Hi all.I'm new to UG and I came here with alot of questions that hopefully some one can give me a good opinion on. So a little about me and what i'm looking for.
I've been playing (tinkering/w) the guitar for about 15 yrs.Mind you its just been a bedroom hobby up until this point w/ the occasional jam at a friends house.But now i'm trying to take it to the next level (learning music theory and all).And one of the problems I find that i'm having is I dont like the sound coming out of the amp.Not that my playing is completely terrible but I find the sound uninspiring and not at all what I want to hear. The gear I have now is a Marshall AVT150H w/AVT 412 cab,early 70's bassman-amp,Epi Les Paul standard,Epi SG Custom Prophecy.
What I like to play:Black Sabbath is one of my favfavorites and i'm trying to learn to play the Blues.SRV,Joe bonamassa and really anything Rock N Roll.Although I like pretty much all kinds of music thats the direction i'm going.(Rockin Blues and old school metal).So what i'm thinking about doing is selling the AVT head and buying a new amp and maby trading up on a new guitar or changing pickups.Or using the Bassman-amp w/a good fx processor and eather upgrading the speakers in the AVT cab or building my owne 2x12 cab and selling the AVT head and cab together.As far as amps go I was looking into the Mesa Boggie Roadster,Fender supersonic and a crap load of others.Unfortunately I cant go and play all the amps and all the guitars(would be cool) to see how each one sounds + they always sound different when you get them home.Ultimately I would like to sound like my favorite bands but also have alot of room to play with to get my owne sound.

I hope this wasn't to much and thank you for taking the time to read it.
I hope to here some good opinions.

Thanks all. Bob
1. Ya gotta paragraph mate
2. Budget?
3. Fine with used gear?
4. (More for others really) Location?

IMO, you could look at the Mesa Boogie Lonestar
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
1. Ya gotta paragraph mate
2. Budget?
3. Fine with used gear?
4. (More for others really) Location?

IMO, you could look at the Mesa Boogie Lonestar

Ya i've been curious about the Lonestar.As far as Mesa products its a toss up between that and the roadster. But no where around me (Illinois) stocks either of them and they have to be orderd.And to pay $2000+ for an amp that I dont know how it sounds is kinda tuff for me to swallow.And,i've been reading that thes amps are having problems out of the box. If I was sure that a particular amp was solution to my sound problem,I would have no problem signing my name to get that $2000+ amp. Or atleast go through the trouble of bringing it home for the trial period.
There are a lot of options out ther so your opinions and experience with the the amps is appreciated.
Quote by The Writ
Ya i've been curious about the Lonestar.As far as Mesa products its a toss up between that and the roadster. But no where around me (Illinois) stocks either of them and they have to be orderd.And to pay $2000+ for an amp that I dont know how it sounds is kinda tuff for me to swallow.And,i've been reading that thes amps are having problems out of the box. If I was sure that a particular amp was solution to my sound problem,I would have no problem signing my name to get that $2000+ amp. Or atleast go through the trouble of bringing it home for the trial period.
There are a lot of options out ther so your opinions and experience with the the amps is appreciated.

The Lonestar and roadster sound quite different from each other.

I have the MkV, and channel 1's Clean mode is supposed to be based on the Lonestar... I'd describe it as pristine and crisp. If that helps at all.

Also, problem with a Mesa product? That's practically unheard of.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Sabbath huh? Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature. You'll cream your pants.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sabbath huh? Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature. You'll cream your pants.

The Laney would definitely be verry cool and get the Sabbath sound exactly but how is it for an SRV sound or like a rock n roll blues sound?
Backing off the gain will give quite a good rock sound. I'd suggest you give it a try, even if you can't get precisely the sound you are after for other music you may love the Sabbath sound it produces so much that you are prepared to live with it. Find one in a shop and try it, even if you don't buy it I guarantee that you'll have fun trying it out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification