No, I don't think there's anything wrong with it
69 61%
Other take on it
4 4%
Unsure
13 11%
Voters: 114.
Page 1 of 2
My sister is friends with this one guy, and she knows his friends, too. She one day told me as if she thought it was weird that a lot of his friends use dating websites like eHarmony or match.com, and I was just sort of thinking "So?", and then a little bit later, I asked my sister just out of curiousity what she'd think if I ever started using a site like that. And I can't remember word for word what she said, but to sum it up, she basically thinks it's kind of pathetic or pitiful to use sites like that.

I personally don't use them for two reasons. 1. I think I'm a bit too young (I'm 19) and I wouldn't want to use a site like that until I'm living out on my own. 2. Money.

But I personally think there's no shame in using sites like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if I gave them a try when I'm in my early or mid twenties.

So Pit, do you think there's any shame in using these dating sites (and I mean dating/relationship sites, not sites where people look for someone to hook up one night only for sex)?
Last edited by The Madcap at Jun 5, 2010,
I don't see the big deal. By the way, you make a lot of threads man.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Holy.
I don't see the big deal. By the way, you make a lot of threads man.
Yeah, I know. So far nobody really complains though, and many people have given me encouragement about it, so I'm still sticking with my normal routine. If people start getting annoyed, I'll cut it down.
Nothing wrong with using technology to your advantage.

Besides the biggest excuse that anybody is going to use is "Meeting people on the internet is pathetic." I've met a lot of cool people on UG that I talk to commonly, and im glad that I did.
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, I know. So far nobody really complains though, and many people have given me encouragement about it, so I'm still sticking with my normal routine. If people start getting annoyed, I'll cut it down.

Nah, not annoying. Just something I've noticed, lol.
LARGE TEXT
It's becoming commonplace so I don't see anything wrong with it really. I'll probably end up using it to find a wife
Quote by Holy.
Nah, not annoying. Just something I've noticed, lol.
Yah, I don't know how many I've made though, because after you've made 500, the little "Threads made by _______" thing on people's profile doesn't search for more than that.
I don't really care if people use them or not. I will say this, one of my ex-girlfriends uses one, and shes only dated absolutely bat shit crazy guys from them. I don't think it's intentional on her part. I would not use one.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Nothing wrong with using technology to your advantage.

Besides the biggest excuse that anybody is going to use is "Meeting people on the internet is pathetic." I've met a lot of cool people on UG that I talk to commonly, and im glad that I did.

I met a girl in person that I met here a few months ago. I'm meeting another in a few days. It's not like UG is a dating website, it just happened like that. But I don't care at all that I met them through the internet. Not to mention all the friends I have on here that are dudes. Speaking of... *adds*
I have no intention to use a dating site but I really don't care if others, including those I know well, use them. Dating is a somewhat private thing anyways and website aside, there's always a chance of meeting a creeper.
I don't think I'd ever use one, but if you have trouble meeting people in real life, by all means use a dating site. It's a good tool that shouldn't go to waste.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by captaincrunk
I met a girl in person that I met here a few months ago

You can do that?
Madcap makes a lot of good threads though.

My parents are divorced. My dad is working all the time and has little to no way to meet women. I know he's used dating websites before but I don't now if they've helped him or not. I don't see how he would have met his current girlfriend without one considering she lives pretty far away. Under normal circumstances he'd probably still be alone. I see no problem with using what you can.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by captaincrunk
I met a girl in person that I met here a few months ago. I'm meeting another in a few days. It's not like UG is a dating website, it just happened like that. But I don't care at all that I met them through the internet. Not to mention all the friends I have on here that are dudes. Speaking of... *adds*

*Accepts*

I actually haven't met any UG'ers in person, but I wouldn't mind meeting any of the regulars, even if I don't "agree" with them on issues it could still make a good experience.

Thats a sweet story though, hope you have fun with her.

And you don't have to date the person to meet them though. A lot of people consider internet friends to not be real, but I do. They have thoughts and feelings too right?
nothing wrong with it IMO. I've joined a couple just to see who it shows in my area... very few attractive girls showed up, and the ones that did had profiles that made me back away slowly.
If it makes people happy, then why give a ****?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Now I want to meet some UG'ers.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Yeah, there's a few people here I think it'd be cool to meet. But none are around Houston I don't think.
Quote by element4433
If it makes people happy, then why give a ****?

Well if we said that about every harmless activity we'd have to care for one another and get along. Wait...

Quote by BladeSlinger

SteveHouse is in OK
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, there's a few people here I think it'd be cool to meet. But none are around Houston I don't think.

I used to live in Houston.

Oh well.
Quote by captaincrunk
Yes, yes I can. Actually, there's a UG midwest meet up soon if plans fall into place. UG is awesome

Where's that gonna go down?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I voted it's pathetic... but that's not what I really think.

