It teaches you an easy accessible way to learn all notes in a specific scale across the fretboard. On the other hand, if you need a reason to learn such a thing, maybe you shouldn't bother.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It helps you recognize and play numerous chords and chord fragments and expands your knowledge of the fretboard - learning it will pay dividends for your playing.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AlanHB
It teaches you an easy accessible way to learn all notes in a specific scale across the fretboard. On the other hand, if you need a reason to learn such a thing, maybe you shouldn't bother.

we all learn new things because they are useful in one way or another...so its fair for me to get a reason
Quote by AlanHB

Sometimes people like to understand what and why they are doing things, I mean, if you know why and are able to post, then why not help the guy? you are a mod, you should be ashamed for having such attitude.
Quote by mangoman13
we all learn new things because they are useful in one way or another...so its fair for me to get a reason

Well I can't give you a reason - you'll have to do that yourself. Just ask yourself whether you want to learn scales throughout the fretboard, and eventually apply them. If you don't - no reason.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by 12345abcd3
Personally, I think notes on the fretboard +scale construction is more useful in the long run but the caged system gives quicker results.

this.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Personally, I think notes on the fretboard +scale construction is more useful in the long run but the caged system gives quicker results.

Only if you think of the CAGED system as a way of learning the notes of the fretboard.

It's more of a system of thinking about playing the notes. It's one way of relating notes to chords (in pattern form) and it's also a good way to help you think about finger positioning.

...of course it can be either (system of shapes, way of learning notes), but there are more in-depth ways of learning the notes of the fretboard.