Could we have a third search field?

Sometimes I can only remember fragments of the songs -- I don't know the artist and can't guess the song, but some lyrics keep going round my head.

Of course, sometimes I can't even remember the words in which case I hum into SoundHound...
you should think a little more deeply before writing.

That is an unintelligent comment.

The app doesn't store anything. It simply runs a search on UG's server just as if you were searching from their website. How else would it function?

As regards using Google, You could ask what is the point of the whole application? Seeing as the iPhone comes with its own Web browser, the whole application is not necessary.
Maybe you should think a little more deeply before writing. What I mean is that the UG site would have to store the lyrics to be able to process your request. The iPhone app (apparently) makes viewing tabs easier for iPhone users than the site itself, that's the point.
Generally the UG site *does* store the lyrics. it seems to be a database of thousands of text files. Most of these text files consist of the lyrics for some song with chords written in. A small percentage don't have the lyrics. Most do.

I have never played around with UG's search facility -- seeing as Google searching a song grows up a UG page first hit, I stick with that.

But it would be perfectly possible for them without too much effort to allow searching through their database to match lyrics. I don't know if it is available on the website Now, but it wouldn't be hard to implement.
you're asking the search function to actually look through the files themselves rather than just looking at an index of song names and artist names.

It'd require a complete restructuring of the site's search function and would be resource intensive. Or at least that's the only way I can think of getting it done.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't see how it would require any restructuring. The structure can remain the same.

But I agree -- it would be resource intensive. Although... doable -- I have maintained large databases before. and there is always the option of getting Google to do the hard work (search for "site:ultimateguitar.com 'I've heard there was a secret chord'" will find it)

I am not going to push this one. I had assumed UG allowed searching for lyrics, but I have just checked and realise it doesn't. So - my bad.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
you're asking the search function to actually look through the files themselves rather than just looking at an index of song names and artist names.

This.

The titles and artists are database entries. The lyrics are just in the files.