So my bugera 6262 should be back in a few days i hope, the only issue i have with the amp its self is i play at 2-3am sometimes, and when the volume is on say 0.1 it sounds quite muddy i've heard a tube screemer or overdrive could help this out? Is this true?

If so what's the difference between a tube screemer and overdrive

The most i've had the amp up to is around 3-4 and it sounded amazing at that volume

So what would be the better choice for say things like metallica / megadeth but then metalcore etc as well?
Oh silly me, With using them do you use the clean channel? or would it be used to "boost" the distortion channel etc? I'm not familar with pedals yet
Quote by BoL7z
Oh silly me, With using them do you use the clean channel? or would it be used to "boost" the distortion channel etc? I'm not familar with pedals yet

you can use it for both, although it is better to boost a distorted channel. into a clean amp it just sounds like a solid state overdrive unit - which is exactly what it is
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Hmm what's the general "go to" overdrive pedal for say metallica or similar? I hear alot of people talking about the ibanez "TS9"

Also is this something i'm looking for? For boosting my amp to sound better at lower volumes without actually increasing the volume?
Last edited by BoL7z at Jun 5, 2010,
There's nothing that's "go to" per se, as most players it's up to their tastes and what other gear they have.

It will make you overdriven at a lower level, but then you're using it more as a distortion pedal (I.E. using it into a clean channel).

A pedal isn't gonna make you sound as good as you would on 3-4... A 120W amp head isn't going to sound as good on 1-2 as it will on 3-4. Is it really that much of a problem for you to play slightly lower? Again.. 120W isn't made to sound good really quiet haha...

But what you're looking for is a distortion pedal really. Look into something like the Blackstar HT DIST.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jun 5, 2010,
So would say a overdrive is more used for boosting a lower gain amp to something more high gain?
blackstar distortion into 6262

that's totally overkill, and destroys the point of getting a highgain tube amp. You can get even a cheap Bad Monkey OD instead of an expensive TS just to "boost" the amp, make it tighter and punchier.

Your best bet is to pull some power tubes to run at 60 watts , bias it, and low volumes should sound good enough. At higher volumes you should get a fuller tone than you would running at 120 watts.
Honestly, if you need to play at 2am and not be heard, you’re better off just playing through headphones. At those volumes nothing you do is going to make that setup sound better than a $75 used pocket pod through headphones—it’s not what those big speakers were made to do.
Quote by Tedward
:

Your best bet is to pull some power tubes to run at 60 watts , bias it, and low volumes should sound good enough. At higher volumes you should get a fuller tone than you would running at 120 watts.

Do not do this.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by WtrPlyr
My guess a TS into an already overdriven 6262 at ultra low volumes will only make it even more muddier.

Nope, TS's and most overdrives boost mids and cut bass for a tighter and more clear sound.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
I have a TS808HW and it is awsome for rock n roll blues but it doesn't have the kind of heavy distortion your looking for. You might wanna try a Line 6 pod.
Using a tubescreamer/overdrive pedal into the distorted channel of your amp is probably the best way to go.

I find that the digitech bad monkey overdrive is kinda muddy.
What is your budget?
Quote by jpnyc
Honestly, if you need to play at 2am and not be heard, you’re better off just playing through headphones. At those volumes nothing you do is going to make that setup sound better than a $75 used pocket pod through headphones—it’s not what those big speakers were made to do.

this is the best advice in this thread so far.
Quote by jpnyc

Yeah that's what i was thinking as well, Only issue is my POD UX2 with win7 is all buggy

Guess i'll just leave it and invest in a noisegate instead since i get noise from wah pedal which is quite annoying at louder volumes