can it handle heavy metal?
for example metallica...
and a couple of tube screamer questions
what does it do? adds gain?
and whats the difference between a regular one and a modded one?
and since im pretty sure im getting the ht5, what reverb pedals are good?
is the "Electro-Harmonix XO Holy Grail Plus Variable Reverb" good?
thanks in advance for answering my stupid questions
with an overdrive it can but without it it cannot
well most people use Tube screamers to tighten up the sound with the level on full and gain on 0 but it pushes the tubes harder so you get a more saturated sound
not sure about reverb though
in terms of an OD or reverb? on a budget boss sd-1 or bad monkey
if you've got some cash floating around a ts-9 is probably the best
really can't say with reverb
where are you located?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
There are a few mods done on tubescreamers. The most popular ones are:
Bass enhancements (the TS has terrible bass response that makes it appear to have a mid-hump - it doesn't, it's simply lacking bass).
Extending the range of the drive control so it cleans up better on 0 and adds more distortion on 10.
Swapping the 4558 with a JRC4558. The old JRC4558 is hard to come by now but SMT versions are plentiful. I don't think this particular mod does a lot.
Upgrades to the FET switching or simply replacing it with a true bypass.

There are some others but those are the main ones.

PS: where you live is important because availability and cost varies from country to country.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 5, 2010,
There are lots of decent reverbs out there. I'm still very happy with my Alesis Quadraverb which is a rack unit and can be picked up fairly cheap these days on ebay.
The Holy Grail is pretty good for a pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by philipk
im everywhere
why does it matter?

because if your in the UK im selling my HT5

and reverb the hold grail is pretty sweet

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by philipk
im not in the uk....
why are you selling it?

i need a gigging amp and more headroom and gain

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
so..............
is a modded ts9 the best option to get more gain?
and whats the best reverb pedal i can get?
reasonable price ofc
Ignore this post, bad advice.
Last edited by Effecient at Jun 5, 2010,
im actually talking about the ht5 combo :[]
and thats why im asking, what pedal should i get and what reverb pedal sohuld i get since theres no built in reverb
I've got a combo with a hardwire tl2

This gave me the option to get all sorts of heavy metal tones,haven't tried and OD yet.
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
First time I've ever been e-mailed specifically to reply to a thread. Eh well, might as well run through this.

Blackstar HT5: never touched a Blackstar amp other than some tiny combo once. It could have been the HT5 - judging by Google Image Search, it looks the same as the one I tried - but I couldn't say for sure and I wouldn't feel confident passing judgement on it.

Tube Screamer: it doesn't add gain, it effectively increases the sheer volume of the signal before it hits the front end of your amp. It does have a gain control of its own which will add in its own form of clipping, but this is not the same as your amp's clipping (gain) will be. A mid-power overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer is great if your already like your amp's distorted tone and you just want to push it that bit further (perhaps as a boost for making solos stand out), but it's not going to revolutionise your tone and it can't push you into metal territory by itself if your amp isn't suitable. Additionally, it has a notable tone of its own, you don't buy a Tube Screamer to get 'a boost', you buy a Tube Screamer to get 'a Tube Screamer sound'. For what it's worth, most of Iron Maiden's most famous tones have come from a Tube Screamer and already heavily driven Marshall amplifiers. That is, in my opinion, the maximum you can push them to. If you wanted to replace your amp's distorted tone I would suggest a dedicated distortion pedal instead, if you wanted to really push an amp into real wall-of-inaudible-noise distortion, there are a number of other overdrive pedals I would recommend over the Tube Screamer.

Regular vs modded: depends on the modifications. Usually people try to mod the newer Tube Screamers to either bring a slightly more vintage tone to them ala the early Tube Screamers (slightly thicker lower-mids), or they mod them just to be able to be pushed a little further. Honestly, I have never heard a modified Tube Screamer that sounded good enough and unique enough to justify bothering with it. There are so many other pedals out there, if you want a different tone then you should just buy a different pedal.

Reverb pedals: I'm a big fan of the Digitech HardWire series. Best pedals on the market as far as I'm concerned, if you can justify their higher price tags. For a little less, I'd pick the EHX Holy Grail. Neither of these pedals are cheap, but cheap reverb always sounds terrible. It's not an effect you want to skimp on. With that in mind, think about how much you actually use reverb. You need to spend quite a bit of money to get a reverb pedal that sounds anything close to decent, but I know personally I would never use one that much (hence why I borrow them often but have never bought one myself). It's very easy to end up wasting a lot of money on an army of pedals you never use (I know I have), make sure you actually want what a pedal does and that you'll use it often before you buy it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Alright,

Can an HT-5 do Metallica? Early stuff, yah sure. Can it do Cannibal Corpse, no.

