Im looking to buy a combo tube amp, because right now im stuck with a line 6 spider 3

I play mostly Pop-punk, metal, and alternative.
My price range is a maximum of 1300 dollars
Either a Marshall JCM2000 DSL combo, an Egnater Tweaker with a boost for Metal, or if you want to get an EXTREMELY nice amp, but spend LOADS of money (maybe $150 more than you have now), try Fryette. I hear the Pitbull is a very nice amp.
Quote by youngapprentice
I'd say just go with the Peavey 6505.
With your budget you could even get the 2x12 if you wanted.

Great amp but I wouldn't suggest it for alt or pop punk

on topic: check out the new Randall RT50c
amp
NAMM demo
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by bbetances
twin 'verb? can get a used reissue for around $1000

Absolute worst amp you could possibly recommend in a million years for what he wants. Have you even played a Twin?

TS, the Egnater Renegade would be a solid amp. If you want to go a bit cheaper, JCM900s are pretty much a staple of punk.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Absolute worst amp you could possibly recommend in a million years for what he wants. Have you even played a Twin?

sure have. just suggesting he play one, never said he had to buy it.
Quote by bbetances

... do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Quote by bbetances

Thats about as useful as suggesting he goes to try a 6505 for blues.
Sure, he could do it, but ultimately its useless.
Quote by bbetances

I'm gonna start telling people to try amps that don't fit their needs too. It just makes so much sense.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
thanks for the suggestions but would a 1x12 be loud enough for band practices and small-medium gigs, but not to loud that i cant bedroom jam?
A 1x12 would definitely be loud enough, and quiet enough (when need be), for gigs and bedroom. Especially the Egnater Tweaker.
Quote by mmolteratx

TS, the Egnater Renegade would be a solid amp. If you want to go a bit cheaper, JCM900s are pretty much a staple of punk.

+2 for the renegade. i have it and absolutely love it. i think i am a Egnater customer for life now, no lie.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by FairyBoy423
thanks for the suggestions but would a 1x12 be loud enough for band practices and small-medium gigs, but not to loud that i cant bedroom jam?

you're kinda misinterpreting this - the number/size of speakers really isnt relevant. its the wattage.

a 15w SS amp isnt gonna be loud enough for a metal jam whether its run through a 1x10 or 2 4x12 cabs.

likewise, a 50w tube amp will be more than loud enough through a 1x12 or a 4x12. its just different tonal response.
The Renegade is definitely something worth checking out.

You can also consider this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-MTS-Series-RM20-15W-Guitar-Amp-Head-without-Modules?sku=481125#used

You'll get alot of module flexibility.

Alternatively, a Peavey Classic 30 will give you the sounds you need with lots of money left over.

Or if you want something high end...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TA15/

+

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20112.htm

Yeah its not a combo, but at least you won't have a lug a back-breaking combo around
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by littlephil
Thats about as useful as suggesting he goes to try a 6505 for blues.
Sure, he could do it, but ultimately its useless.

Not ultimatley useless, the Fender Twin is actually a great punk amp. Don't believe me? Listen to the Sex Pistols.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Not ultimatley useless, the Fender Twin is actually a great punk amp. Don't believe me? Listen to the Sex Pistols.

But for Metal? I don't think so. If anything he's better off with either the Marshall JCM2000 DSL or JCM900 combo.

v If he wanted to experiment, he wouldn't have asked for suggestions. We're just giving advice based on what certain amp are known to be good for.
Last edited by phlip999 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard

+1 for someone who doesnt like to confine certain gear to a certain genre. You never know what tones you can get if you experiment a bit.

or all metal heads can stick to Peaveys, all bluesmen are confined to Fenders/VOXs, etc.

thats the way it seems to be around here.

EDIT: then again, I can agree with the guy above me. but metal didnt seem like his preference. for 1300 id think he wants something he can get a variety of tones from. and since he specified that he wants a tube, i had to go with the best tube amp. if he didnt say tube id have to say Vypyr or Line6 just because of the myraid tones you can get out of them, including metal.
Last edited by bbetances at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by phlip999
But for Metal? I don't think so. If anything he's better off with either the Marshall JCM2000 DSL or JCM900 combo.

v If he wanted to experiment, he wouldn't have asked for suggestions.

I've heard a Fender Twin used for metal heaps of times, all it needs is a boost.
However, I do agree with your recommendations that a JCM900/2000 is a better option.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

But thats not all the TS plays, he said pop-punk, metal and alternative.
There are lots of amps out there that would be better than a Twin for what he wants. Plus, by pop-punk I'm guessing he means more modern 'punk', not like the Sex Pistols.
Either way, my point was its really not the best suggestion.
i still don't think we should criticize other people's suggestions. respect other members' opinions you know?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by littlephil
There are lots of amps out there that would be better than a Twin for what he wants. Plus, by pop-punk I'm guessing he means more modern 'punk', not like the Sex Pistols.

Well, a Fender Twin will pull of "alternative" with aplomb. If he only plays a little bit of metal then a boost in front of it would suffice.
As I said in my previous post however, a JCM900 or JCM2000 would be a better choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by littlephil

it was a silly suggestion. almost a joke really. but more of a joke I knew you'd all laugh at because I, for one, wasn't. Just trying to get people out there and try stuff they normally wouldn't do. with the right OD pedal, im sure you can get something different.
Quote by bbetances
it was a silly suggestion. almost a joke really. but more of a joke I knew you'd all laugh at because I, for one, wasn't. Just trying to get people out there and try stuff they normally wouldn't do. with the right OD pedal, im sure you can get something different.

Fair enough!

Sorry if I came of as a bit of a dick
Last edited by littlephil at Jun 6, 2010,
Okay so ill definetly check out the marshall 800/900/2000 combos out and the renegade. But how about a Vox Ac30c2? It just came out this year and is only 980$, have any of you guys played it yet?
Quote by FairyBoy423
Okay so ill definetly check out the marshall 800/900/2000 combos out and the renegade. But how about a Vox Ac30c2? It just came out this year and is only 980$, have any of you guys played it yet?

from my experience, ac30s sound very British, if that makes a bit of sense to you.