Hi guys,

I'm now convinced to buy a Standard Fender Mexico but can't decide, strat or tele? So I decided to put up this thread asking about their differences.

I first wanted a Tele because it looked cool, then I wanted a Strat because it has 1 more pickup. But then one guy on UG told me that the pick-ups on a standard MIM strat aren't good.

I play pretty much anything, from Jack Johnson, to Led Zeppelin, to Eric Clapton, to Lee Ritenour.

Question #1:
I'm going to buy a standard, so which has more value?

Question #2:
Which one is more versatile?

Question #3:
I don't want a jack of all trades but master of none guitar .
Can you guys if you know specify what genre of music each guitar is better at?

Question #4:
If I'm going to buy a Tele, can I attach a humbucker in the center of the two pickups?

Q#5
Page uses Gibsons that have 2-3 humbuckers. If Q#4 is possible, will I get the same or kind-of tone?

Q#6
Should I get a Strat HSS instead?

Q#7
I don't need an acoustic-sounding electric, and as far into distortion I will go into is maybe Black Dog of Led Zepp.

Please guys, I really need your opinions. Thx.
GEt something with a humbucker. But I don't know if neck or bridge humbucker would suit you better since I don't play that style. I know there are teles with bridge single coil and neck pickup and I absolutely love my HH Telecaster Deluxe. (72' telecaster deluxe to be exact). It's good for rock, punk and really awesome for crunchy sounds and blues.
Otherwise I'd suggest a HSS strat
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
1 - Not too sure, but buy the guitar that suits you not your wallet
2 - Depends I'd like to say the Strat has more versatility but at the end of the day it's up the user to make use with what they have. Or in other terms I can't say
3 - Tele - anything, Strat - anything
4 - Sure, though I'd recommend you check out options to put a humbucker in the neck or bridge.
5- Simply put no you won't
6 - What does the 8 ball say
7- That's not even an question

Both strat and tele cover fairly the same ground and you'll often see each type of guitar in all types of genres (including metal). You ts should definitely try them out and see how they feel, you'll either want to play the tele or the strat or both.
Go to your local guitar store and try both out and see which one YOU prefer. If possible try any MIMs with different pickup configurations too.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
1 - both the same sort of value and the same sort of quality.
2 - some say the strat, but that extra pickup really doesn't contribute anything positive towards how many different styles of playing the guitar can cover - it just gives you another tonal option. It's all about what the player can do with the guitar.
3 - it's subjective. if you like the way a strat or a tele handles a particular style of music better than you like another guitar doing that style of music, then in your eyes, a strat or a tele is a "master" of that genre. Again, think about it as what the player can do with the guitar.
4 - There's no reason why you couldn't put a humbucker in, but it would require routing, and in the middle position, you wouldn't really achieve much - bridge or neck would be your best bet, or if you really want humbuckers, just get a telecaster deluxe in the first place.
5 - Hell no. fenders sound like fenders and gibsons sound like gibsons - however that doesn't mean you wouldn't get a sound that works for led zeppelin from a fender - jimmy page did use a tele a bit in the studio (stairway to heaven solo = telecaster)
6 - How should i know? it's your money.
7 - ok...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I take it your going with the Strat/Tele MIM due to cash on hand. I own a MIM but it is the Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat. It comes with Texas Hot Pickups which are very good pickups. A great guitar. You can grab one of these for around $600 new. If you get a Strat/Tele (new) for less than $500 then the hardware/electronics are not going to be good. If you are tight on a budget then check out SEVERAL pawn shops, used music stores, craigslist, or Ebay and get a GOOD top end MIM or American made USED guitar. This way you will get a good guitar that won't frustrate you and then in a year or two grab a new one. But before you do that, do research on the different types of Strats/Teles. What are the differences between the MIM, Japan, and American made. Research the hardware used and the electronics. You can pick up decent pickups for less than $100 so you can always upgrade, you can always replace the bridge and tuners, another $150-200. Now your up to almost $1000. Couldn't you have got an American made with that price? Good luck in your research and remember alot of great instruments are found used in shops and online. Ever heard of the Guitar called "Lenny"? SRV's guitar his wife bought him from a pawn shop.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
If you want to send me a message I can try to explain most of the differences in the types of strats (Don't know much about the Tele's) and what might suit you. I bought my first Strat (The Vaughan Sig) but then I started building them with parts. This way you can get exactly what you want up front. Of the 2 Strats I have built and the Vaughan Strat I can get just about any tone from them, Country, Blues, Classic Rock, and even some Heavy Metal. You don't have to have humbuckers. You could build a decent Strat with middle of the line to higher end parts for less than $500. As far as Tele's I know Jim Root and John 5 are big Tele users but they are CUSTOMIZED and not strat up factory. Good luck

