I'm on a budget, say under $120 for a solid Distortion or Overdrive pedal. I've been told that BOSS distortion stompboxes aren't very good, however, I've played with the DS-1, OD-3 and OS-1, and liked them all. Can I really get much better without getting too expensive?
Honestly in my experience the DS-1 is okay, not the greatest, but it's cheap. I actually REALLY messed around with it tonight, trying everything with it, and got a pretty decent tone out of it. You can make any distortion pedal sound decent, you just need to EQ properly and know how to adjust your knobs.
Just dont buy a distortion pedal period. The only person that has gotten a solid sound out of only a pedal for distortion, was Mr. Cobain. Just save your money, and buy a tube amp. End of story. OH and a tube screamer would be nice with ANY tube head, combo amp.
What amp are you playing through? What sound are you looking for?
Quote by legallydead
Just dont buy a distortion pedal period. The only person that has gotten a solid sound out of only a pedal for distortion, was Mr. Cobain. Just save your money, and buy a tube amp. End of story. OH and a tube screamer would be nice with ANY tube head, combo amp.

IIRC, Metallica used Pro Co Rats for Kill 'em All.
My band plays just about everything, mostly classic rock, and some old school punk. The Clash, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Knack, The Strokes. We play a lot of originals in my band as wall which range from clean with verb and chorus, to a crunchy, driven tone. I'm going to get a nicer amp this summer by the way.
What amp would that be? We can't help you without specifics, dude.
As of now, I play a Line 6 Spider 3, pretty nice, bu like any one of those sort of amps, they only take you so far. I plan to make a pedalboard with DIstortion/Overdrive, Digital Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Wah and a Compression Sustainer. I just need a good suggestion of an amp to buy this summer, under $400.
Find a used Peavey Classic 30 and get either an Ibanez TS-9 or a Devi Ever Hyperion. The Hyperion is a fuzz, but it should give you the extra boost needed to play anything like the bands you just listed.