the current average cost for solar panels?

Yes, true, wind turbines would be placed in areas where the most wind activity can be used.

Very large batteries would be used. If using wind turbines, they would have to be converted from AC to DC to AC anyways so adding a battery for storage would only make sense. But then again, these large batteries and their cost....
Quote by Pyrest
It could be, but only if you can produce energy at a faster rate than other companies can, as someone else has already stated.

But they still buy it from people who don't produce it nearly as a fast as they do.

I guess the problem would be to not become a competitor.

I would simply be a person who owns land with renewable energy technology who would use EXTREMELY small amounts of it (only to maintain its' proper funtion) and sell it back to them.
Quote by bluescat013
if you tried in the U.S. they would probably tax you to death and never make any money on it at all. it will be like the good idea tax or something and it will be 90% of what you make

This is what I need to find out.

I mean, U.S.-wise, I would guess with this whole new Obama vision it wouldn't be so bad. But I'm no expert on modern politics and all that shabang.
I'm considering making my own.

I could learn the knowledge about it. I already have an educated knowledge about electronics, motors and such from college.

Solar panels, I could look into also. This is all a pretty greasy idea. But think of it, I'm not a business, I'm simply selling electricity that I've made to the grid. It doesn't pose a health hazard and it's renewable energy.
niggas dont know about my energy savings.

Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
They already have turbine farms but not to make money... they usually lose money i think.
But if it was profitable there would be an energy company out there that does it, it would cost millions to set it up and it would produce small amounts of energy and take forever to even break even..

I've had a thought about harnessing power from people though, if exersize machines were converted so that the energy used is converted to electricity.. how long do you think it would take to charge an iphone with an exercise bike?
Cornflakes
Last edited by Kay Z at Jun 4, 2010,
Quote by supersac
im working on it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
In my opinion, it'd be a far better idea to create new technology that maximizes natural resources to create electricity, as in a new solar panel or something. Buying all of that land and all of the panels isn't really worth it, especially for one man. If you have that much money, you don't need to profit anymore, and should use your efforts to help out by contributing new ideas. Who knows, you might figure out something, sell the idea, and be a millionaire.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.

Like this thing?
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Well your original post put forth the idea of having a "farm" connected with a residence, if you would be doing this in a city I think you would find, even with the capital, a hard time with the zoning regulations. Just because you can put the some panels on your house, doesn't mean you can cover the lawn with them.

If you were doing this out in the boonies, after a certain point you would have to pay allot higher taxes on all this energy you are selling to the grid, because a normal family with solar panel is using the majority of the output for personal use, your plan seem to be to use a vast majority of the output for commercial use.

I like the idea, but remember there is alot more than just a technical aspect on this.

James