Heey,

So i'm going to buy my first electric guitar soon =D
Alot of people seem to recommend the Yamaha Pacifica.
So there are 2 versions, the 112j and 112v.
The 112v is a little bit more expensive (like 30 euros here). So, i'd like to know what the difference is. Could someone tell me?

And for an amp I was thinking about a Vox Pathfinder or Roland Microcube. (Don't know alot about amps, but the sticky recommended the Pathfinder and Microcube so)
The sticky thread said that the Vox Pathfinder is for low Gain and the Microcube for high Gain.
But since i'm still new to the guitar world, I don't exactly know what I need :P
So, I want to play rock or pop rock. So no heavy metal or something like that.

My budget is about 350-400 Euros

some bands I like are:
Muse
Red Hot chilli peppers
and C.N. Blue (they're a korean pop band)

I hope the UG community can help me decide =)

Thanks in advance

H.Q.
Last edited by HanQuang at Jun 5, 2010,
The 112V is the new version of the 112J

112V:
Better Pickups
Better Trem
Rear routed Control cavity
Bridge Pickup Not On Pickguard

EDIT - I strongly believe the pacifica 112 is one of the best beginner electric guitars out there. its not just a good guitar for the money, its a good guitar period.
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Last edited by Beffyyy at Jun 5, 2010,
Yeah get the 112v. Also for the amp, I would pick up a Vox VT15 or something
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
v is better as long as it's not too much more money. 30 euro probably qualifies as that. (in the USA, for example, it's $100 more... not sure it's worth that)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have been playing 8 or so months and have a 112j and vox pathfinder.

First off Pacificia's are awesome guitar. The difference is the V has something to do with a coil tap, I don't really know what that means but I have played both and from a begineers perspective they are identical. More experience people may want to advise if the extra money for a coil tap is worth it down the track.

Also defiantly get the vox pathfinder. Chilli Peppers sound quite exceptional on it. However the dirty channel is literally useless so good luck playing metal/hard rock. The reality is both amps are very limited, but will serve you fine. Once you start playing more and learning more you WILL want to buy a new amp (about 6 months of playing for me). So just go cheap for the time been, the pathfinder fits the bill perfectly to start learning.
yeah, the pathfinder is a bit limited. It's nice at the lower gain stuff (for a solid state amp), but the problem is, with the advent of all these new(ish) cheap, low wattage tube amps, the pathfinder just doesn't make much sense. you can get a tube amp for a similar amount of money which'll do those low gain tones much better (as long as you can crank it up again).

Modelling is probably the way to go- look into the vox da5 if you want a range of lower gain tones? I haven't tried it, but if the valvetronix is anything to go by, it should do lower gain tones better than the microcube. but the microcube would still be good, it's pretty versatile.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So, it's decided. I'll get the 112 V
And i'll probably get the microcube, because i can't seem to find the Vox da5 in any dealer near me. I like that it's more versatile.
I'd like to try different kinds of music to see what I really like to play on the guitar.

Thanks all for all your advice =)
Really appreciate it.
no problem at all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Pacifica 112V is a fine choice, it should stand you in good stead for many years.

The Microcube (or a Vyper) will do for practicing but you will need to upgrade when you want to start gigging. Sure you can mike it up for gigs but it's sub-optimal really. I wouldn't buy a Microcube on a bet but then I do own a few nice amps, it would be like buying salmon caviar when you already have a fridge full of Beluga.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't like to make recommendations outside of the OP since you are clearly looking at the low end stuff but I was very close to buying a Vox VT15/30 recently as my second amp. If you have the money and are serious about learning, this thing is perfect. It has all the amp models and effects, so you can start experimenting with a lot of different sound and is extremely versatile (blues to cleans to metal).

The pathfinder will suit you fine so I don't want to come across as pressuring you into spending more than you have to, but if you don't mind spending more upfront and going straight to your "second" amp, I would recommend it. But I will reiterate the pathfinder is fine to start with.
I recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112V. It is the latest and best for beginners. Also, a budget friendly guitar. I have been playing this guitar for a year now. Really good pickup for its price. I'm not happy with the overall quality, but for the price that one super awesome! When I researching online for best budget guitars I found this article. They reviewed some good stuff there. When considering the price Epiphone LP special 2 is cheapest than every other. You can see that detailed review of Yamaha 112V here.
I recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112V. It is the latest and best for beginners. Also, a budget friendly guitar. I have been playing this guitar for a year now. Really good pickup for its price. I'm not happy with the overall quality, but for the price that one super awesome! When I researching online for best budget guitars I found this article. They reviewed some good stuff there. When considering the price Epiphone LP special 2 is cheapest than every other. You can see that detailed review of Yamaha 112V here.
https://www.bestelectricguitars.net/best-electric-guitar/