I voted that way because for me, that would be like giving up trying to meet someone in person. And the thing is... I actually have access to women... But now that I think about it, it must be really hard for certain people who are no longer in school to just meet women. I dont have a damn clue how you do it to be honest... when you're in school things just sort of fall into place, but in real life, what are you supposed to do? Join a yoga club?
Quote by captaincrunk
Well if we said that about every harmless activity we'd have to care for one another and get along. Wait...
You're right.

I'm going to judge everybody accordingly!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by rmr024
I voted it's pathetic... but that's not what I really think.

I voted that way because for me, that would be like giving up trying to meet someone in person. And the thing is... I actually have access to women... But now that I think about it, it must be really hard for certain people who are no longer in school to just meet women. I dont have a damn clue how you do it to be honest... when you're in school things just sort of fall into place, but in real life, what are you supposed to do? Join a yoga club?
That's one reason why people go to clubs, but a lot of people I know hate the clubbing scene (me too).
I use OkCupid, and have for about two months. Right now, I've been talking to a 21-year-old woman for a little over a week. She seems really cool.

Madcap, you aren't too young for dating sites. Plenty of people your age use them.
Quote by captaincrunk

SteveHouse is in OK

I didn't know this. I've seen a couple Oklahomans on here but not many. Maybe I'll randomly run in to one in Seattle next week. Guitarists like Seattle right?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
online dating is just another way to meet people. I think the phobia is based on the fact that you can't physically see the person, and that anything internet/computer related is lame and anti-social. In some ways it's sort of better than meeting someone in person, say at a bar, or even randomly somewhere. because when you see someone in person you base your first encounter with someone based on physical attraction that means she/he could be a total bitch and more often than not, you'll forgive that. You can hate someone and still want to date them cause they're hot...just for a little while before you go insane that is.

Online it's based off a system of understanding what you want in a partner and specifically picking them out. You get a chance to reason and think about what you want, and why.

Online dating basically takes the fun away from the 'chase' but it offers people who are through playing mind games and want to get straight to the point of having a relationship: to be with someone who shares your same ambitions, wants, needs..whatever.

I'm not for or against online dating, but I think people should keep an open mind. I've tried online dating before as a sort of social experiment when I was single, and I had a blast. I dated several girls and learned what I liked and what I didn't like about them, it really helped me figure out what I wanted and where I stand when it comes to girls I want to share a great deal of my time with. I didn't end up getting into anything serious, I ended up dating a friend's friend instead, but the experience was definitely worth it....ya, sorry for the novel.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by Holy Katana
I use OkCupid, and have for about two months. Right now, I've been talking to a 21-year-old woman for a little over a week. She seems really cool.

Madcap, you aren't too young for dating sites. Plenty of people your age use them.
Hmm, really? If I were to use one, I'd want it to be sort of a tame site (not a site for flings or anything). I dunno, maybe I'll look into it a little if I get a better job/work more hours and get more money. Because as many people have already said, it's hard to meet people outside of school, and even though I go to community college, my classes are small and not very many people are around my age, let alone single women my age.
That's the thing that sucks. It would be cool to meet up with people but I don't think most people would drive for a few hours to hang out with one or two UGers. Unless they were good friends.

I just remembered, I know of one who lives about 40 minutes from me.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
That's the thing that sucks. It would be cool to meet up with people but I don't think most people would drive for a few hours to hang out with one or two UGers. Unless they were good friends.

I just remembered, I know of one who lives about 40 minutes from me.

I'm flying the person I'm meeting all the way from california.

Meebo has really changed UG for me. If any of you don't use meebo, you're really missing out on a lot! I use the meebo site, instead of the bar on UG, so that it doesn't bother me.
Maybe I'll get on some time. I need to add more people. We have an IRC room don't we? I used to get on but I don't remember seeing people I knew.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by captaincrunk
I'm flying the person I'm meeting all the way from california.

Meebo has really changed UG for me. If any of you don't use meebo, you're really missing out on a lot! I use the meebo site, instead of the bar on UG, so that it doesn't bother me.

I turned mine off because my computer is ghetto and bunch of people that I have never even seen before in the pit tried talking to me a lot.
Quote by The Madcap
Hmm, really? If I were to use one, I'd want it to be sort of a tame site (not a site for flings or anything). I dunno, maybe I'll look into it a little if I get a better job/work more hours and get more money. Because as many people have already said, it's hard to meet people outside of school, and even though I go to community college, my classes are small and not very many people are around my age, let alone single women my age.

I have the same problem. I go to community college, and everyone's either taken or way too old for me. And most of them aren't all that smart, either, which is kind of a requirement for me to date someone.

OkCupid is pretty cool, since it's free, but doesn't suck like PlentyOfFish does. It also has fewer single moms.

By the way, while you do make tons of threads, they're mostly good ones, unlike a certain Australian threadstarter's. I wish I could make even a quarter of the threads you do. In fact I was thinking about making a thread just like this the other day, but I figured I'd get a lot of negative backlash.
Page 1 of 2