Hello all, I've had the desire to play bass for about a year and a half or so, but whenever I have money it has to be spent on something else. I have a bit now, and want to finally make it happen. After some research I have liked what I've seen about the Peavey Millennium BXP 4 the best, everything seems to be positive but I thought I would see what you guys thought? I have never played bass before, but I plan on probaly playing mostly some alternative type stuff (Smashing Pumpkins, Silversun Pickups, Radiohead, Muse) probaly a little punk/pop punk (The Clash, Gaslight Anthem, Bouncing Souls) some heavier rock, not metal, like Chevelle or Rage Against the Machine, and some more subdued stuff, like Interpol. Know those are all pretty broad, but I just want to make sure this is a good all around bass. My budget at the moment is around $250, but I could save up more and wait if i really have to.

As for the amp, I really don't have the money to buy a new one, so I have been watching craigslist and a guy is selling an Ibanez IBZ10B bass amp for $30 I know its kinda small but I'm definitely not planning on gigging for awhile, just something small to learn on and play in my room. Will that amp perform well enough with the Peavey?

(P.S. I have read all the whole Bass Forum FAQ on here so please don't refer me to that, I would like some advice for my specific case if possible.)

Thanks in advance,

Nate
First off - unlike guitars tend to be relatively flexible when it comes to genres. I've seen metal bands playing jazz basses and stringrays and jazz bands using P-basses (those being the 3 major bass types). So with that in mind i would say that the Peavey would comfortably cover those genres of music, which, bass wise aren't actually too dissimilar in terms of sound type.

I would make sure you play one first though and compare it to other similarly priced ones. If you're just starting out the playing ease is going to be what affects you most (especially if you're not gigging) so that should be your main consideration.

The amp is the thing i think you would find most dissappointing. the second review on here says it all - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_amplifiers/ibanez/ibz10b/index.html . The sound is really poor. Granted $30 is cheap for a bass amp, but this really isn't worth any money at all, you're probably better off playing unplugged and leaning the head of you bass on a table to make it resonate a bit... seriously, save up and get something that's actually going to sound like a bass. I personally would never consider anything with less than a 10" speaker for starters.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Almost any amp will give you enough power for home practicing

You could also get a cheaper bass, say a squier p-bass and then you have more cash to spend on an amplifier.
Quote by Tamriel
Almost any amp will give you enough power for home practicing

You could also get a cheaper bass, say a squier p-bass and then you have more cash to spend on an amplifier.

Yeah, I suppose I could, all the squiers look a little generic to me though, guess beggars can't be choosers though. My dad does has a drummer friend who's pretty tight with some people at my local guitar center, and he said he could get me a discount depending on what I decided. I don't know how much that would be, but probaly at least 10%....... The Peavey just looks a whole lot better to me, more unique. I guess in my view the amp doesnt really matter all that much since I'm just at homebut I'm probaly wrong since I'm new to all this ha
Quote by Natebegreat
Yeah, I suppose I could, all the squiers look a little generic to me though, guess beggars can't be choosers though. My dad does has a drummer friend who's pretty tight with some people at my local guitar center, and he said he could get me a discount depending on what I decided. I don't know how much that would be, but probaly at least 10%....... The Peavey just looks a whole lot better to me, more unique. I guess in my view the amp doesnt really matter all that much since I'm just at homebut I'm probaly wrong since I'm new to all this ha

I'm nooby as well

But if i were you i would consider to get a decent amp.
a small one is good for home, but for only a lil' bit more money you can get your hands on an intermediate one that you can use for small gigs.

Stacks cost a lot of money, but you can get a pretty nice combo amp with some power for quite a good price. I'm looking at behringers and such
I've heard nothing but crap about behringers, especially on here. I highly doubt I'll be gigging anytime soon though, considering my town is musically dead. No joke. Our biggest concert of the year was when Daughtry came through :p wooooo, yeah ha. People listen to good music, but no one really plays much. So I'm probaly just going to something small, but quality
Quote by doive

I would make sure you play one first though and compare it to other similarly priced ones. If you're just starting out the playing ease is going to be what affects you most (especially if you're not gigging) so that should be your main consideration.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, what exactly am I looking for in "playing ease" ? Obviously preferences will vary between people but, having never played bass before I'm not quite sure what qualities I'm looking for. Is it just whatever feels best in my hand?
I would say, definitely go for the Peavey Millenium, I must say that that bass is a great bass for a beginner, such as yourself, and will last beyond the sands of time. And yes, whatever feels best in your hand is a decent measurement, no joke. Try as many basses as you can, pick the one that feels the best.

As for the amp, well .. I would consider looking around a little bit more on Craigslist, that review didn't do any favours. Im sure you'll something cheap, of course you don't need anything to powerful considering you'll be only practicing at home, for the meanwhile. There should be plenty of cheap 2nd-hand amps out there.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Quote by bass//player
I would say, definitely go for the Peavey Millenium, I must say that that bass is a great bass for a beginner, such as yourself, and will last beyond the sands of time. And yes, whatever feels best in your hand is a decent measurement, no joke. Try as many basses as you can, pick the one that feels the best.

As for the amp, well .. I would consider looking around a little bit more on Craigslist, that review didn't do any favours. Im sure you'll something cheap, of course you don't need anything to powerful considering you'll be only practicing at home, for the meanwhile. There should be plenty of cheap 2nd-hand amps out there.

Alright I'm thinking Millennium for sure now, that finish is just too good to pass up for the price. One last question, probaly a dumb one, but is it necessary to have a bass-specific amp? Would it be harmful to use a electric guitar amp? Just from looking around, theres plenty of used guitar amps, haven't seen any bass ones though