Hi Guys,

I was just wondering, about recording my electric guitar with garageband on my Mac,
Do I just plug my Guitar into my mac's audio-in and play.

I have a 1/4' to 3.5mm jack.

Thanks in advance.
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
Just need to plug in and then change garageband's input preferences to choose it's input rather than the mac's mic.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Thanks
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm
S'alright

T'is what i'm here for.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
If you do that, I think you can also use all the amp/cab/pedal/etc modeling for your guitar. IMO, they're fairly decent. Then again, I was running my guitar in via USB.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
You need a recording interface. Unless you have active pickups, I'm pretty sure this won't work.

You'll need something like a Digitech RP series pedal (or another brand, just needs USB) that has a USB output or a FireWire.

Also, if you did get it to work, it will probably sound like ass because the 3.5mm jack isn't made for a 1/4inch guitar jack.
You can plug it right in. I record all my stuff in Logic Pro, which is just a "souped" up version of Garageband. They use the same amps and stacks.
The built in amp modeling is pretty sick - i actually dont even own an amp for my guitars, I just use Logic every time i play guitar and use headphones or my sound-system.

Only thing I find is that the metal amp modeling leaves a bit to be desired. To get the sound I like I use 2 channels at once with 2 different settings running.
Garageband won't let you do that live, only Logic will. But to get around that,
Record what you want on one channel, copy and paste it to a 2nd channel, then you can get 2 amps playing the same stuff, get some cool sounds going.

The 1/4' to 3.5mm jack is all you need. Just make sure you dont get all crazy playing standing up, I once pulled my computer off the desk hahaha.

Also, while it is generally latence free, sometimes it will lag for whatever reason.
Go into Preferences, change from Input to Microphone, Apply. Then change it back to direct input, it restarts the drivers for it completely, gets rid of the lag.

Good luck man, and enjoy. Garageband and Logic are unreal programs.