Page 1 of 2
i have a peavey predator strat style and i was wondering if anybody knew what gives it its twang? I want to replace what ever is making it have so much twang so i can play stuff and get the right tone because I can't seem to get the right tone for any song on it.
I'm suspecting the neck is why it has so much twang because my little brothers guitar is a starcaster and it has much less twang and has a different type of neck.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the twang will be appreciated.
Last edited by 27duuude at Jun 5, 2010,
New pickups, mess with your EQ.

Different guitar also.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It's the single coils that give it it's twag. Unless u have a fat strat?

You can either try and EQ it out, making it more bass heavy, and cutting treble.

But really, if you don't want that twang, u should've went for a more of a humbucker centralized guitar.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Single coils are the main source of the twang. The way the body wood resonates is also specifically designed to enhance the twanging sound, finally the increased string tension on a 25.5" scale neck will probably add a little too.

To combat that, either replace the singles with humbuckers or cut the treble on your amp and roll back the tone on your guitar.

If that's not enough then you just probably don't like the twang fender is famous for.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
If you play on the bridge pickup a lot, there's your problem. The angle of the bridge pickup gives it a lot of its "twang."
Hi, I'm Peter
The next time you change strings take off the pick guard and see if the guitar is routed to take two humbuckers. If it is, you can just buy a pre-wired dual humbucker pickguard from GuitarFetish. If you’re stuck with single coils you can try getting strat pickups designed for hard rock and/or metal; Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio both sell many such pickups and you can get them on a prewired pickguard.
I would get some different pups. I think they make humbuckers in singlecoil casings, and they're supposedly really good. I never tried them though so I can't tell you about personal experience or anything.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
thanks for all your help i was originally going to change the pickups but I've heard the sound but it still sounds a little twangy but getting rid of the treble is also a good idea. The only reason I have a strat is because my parents got it for me to start to learn on
At the stroke of midnight, the Strat walked down to the windswept crossroads at the junction of Highways 61 and 49 in Clarksdale, MS. Reciting an ancient incantation, Strat called upon Satan himself to rise from the fires of Hell. In exchange for Stratocaster's immortal soul, the devil made the guitar awesome, thereby giving it the abilities which it so desired. From then on, the young guitar was played by all, their fingers dancing over the strings.

That's how it got it's twang/quack and awesomeness.
what gives a stratocaster its twang?

You do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pickups with naturally low inductance do that, it means the usual suspects are Fender style single coils, with their narrow design, magnet pole pieces and average winds on the pickups. You can always use the tone knob, but I know it's not the same as having a different, mellower tone to begin with, at least not with the stock one. You can do the following though, IF you are willing to use the tone knob, which really is just a passive treble cut. The original tone capacitor is usually something between .022 and .050 microfarad. That means if you turn the tone knob down, you get a lot of treble removed, and there goes note definition too. So you can try and experiment with smaller cap values, much smaller can work too, like .001 microfarad for example. Then when you turn the tone knob down, they will remove only the top of your treble frequencies and leave you enough to not lose some of the "cut" of your sound.
You can also try to use longer cables, they remove some treble too.

Here's a great article by Terry Downs about this whole thing: http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/guitarcables/guitarcables.htm
Rolling back the treble goes a long way to rid the twang. Twang is what makes a strat a strat though.
Quote by Vacuity
pickups, pickup position, and long neck scale

that.

try using your middle pick up only, bump your mids on the amp, and don't pick right by the bridge - pick further forward. that should help.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
by opinion i'm gonna say it's the strat style. I find strats to have a lot of twang in general. My solution is an SG, to me the tone is similar and playability. Good luck solving your issue dude!
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
I didn't read the whole topic but not everything has been explained from what I read. All pickups have twang but the reason why Fender pickups have more twang than others is because of how they're designed. The magnets in Fender pickups are the pole pieces so they are closer to the strings. Gibson pickups have the magnets deep in the pickup and they have pole pieces extending the magnetic field. A good comparison is the Gibson P90 compared to the Fender P90 Style Pup. They look the same but sound completely different because of the design differences I talked about earlier. So if you buy a Fender style humbucker you'll still have a lot of twang, What a person should do is buy Gibson style pickups if they want less twang but don't forget the electronics, Gibson guitars have different potentiometers and if you put a Gibson humbucker in a Fender Strat without changing the electronics it'll sound a lot darker than you're expecting.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 5, 2010,
  • Single coil pickups
  • Angled bridge pickup
  • Vibrato bridge
  • Strat bridge saddles
  • Bolt-on neck
  • Maple neck
  • Every single aspect of the guitar

That's how a Strat is supposed to sound. If you don't like how Strats sound, why buy a Strat?