What does a Tube Screamer do? Gives you a slightly 'tighter' sound while also useful for piling on a little extra gain.

Reverb pedal? The Hardwire RV-7. It's jammed full of Lexicon reverbs that sound great.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Alright,

Can an HT-5 do Metallica? Early stuff, yah sure. Can it do Cannibal Corpse, no.

What does a Tube Screamer do? Gives you a slightly 'tighter' sound while also useful for piling on a little extra gain.

Reverb pedal? The Hardwire RV-7. It's jammed full of Lexicon reverbs that sound great.

Trust me, it can do a lot heavier than Metallica. It depends on how it's EQ'd and what guitar you use. With my MK Patriot and my BM boosting it it will get me to Metallica but not any heavier. But when I use my Jackson DK2M, it easily does Metallica without a boost or even the gain on full. I play stuff like Children of Bodom on it with the gain on my BM on 0.5 and the level up, a lot depends on the guitar and the pickups.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by MrFlibble
First time I've ever been e-mailed specifically to reply to a thread. Eh well, might as well run through this.

Blackstar HT5: never touched a Blackstar amp other than some tiny combo once. It could have been the HT5 - judging by Google Image Search, it looks the same as the one I tried - but I couldn't say for sure and I wouldn't feel confident passing judgement on it.

Tube Screamer: it doesn't add gain, it effectively increases the sheer volume of the signal before it hits the front end of your amp. It does have a gain control of its own which will add in its own form of clipping, but this is not the same as your amp's clipping (gain) will be. A mid-power overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer is great if your already like your amp's distorted tone and you just want to push it that bit further (perhaps as a boost for making solos stand out), but it's not going to revolutionise your tone and it can't push you into metal territory by itself if your amp isn't suitable. Additionally, it has a notable tone of its own, you don't buy a Tube Screamer to get 'a boost', you buy a Tube Screamer to get 'a Tube Screamer sound'. For what it's worth, most of Iron Maiden's most famous tones have come from a Tube Screamer and already heavily driven Marshall amplifiers. That is, in my opinion, the maximum you can push them to. If you wanted to replace your amp's distorted tone I would suggest a dedicated distortion pedal instead, if you wanted to really push an amp into real wall-of-inaudible-noise distortion, there are a number of other overdrive pedals I would recommend over the Tube Screamer.

Regular vs modded: depends on the modifications. Usually people try to mod the newer Tube Screamers to either bring a slightly more vintage tone to them ala the early Tube Screamers (slightly thicker lower-mids), or they mod them just to be able to be pushed a little further. Honestly, I have never heard a modified Tube Screamer that sounded good enough and unique enough to justify bothering with it. There are so many other pedals out there, if you want a different tone then you should just buy a different pedal.

Reverb pedals: I'm a big fan of the Digitech HardWire series. Best pedals on the market as far as I'm concerned, if you can justify their higher price tags. For a little less, I'd pick the EHX Holy Grail. Neither of these pedals are cheap, but cheap reverb always sounds terrible. It's not an effect you want to skimp on. With that in mind, think about how much you actually use reverb. You need to spend quite a bit of money to get a reverb pedal that sounds anything close to decent, but I know personally I would never use one that much (hence why I borrow them often but have never bought one myself). It's very easy to end up wasting a lot of money on an army of pedals you never use (I know I have), make sure you actually want what a pedal does and that you'll use it often before you buy it.

well i asked you to reply because i know i can trust your advice
so for now i guess i dont need the boost/od/dist
and about the reverb......
ill think about if i even need one, ill probably just wait and see if i need it
thanks everyone
Quote by robbo546hall
Trust me, it can do a lot heavier than Metallica. It depends on how it's EQ'd and what guitar you use. With my MK Patriot and my BM boosting it it will get me to Metallica but not any heavier. But when I use my Jackson DK2M, it easily does Metallica without a boost or even the gain on full. I play stuff like Children of Bodom on it with the gain on my BM on 0.5 and the level up, a lot depends on the guitar and the pickups.
Thanks tips :p

Your average guitar is going to be able to take an HT-5 into Metallica territory. You might get a little more gain out of it, but it's just not voiced for modern stuff; and yes, I know, stick an EQ in the loop and a good OD out front and bla bla bla, but, I'm addressing the HT-5 as a standalone unit.

Oh, and just so we're clear, I owned an HT-5 long before most of the people on this site had even heard of them. I'm well aware of what you're able to do with one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
It can do early Metallica but it won't be very tight at all and will still need a strong picking attack to sound heavy.

A TS9 makes it just about perfect for 80's metal. You can get the MXR 10 band EQ for more versatility and to lessen the super-compression this amp has if you feel like improving it a little more.

The best pedal reverb i've heard is the Malekko Spring Chicken/Chicklet. It's not cheap but quite amazing to say the least.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...