I'm interested in buying a tube amp. Combo, not just the head. Below 100 watts.

Problem is I don't know too much about what there is for combo amps. I see Peavey has the 6505+ in a 60 watt combo out for like 600$. That's alot of 6s. Though I've saw some places sell it for 1200......what the hell is up with that? Why the price jump for the same amp?

Also, how much volume difference would there be between (just an example) a 60 watt 6505+ versus the 120 version?
uh about double the volume.

A 60 Watt version you might be able to turn up to maybe 3 and the volume would be good for bedroom levels. The 120W version the volume on maybe 1 or half (.5) would net you the same volume.
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at Jun 5, 2010,
You go from deafening to your skull splitting in half.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Phat Stud 55
uh about double the volume.

A 60 Watt version you might be able to turn up to maybe 3 and the volume would be good for bedroom levels. The 120W version the volume on maybe 1 or half (.5) would net you the same volume.

FALSE. Do not listen to that. They are not twice as loud. Yes, louder, but not by that much. I would say twice the wattage would be a 20% increase in loudness? Just a rough estimate.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
There's a lot of good combos out there. A lot depends on what you play. The 6505s tend to be gain monsters. I see Randall has a combo variant of their T2 head which looks pretty cool. What kind of sound are you into?
Quote by celticstorm84
There's a lot of good combos out there. A lot depends on what you play. The 6505s tend to be gain monsters. I see Randall has a combo variant of their T2 head which looks pretty cool. What kind of sound are you into?

Mostly metal but I like to play a bit of everything that has an electric guitar in it.
The 6505 is a great amp, as long as you're not too picky about the clean channel. It's workable but nothing great. I'd suggest trying one if you can. Depending on your budget you could always go used.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
FALSE. Do not listen to that. They are not twice as loud. Yes, louder, but not by that much. I would say twice the wattage would be a 20% increase in loudness? Just a rough estimate.

LOL just having some fun man.
Crazy you guys say that, because I can't even turn my Peavey 30W up past 1 on a dirty channel without pissing everybody off.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Crazy you guys say that, because I can't even turn my Peavey 30W up past 1 on a dirty channel without pissing everybody off.

Vypr is modeling is it not?

I have a modeling amp. If I turn it up past 1 on a dirty channel it pisses everyone off. That might also because the channel volume is all the way up...............and it has shit tone.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
LOL just having some fun man.

By giving false information Sounds real fun.

Yeah I agree, budget, willing to go used, bands you listen to etc, TS.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Rogue Hermit

not directed at Rouge Hermit, just clarifying what he said, doubling the wattage of and amp actually only gives approx 3dB increase in volume. headroom is another thing though...