Page 1 of 2
Lately I've had the urge to try violin. I really want to buy a cheap one fro around $70 off of craigslist and test my luck.

So, is there anyone who plays violin and how difficult is it to learn? Does experience with guitar help? I find myself craving one right now for some reason.

Thanks.
if you intend to be any good at it you had better be prepared to put in hours of daily practise and learn sheet music etc... violin is much much harder to learn than guitar and you will need to put a lot of time and effort into it
Quote by priest.fan.
if you intend to be any good at it you had better be prepared to put in hours of daily practise and learn sheet music etc... violin is much much harder to learn than guitar and you will need to put a lot of time and effort into it

Yeah thats what I feared, sheet music. I can't read music. I do a lot of guitar by feel, and I was hoping that I could maybe attempt violin and slowly understand it by feel (very slowly)
I play(ed) viola and it is very similar (it's what a baritone guitar is to a guitar in a way) and I found that you can't teach yourself as much as you can with a guitar. If you want to learn the violin, get a teacher, and be prepared to learn some really really simple, lame songs at first, but it will be ultimately very rewarding to your guitar playing and your musical abilities overall.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I had the same urge as you...I can play guitar fairly well and I wanted a violin, so i bought a really cheap $50 violin, and it was fun to play around with. There are no frets, so you'll have to know the pitch of the right notes...you'll need to know sheet music also....Knowing guitar mainly only helps with your fretting hand, and maybe with your knowledge of music theory...You have to put the right pressure on the bow and keep it in the right place on the strings, cheap violins go out of tune fairly easily too
Quote by †Eidolon†
I had the same urge as you...I can play guitar fairly well and I wanted a violin, so i bought a really cheap $50 violin, and it was fun to play around with. There are no frets, so you'll have to know the pitch of the right notes...you'll need to know sheet music also....Knowing guitar mainly only helps with your fretting hand, and maybe with your knowledge of music theory...You have to put the right pressure on the bow and keep it in the right place on the strings, cheap violins go out of tune fairly easily too

I'm aware that they are fretless and know this will be a challenge.
Does the pressure of the bow change the note?
It's a very hard instrument to pick up, it's extremely difficult to get a good sound out of it (especially the beginner ones) and you either need a very good ear or a very good teacher you help you out with fingerings and proper notes.

I seriously recommend getting a teacher for picking up a fretless instrument especially the violin, it will save you so much anguish in the long run.
Quote by priest.fan.

+1
And I think you also have to have a pretty good ear to get the notes at the right pitch.
Quote by Mugg74
I'm aware that they are fretless and know this will be a challenge.
Does the pressure of the bow change the note?

No, the pressure doesn't change the note....but if you push down too hard/soft then it'll make it sound scratchy or it'll make a nasty high pitched whine
Does anyone know if Guitar Center has violins? I might want to head over there to test one out, although I hate playing in guitar center.

My local hole in the wall music shop closed after 25 years and they had violins, but I never thought about trying one until now.
Quote by Mugg74
Does anyone know if Guitar Center has violins? I might want to head over there to test one out, although I hate playing in guitar center.

My local hole in the wall music shop closed after 25 years and they had violins, but I never thought about trying one until now.

I checked their website, i couldn't find any violins, so I doubt they have them.
Quote by †Eidolon†
I checked their website, i couldn't find any violins, so I doubt they have them.

Thanks for checking, I feel really lazy now for not checking myself . But, I just remember a music shop right across the street from GC that will most likely have some, so ill try that out tomorrow hopefully. I'll let yall know how it it goes. Thanks for the input!
Make sure you learn the positions correctly, if you learn improper position it really can **** you over.

Rush sucks.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by SimplyStrings
Make sure you learn the positions correctly, if you learn improper position it really can **** you over.

Rush sucks.

Not sure where the Rush comment came from. I don't like them that much either, but kind of random.

But thanks for the input.
Quote by Mugg74
Not sure where the Rush comment came from. I don't like them that much either, but kind of random.

So innocent.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
my wife plays violin in some Orchastras and string quartets....she started playing at age 3...her bow cost more than my guitar and amp combined! and we wont go into her violin, lets just say it cost more than some new cars!
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
Quote by Mugg74
Not sure where the Rush comment came from.

you just made my day
Quote by Mugg74

But thanks for the input.

*wipes tear from eye*
Go Veg.
Of all the string instruments, the violin (being the highest common stringed instrument) is one of the hardest to master.

No frets, and each position gives a different effect; a teacher is a must.

And expect to sound crap for about 12 years. One of my friends started playing when she was 4 or 5. She's not thick or rubbish, but it's only in the last 2 years that she's gotten to orchestral standard.

You could always give the cello a go as it's lower range gives it a far more pleasing sound.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by im not mental

*wipes tear from eye*

I cant help but feel as if I'm left out of some inside joke or something about Rush.
my second violin class was yesteday,the hands positions is hard and frustating for now but i least i can play a simple melody...well almost LOL
Quote by Mugg74
I cant help but feel as if I'm left out of some inside joke or something about Rush.

Just wait.
Quote by Mugg74

Don't worry, it isn't aimed at you.

Aww, the tongue smiley made it look sarcastic, I'm being serious.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Yeah, to the OP, violin is fun but it's seriously funking hard.

Get a teacher. Practice constantly. Repeat until you're good enough.

Also, to the Rush comment, please go and die.
Can I ask why everyone seems to dislike Fassa? I mean I left for a few months and came back and everyone seems down on him.
Quote by Todd Hart
Can I ask why everyone seems to dislike Fassa? I mean I left for a few months and came back and everyone seems down on him.

I'm female.

Also, I have no idea.
Quote by Will Swanson
If it makes you feel any better, I love Rush, and Neil Peart is the best drummer of all time ever.

I love you.
Quote by Will Swanson
If it makes you feel any better, I love Rush, and Neil Peart is the best drummer of all time ever.

No, John Bonham.
I like rush but not Neil is not.

To the OP, I dont play violin, but you going need a good ear and need to be able to read sheet music. Its not hard to read it after you learn.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by Blackwaterson89
No, John Bonham.
I like rush but not Neil is not.

To the OP, I dont play violin, but you going need a good ear and need to be able to read sheet music. Its not hard to read it after you learn.

What the funk?! Neil Peart> all.

And yes, sheet music is easy to learn
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
What the funk?! Neil Peart> all.

And yes, sheet music is easy to learn

No, not at all. Go listen to early Zeppelin and Zeppelin 4. Lars is better then Neil.

And yeah, I had to learn sheet music in choir. Its still comes in handy. Do worry op, you will be able to do it.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
It's common knowledge that John Bonham is the best drummer to ever exist. I don't even think Neil Peart is in the top 20. Hell, maybe not even the top 100.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Quote by SimplyStrings
It's common knowledge that John Bonham is the best drummer to ever exist. I don't even think Neil Peart is in the top 20. Hell, maybe not even the top 100.

But if we really want to argue this it would be better to it in the classic rock thread, unless there is a drum thread I dont know about.

Good luck to the OP. If you can learn to Violin well, I envy you.
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by Will Swanson
It's just for political and moral reasons.

Now I have to see if there's room in my sig.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm female.

Also, I have no idea.

Oh...sorry.

And I've never really listened to Rush.
Page 1 of 2