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Led Zeppelin I and around that time Jimmy Page used a Telecaster (I heard it wasn't actually a Fender though). If you ask me he should've stuck with that as his tone was much better then.

Strats and Teles are both versatile. Strats are probably the most versatile guitar out there. Teles really aren't far behind.

Strats - quack sound. Tele - twang. They can both cover the same styles well but with different voices.

IMO a telecaster with humbuckers is not a real telecaster. The single coils are beefy enough IMO, but if you really want a humbucker then an HSS Strat may be a better option.

Tele is better value.

Buy used, you can get some steals online as they're both very popular guitars.
I've been using Fenders for years and being the owner of a MIM Standard Strat and having owned a MIM Tele in the past, here's what I've noticed. The Telecasters are more suited towards Country and Blues. They have that Twanging type tone to them that Fender purists love and are great sounding guitars. They are also good for rock, as noticed by Jimmy Page's use of some of the early Led Zeppelin albums. The Stratocasters IMO, are much more versatile but are a pain in the ass to set up properly. Once setup though, they are the greatest guitars to come down the pike IMO. They can be used for Rock, Blues, Country, and contrary to what some of the nitpickers say, even Metal! Just ask Dave Murray and Janick Gers from Iron Maiden or Yngvie Malmsteen. The MIM Standards from 2006 on up are the best bang for the buck. Some purists say that the stock pickups on them suck, but I say Bullshit! Mine is a 2006 and I've had mine for almost 4 years now and have used it at plenty of gigs and have gotten compliments on how great it sounds. I'm a 51 year old guitarist who's been playing for over 36 years, so I know what I'm talking about!
thx for the advice.

UG needs more guys full of guitar wisdom and experience like you
1959 Fender Telecaster (given to Page by Jeff Beck and repainted with a psychedelic dragon design by Page) played with the Yardbirds. Used to record the first Led Zeppelin album and used on the early tours during 1968-1969. It was later used to record the "Stairway To Heaven" solo.

from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Page
thats pretty cool
im leaning towards the strat
1964 Lake Placid Blue Fender Stratocaster (Used during recording sessions for In Through the Out Door and in 1979 at Knebworth for In the Evening).

1966 Cream Fender Telecaster (Used on Physical Graffiti).

1960's Brown Fender Telecaster featuring a Parsons and White B-string bender, and neck salvaged from the "Dragon Telecaster". Seen primarily during the 1980s The Firm and Outrider era. Also used at Knebworth in 1979, notably on "Ten Years Gone" and "Hot Dog". (Its deep chocolate paint scheme was once dubbed "Botswana Brown" by a journalist in the early 1980s, a throwaway joke that's stuck with the guitar since.)
1965 Fender Electric XII (12-String).

more fenders of jimmy
For me, a Tele is a heavier, sturdier slab of wood. The pups are attached to the wood body on a telE, while pups are fixed to the scratchplate on a strat.

A tele is not as ergonomically friendly against your body as a strat, if your sat playing it. But i quite like the way it digs in to your rib cage!

Standing, & you will soon feel the difference in weight. I recommend a thicker SRV style leather strap anyway. But i particularly recommend it for a tele.

Playing the tele standing, due to its standard thickness slab of wood design, also puts the body & neck, and ultimately you & your fretting hand/arm inparticular, in a slightly different position than with the strat,that you will notice, but soon adjust to.
They both sound different, but are both pretty damn versatile. At the end of the day how it will sound depends on you as a player and the amp you're using.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey