hey ive been looking around to buy a new strat and i can't really tell the differences between these two:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512870

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Fat-Strat-HSS-Electric-Guitar-Black?sku=510477

what are the differences besides color obviously, and which would be better suited for Metal and regular rock without swapping the pickups
Ones the Hwy1, which an american made Fender with nitro finish, the other I believe is the deluxe version of the Mexicans

edit: they'll both sound close to the same, but i'd buy the Hwy1.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I'm pretty sure, the deluxe is a mexican, and the highway one is a cheap american made strat

edit; beaten to it. however i would also take the highway one
just give me a fender and let me rip
Like the previous poster said, go with the highway one version. It is a higher quality guitar.

ron666
Quote by polloboyman
hey ive been looking around to buy a new strat and i can't really tell the differences between these two:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512870

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Fat-Strat-HSS-Electric-Guitar-Black?sku=510477

what are the differences besides color obviously, and which would be better suited for Metal and regular rock without swapping the pickups

I think they both have the same pickups, neither will probably sound 'better' for metal. For rock, just fine. If you're gonna be doing straight-up metal the real issue won't be the pickups but the neck. Ideally you'll want something glued-in or neck-through, probably 24 frets, and a flatter profile. Fender might not be what you're looking for...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I think they both have the same pickups, neither will probably sound 'better' for metal. For rock, just fine. If you're gonna be doing straight-up metal the real issue won't be the pickups but the neck. Ideally you'll want something glued-in or neck-through, probably 24 frets, and a flatter profile. Fender might not be what you're looking for...

The neck has little to no bearing on whether or not the guitar will be great for metal. Ibanez=mainly bolt-on. The pickups will be the problem with metal. Metal can be played on virtually any guitar. Hell, i enjoy my dad's strats neck for fast playing more than I like my Schecters.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
If you want to play something metal I'd look for a strat with Dimerzio's (sp?) in them.
Quote by shaggydogJV

The neck has little to no bearing on whether or not the guitar will be great for metal. Ibanez=mainly bolt-on. The pickups will be the problem with metal. Metal can be played on virtually any guitar. Hell, i enjoy my dad's strats neck for fast playing more than I like my Schecters.

Um.

Quote by OP

I know metal can be played on most guitars. I know who Yngwie Malmsteen is and what kind of guitar he plays. I'm sorry if I kinda made a sweeping generalization but it tends to be true that most people (like myself, when I play metal, which is rarely) find bolt-on necks to be an obstruction, at least in the case of Fender's rectangular 4-screw design.

Pickups definitely do matter, but we're not talking about some '50s RI Tele, these Strats that the OP linked come with pickups are pretty modern and will be able to take on most genre's you play them with.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Um.

I know metal can be played on most guitars. I know who Yngwie Malmsteen is and what kind of guitar he plays. I'm sorry if I kinda made a sweeping generalization but it tends to be true that most people (like myself, when I play metal, which is rarely) find bolt-on necks to be an obstruction, at least in the case of Fender's rectangular 4-screw design.

Pickups definitely do matter, but we're not talking about some '50s RI Tele, these Strats that the OP linked come with pickups are pretty modern and will be able to take on most genre's you play them with.

ummm.... where do you live where "most" people don't like bolt on necks for metal? a great deal of metal is played on super strats which are for the most part bolt on. i play metal on strats with no problem. since you've stated that you aren't a metal fan i'd have to guess that perhaps you're not the best suited to advise on what to use to play it.
Quote by monwobobbo
since you've stated that you aren't a metal fan i'd have to guess that perhaps you're not the best suited to advise on what to use to play it.

On this you are probably right. But just because I dislike metal doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about it. Again, I said that the Fender bolt-on design isn't the best for metal due to high-fret access, but not all bolt-on designs are like that. Really, would you rather be shredding up high on this neck:

or this one?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
On this you are probably right. But just because I dislike metal doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about it. Again, I said that the Fender bolt-on design isn't the best for metal due to high-fret access, but not all bolt-on designs are like that. Really, would you rather be shredding up high on this neck:

or this one?
Try asking Iron Maiden.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Try asking Iron Maiden.

Every rule has a few exceptions. It's why I said 'most'.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Get the Highway strat, the pickups are much hotter than most normal strats, and it will handle metal to a degree, even with the stock pickups, it has a humbucker, so it can handle the gain, now will you get Pantera or Metallica or some shit like that from it, no, but metal tone is one of the things that is in the eye(or ear) of the beholder. But we can generalize on a point where it becomes metal.

I use my strat for metal, have for years, even though it's a Squier Strat (don't hate, it will kill you) I'm loading it with some nice pickups, (whenever the BKP Painkiller gets here) and it'll be even better than when it had EMG's in it.
If you want metal, and since you said metal before rock I'm guessing it's your main focus, I don't see why you would even want a strat? If you are going for versatility, then yes this guitar will do metal fine and rock great. And also blues and great cleans. The pickups wouldn't be the problem, you'd have fine pickups and wouldn't need to switch them out. But if you want metal to sound good and also play rock why not go for something other than a strat? Like schecter (you got to find the right one though) or Ibanez.

But if you must get a strat either one will work fine, but like said before go the the highway one
My stuff Schecter C-1 Classic Trans Blue Schecter Tempest Custom w/ duncan distortion humbuckers
'91 Stratocaster, MIM....

Line Six Flextone II 60 watt amp
Both will work for what you are wanting. If you have local music stores go out and see if they have the models and give them a test drive. IN the long run you are the only one that can tall what will work for you.You just might find something totally unexpected that feels better in your hands and in your ears.
/rant on
I love how threads like this degrade from the unknowing spewing crap on a subject they clearly know nothing about. What do you think bands such as Priest and Maiden played back in the 70's? It sure as hell was not Ibeenhad or Shitter. It was Fender Strats and Gibson Les Paul,SG and V's.
Playing any style of music depends more on the operator not the machine he is using when it comes down to the actual guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by MortifiedLizard

or this one?

well given that 2 out of 3 of my guitars are strats i guess the answer is obvious. knowing a thing or two about something really doesn't seem like a good foundation to make the comments you have. rumour has it you can shred all over he neck and its not all done at the top. yngwie doesn't seem to have an issue with it nor do any of the many clones of him that came later. come to think of it i don't seem to have any problem burning a fast lick of two on them either (see tunes in profile). pretty tired of all the "you can't play metal on a strat" comments.

to OP play as many f both of those strats as you can. the one that feels the ost comfortable and sounds the best to you is the right one. neither is necessarily "better"
If your going to spend that much money take your time and find a used MIA strat.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!