Quote by Turkeyburger
rock band microphone

You know I was doing that for a while in garageband and for cheap, the quality is really good. However it won't work with my logic 8. Does anyone have any idea what's going on there?
rockband mic?? who needs microphones? i connect my guitar directly from my korg effects pedal to my computer with a male to male cable, it has cabinets so you can really get the sound of an amp with just the pedal, and that pedal is cheap, it's a korg ax1500g
so i dont really use mics, but now the program that i use is pro tools but you can use audacity that is free and to me it really has good quality, you just need that pedal and a 3.55mm male to male cable (3.55 is the size of the headphones cable)
so it would be like $90 for the pedal and $0.99 for the cable
now if you want pro tools to record it would be like $159 and 250 for the interface
Get a USB audio interface such as this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrkUSB2/

It comes with Pro Tools M-Powered and is only 120 bucks, the recording quality will far outshine any rock band mic or pluging into your PC's line in. You will instantly hear the quality difference by using and interface and your tone will not suffer god awful like.

If you are anywhere near semi-serious about recording, get and interface, you wont regret it.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
A Mic will not help with quality if you dont have a interface to plug it into. Your computers line in is not ment for recording. Computer sound cards are not ment for recording, they are ment for audio playback which is why you will get awful quality trying to line in to your PC. Interfaces are ment to replace your sound card for recording for CD quality audio.
My Music
My old band actually threw a Guitar Hero microphone in the middle of our practice area and recorded with that. It was easier than dragging all of the recording stuff out to practice and it worked well enough to determine what we needed to improve on.

But if you don't want to do that, and you have a somewhat decent computer you can find cheap ($150 or so) little recording packages that at the very least record in 16 bit on musiciansfriend.com. Just look around there.

Hope this helps.
Quote by brenton393
would the Microphones Snowball USB Microphone be good for band recording?

No. Well, not in the sense of it getting you a good sound, but if you only want to record a rehearsal to see how your band sound then you could do worse, though you wouldn't see much difference in using a much cheaper mic.

That mic is (probably, based on the reputation of Blue's normal mics) fairly good, but stuffing a lone mic in the middle of a (presumably untreated) room where the sound isn't going to be great will just result in a distorted, unbalanced mess.

You're better off finding a cheap handheld stereo field recorder/dictaphone type thing (Zoom make lots for all budgets) as at least you won't need to set anything up and cart a computer around etc.

Edit: The best way for you to record guitar, for cheap, would be to buy some cheap one-input interface with a jack input, that comes bundled with Guitar Rig or Amplitube or some other decent amp sim software.

If you also want to record a band, that's not going to help much, but at least the guitars will sound good. You'd be better off polishing your material in the rehearsal room and then looking around for music tech students willing to record bands properly, for free, to boost their portfolio for when they're looking for work after college/uni. Just make sure they have a recording to show you what they can do first, or you may end up working with someone who knows as comparitively little as you in terms of professional recording.

Sorry for possibly sounding abrupt and arsey, good luck with it and one day maybe you'll be interested enough in recording to begin the long, steep learning curve to getting good results from budget equipment hehe.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 5, 2010,
The zoom h2, h4, h4n are great for recording... they're quite portable.
My school has a h4, and the quality is really good
well since my budget it very low i think im going to haft to settle for a very cheap crappy recorder for under $20, so at least i can record
Make do with what you can afford, but bear in mind that on $20 the results won't be great. As I said, Zoom make some great little recorders that you could pick-up second hand for (I'm guessing) $50 ish... but being in the UK I'm just guessing here.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i used to record using cakewalk
but it is not that good
the worst part is the cakewalk get expired and need to pay twice
i just discovered acoustica audio mp3 mixer
it is really good
can even allow you to record the full band as unlimited multitrack is available
but it has no edit function
can only adjust the volume level
so recording must be one take for each instrument
and it just require the pc only
no need mics and cables
even for drums
Zoom H2, H4 etc. are good, I have the H2. However, you can get a mic and an interface for the price you pay for one of those. I regret buy mine for that reason alone, but it is a good portable recorder, recording in mono, stereo, and 4 track surround
My Music
I second Locks suggestion on the Line6 package. If you are only looking to record guitars, that is the package to go with.

Stay away from the snowball mic...they really don;t sound all that good....even for podcasting they pick up room noise too much.
I have used the H4 and H2 and both are ok but I would still choose the Line6 GX.

If you want a mic and a more open package, maudio has this package:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-MKII-Studio-Package?sku=485736
Last edited by moody07747 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Swayver
A Mic will not help with quality if you dont have a interface to plug it into. Your computers line in is not ment for recording. Computer sound cards are not ment for recording, they are ment for audio playback which is why you will get awful quality trying to line in to your PC. Interfaces are ment to replace your sound card for recording for CD quality audio.

i think the transit usb is cheaper, that's the one i got but the inputs are line or headphone size so i have to use a m to m cable for it anyways
http://trickledown.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/transitusb-00.jpg