What key is that song in?
I would like to be able to compose something that has a very menacing atmosphere in it
Quote by kcorkcar
What key is that song in?
I would like to be able to compose something that has a very menacing atmosphere in it

I dont remember exactly, but for some reason I want to say Ebmin...But I havent played it in years. If all else fails, wiki. And if that fails, look up the score on the petrucci public music library. Its def there
a specific key doesn't give you a menacing sound, its how you write it. You can write something menacing in G major if you tried. I'd say pick a key and use dissonant tones to add an eerie effect
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Of course a question is raised that if you can't pick what key a song is in, what makes you think you can then write in that key?

Learn some key theory.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The key doesn't matter, it's the way Mussorgsky used out of key notes to get that sound.

Learn some theory + analyse the score.
Im going to argue that key is important. Different pitches inherently have different timbres on different instruments. Not only is the pitch of an Eb different than a Bb on a piano, but so is the texture of the note.
Quote by tubatom868686
Im going to argue that key is important. Different pitches inherently have different timbres on different instruments. Not only is the pitch of an Eb different than a Bb on a piano, but so is the texture of the note.

yeah I took a look at it and it is mostly in Eb and Bb

Quote by AlanHB
Of course a question is raised that if you can't pick what key a song is in, what makes you think you can then write in that key?

Learn some key theory.

It is not hard to write in a certain key if you know the proper scales to play.
An good ear needs to be developed to fully understand key theory in which it takes time to do.

So before you go off giving commands to someone, why don't you ask how much someone knows before you start to jump to conclusions, by replying in a counter question.
Quote by kcorkcar

It is not hard to write in a certain key if you know the proper scales to play.
An good ear needs to be developed to fully understand key theory in which it takes time to do.

So before you go off giving commands to someone, why don't you ask how much someone knows before you start to jump to conclusions, by replying in a counter question.

I'm not completely sure about the scales comment, if you know what scales are associated with a certain key, you should then be able to find the key, at least through trial and error with the scales. Have you tried this TS?

Otherwise, I'll add something more constructive.

Key alone does not determine the mood of a song, as some people may have suggested. You are better off looking at the chords used within the song, and how they work with each other to create it's specific sound. Once you learn this, you'll be able to replicate this feeling in other keys too.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not completely sure about the scales comment, if you know what scales are associated with a certain key, you should then be able to find the key, at least through trial and error with the scales. Have you tried this TS?

Key alone does not determine the mood of a song, as some people may have suggested. You are better off looking at the chords used within the song, and how they work with each other to create it's specific sound. Once you learn this, you'll be able to replicate this feeling in other keys too.

all i know that i am able to play is the intro. which isn't hard at all. i proposed the question mainly to know what keys are needed. like if i play in the key of a i would mainly stick to a c e g which is something i found out while breaking a few chords down. but thx for the insite. I do need to know alot of theory if i want to play technical death metal mixed with black metal. which im not sure has been done. along with some symphony as well
Quote by AlanHB

Well, first off Im going that simply knowing a scale immensely helps in writing songs. I propose a challenge. Bring him to a piano, and tell him, "Make up a song." It probably will sound so-so at best. Now say, "Make a song, but try to only use the white keys." Suddenly, it starts to sound like legitimate music.

Also, Id say key plays a HUGE role in music. Go to a piano and play Cmin11, and now play Dmin11. Though technically the same chord, they have a tremendously different texture

Function=/=feel
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 6, 2010,