I have a cort kx1q with passive emg hz's and i want a new bridge pickup. emg only that way they are both emg's
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Gunna be another HZ then, lol
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
why's that?
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
All of EMG pickups (other than HZ) are active pickups so it's gonna be a hassle getting them to work together. Plus you're going to have to do some routing which is either dangerous or expensive depending on whether you do it yourself. Best bet is to replace both.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Unless you want to put in alot of hard work, you can't have an active and a passive in the guitar, so you'd have to get a passive.

EMG passive pickups for metal are the HZ series.

*edit*

Beaten
my pickups were called the EMG-HZ OPEN SA1 & TB1 but were renamed to the oc-1 and the oc-2. oc is for open coil.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-OC1-SRO-OpenCoil-Passive-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=584311

are there any other hz's that are better? i want a good bridge pickup for metal and soloing.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

HZ's aren't the greatest pickups ever, to be honest.

Look at the Dimarzio D-sonic, or the X2N/D-activator as has been suggested
the EMG HZ aren't that good. Get seymour duncans or dimarzio instead.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
so what do you recommend? i prefer seymour duncan.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

You can go active but its easier to do both than mess with different controls. Maybe a better alternative would be the Irongear Steamhammer to replace both pickups at an affordable price, so keeping the matched look while upping the performance with dedicated metal response curves (boosted bass).
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by thundermonty
so what do you recommend? i prefer seymour duncan.

why dont u like dimarzios? they're just as good as seymour duncans. i think that seymour duncans makes better vintage sounding pickups while dimarzio makes better modern sounding pickups.

Check these pickups out
seymour duncans- custom 5,alternative 8
dimarzio - d-sonic, crunchlab, d-activator, steve's special
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube

Two Notes Torpedo Live

I know the best pickup for you!
It's called the Pickup Buying Guide!
It's a sticky at the top! Yay!
..I was watching my death.
didn't know that was there. thank you my good sir!

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Two Notes Torpedo Live

out of those two, the d-activator would be better for metal.
but if i were u, i would get the crunchlab.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
whats so good about the crunchlab?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Screw the HZ series. Get an EMG 81 and 60 in there. IMHO, the EMG 81 is THE ultimate bridge pickup for metal, so there's no point in compromising. Other people will disagree with me for definite.

Also, buy used. You'll get a used EMG 81 for a fraction of that SD retail price.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jun 5, 2010,
how much on average would it cost to have a guy put those in for me?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

A lot more than it is worth imo. Just stick with passives. Can't go wrong with D-Activator or Crunchlab as said before.
A lot more than it would cost for you to buy a soldering iron and some solder.

It's an easy job, and the battery will fit in your current control cavity.
dont get an EMG 81 unless u have a tube amp and like really compressed sterile tone. it's an active pickup and active pickups are meant to push the tubes harder to get more gain out of them. if u have a solid state amp, there are no tubes to push. It'll make the amp clip badly and u'll get a bad tone.

the d-activator is a passive pickup but it was made to sound like an active pickup. if u like the active tone, get that.
the crunchlab sounds crunchy and sounds more natural than an EMG 81. John petrucci is known for using this pickup a lot.
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
figured I'd mention the SD SH-6 distortion, I've got one of those in the bridge of my guitar and I really like it, though I've seen people say they're too bright in a alder type guitar. idk since mine's mahogany, but it sounds great in it.

then again I also prefer more of a 80's thrash style distortion, so if you want a more modern sounding distortion it may not be for you (don't know for sure since I never try to get a modern sound)
Quote by holycow
dont get an EMG 81 unless (1) u have a tube amp and like really compressed sterile tone. it's an active pickup and active pickups are meant to push the tubes harder to get more gain out of them. if u have a solid state amp, there are no tubes to push.(2) It'll make the amp clip badly and u'll get a bad tone.

the d-activator is a passive pickup but it was made to sound like an active pickup. if u like the active tone, get that.
(3) the crunchlab sounds crunchy and sounds more natural than an EMG 81. John petrucci is known for using this pickup a lot.

1. Subjective. I don't find the tone sterile at all, and neither do the legions of EMG followers. Please keep crazy speculation like that out of an advice thread - it's not constructive at all.

2. It'll only make the amp clip badly if you're not set-up properly. Wind the volume back and go easy on the pedals, then you'll have no clipping. Bad tone = subjective.

3. Crunchy pickups are great, but the crunch remains when you try to go clean. You're better off with a strong, clean signal that distorts well AND does clean. Again, "sounds more natural than an EMG 81" is subjective. Also, don't forget that an EMG 81 can be run at 18V to give more headroom and a more organic character. There are also EMG X series models available now.

Edit: Notice how I've put across my advice without slating other suggestions? The whole point is to give TS a wealth of information to make an informed choice, not to battle until only one option remains.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by thundermonty
didn't know that was there. thank you my good sir!

I meant that you are forced to put the question in there.
It's the rules.
I like to uphold the rules. So, do me a favor, and ask this question there.
Thank you for you Cooperation.
Quote by timbit2006
I meant that you are forced to put the question in there.
It's the rules.
I like to uphold the rules. So, do me a favor, and ask this question there.
Thank you for you Cooperation.

It would help if people went in there to help. I have very limited knowledge and it's been me and one other guy for a while. Maybe one or two popping in randomly but no one gets answers in there so they make a thread about it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by BladeSlinger
It would help if people went in there to help. I have very limited knowledge and it's been me and one other guy for a while. Maybe one or two popping in randomly but no one gets answers in there so they make a thread about it.

I see.
I would help, but I have no idea how I would help. My knowledge on pickups is very limited. I just know how they work, and that's already answered.
Doesn't anyone listen?
Should be in the pup buying guide.

*Reported for close*