Quote by Gargoyle2500
words

Actually, it's really more to do with separate magnetic pole pieces (Fender) vs bar magnets (Gibson) rather than how close the magnetic material is. In fact actually, raising the magnetic material gives a thicker tone than if it was lower. The massive difference between a bar magnet and separate pole pieces though compeletly overshadows the difference in magnet height. This is also the main reason why Firebird pickups sound different to toher minibuckers, they have the P-90 style of two smaller bar magnets while most minibuckers have one bar larger magnet. The more you break up the magnets, the more note separation you get. The more note separation, the more pronounced the ''twang''.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 5, 2010,
i think the main reason is the 25.5" neck scale. if you compare it to a les paul or something. that, and the bridge pickup that's got the high E side very close to the bridge.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
i think the main reason is the 25.5" neck scale. if you compare it to a les paul or something. that, and the bridge pickup that's got the high E side very close to the bridge.
... Because the scale length is the only difference between A Strat and a Les Paul and any difference in tone is surely down to that. Okay then.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
This is also the main reason why Firebird pickups sound different to toher minibuckers, they have the P-90 style of two smaller bar magnets while most minibuckers have one bar larger magnet. The more you break up the magnets, the more note separation you get. The more note separation, the more pronounced the ''twang''.

That's some serious gibberish. In Firebird pickups, the two magnets are the cores of the coils, just like in Fender style single coils, only they are full bars and not separate pieces. Plus they are under the metal cover, so they sound just a tad darker, somewhere between Jazzmaster single coils and regular mini humbuckers.

Having more than one magnet has nothing to do with note separation. Think Bill Lawrence or Joe Barden rail pickups, they have all the treble and presence in the world, despite of having only one bar magnet inside, with the rail or rails on its sides.

Lower impedance = more treble or "twang". EMGs lower the impedance with a preamp inside, and it works nicely too.
Quote by Tinderwet
somewhere between Jazzmaster single coils and regular mini humbuckers.
You sure do a good job of sounding exactly like somebody who has never been within twenty feet of any of these pickups. Play a Firebird - an actual one with the actual original pickups, not the reissues or the ESP copies - and prepare to be blown away by how the pickups do not sound or react in any way, shape or form anything like Jazzmaster pickups.

I mean christ you even posted a picture very clearly showing the two separate magnets I was talking about. Do you want to shoot yourself in the foot any further? Here's an idea, post some videos of someone demonstrating an EMG 60 and underneath that write "see, this is exactly like a piezo system and that is why green is the best colour." Trust me, it'll do your argument wonders.
Quote by MrFlibble
You sure do a good job of sounding exactly like somebody who has never been within twenty feet of any of these pickups. Play a Firebird - an actual one with the actual original pickups, not the reissues or the ESP copies - and prepare to be blown away by how the pickups do not sound or react in any way, shape or form anything like Jazzmaster pickups.

Well I guess it depends on the perceiver. To me they sound closer to beefy Fender single coils than to regular mini humbuckers.

Quote by MrFlibble
I mean christ you even posted a picture very clearly showing the two separate magnets I was talking about.

Yes I did, showing you that the magnets are the poles themselves, just like in the case of Fender single coils, while the magnets are under the coils connected to steel poles (screws) like in P-90s or regular humbuckers.
So the magnet placement in the Firebird pickup is not P-90 style, like you wrote above:

Quote by MrFlibble
This is also the main reason why Firebird pickups sound different to toher minibuckers, they have the P-90 style of two smaller bar magnets while most minibuckers have one bar larger magnet.

It's ok to admit you're wrong once in a while.
From what everyone has said so far I still have one question. What effect on the tone can the neck have? My little brothers guitar, a fender starcaster, is almost the same thing as mine but his has a rosewood fingerboard and mine doesn't. there isn't as much twang coming out of his as on mine. Not sure if its the neck that makes the difference or if theres something else that makes his have less twang.
Quote by 27duuude
From what everyone has said so far I still have one question. What effect on the tone can the neck have? My little brothers guitar, a fender starcaster, is almost the same thing as mine but his has a rosewood fingerboard and mine doesn't. there isn't as much twang coming out of his as on mine. Not sure if its the neck that makes the difference or if theres something else that makes his have less twang.

maple boards are a tinge brighter than rosewood, tonally.

his pups are probably voiced differently is my thought.
Quote by Tinderwet
Well I guess it depends on the perceiver. To me they sound closer to beefy Fender single coils than to regular mini humbuckers.
Well, that's a matter of opinion then, but I stick to what I previously said.

Yes I did, showing you that the magnets are the poles themselves, just like in the case of Fender single coils, while the magnets are under the coils connected to steel poles (screws) like in P-90s or regular humbuckers.
So the magnet placement in the Firebird pickup is not P-90 style, like you wrote above:
[...]
It's ok to admit you're wrong once in a while.
Congratulations, you have gained the ability to take several words and highlight them out of context to change the implication. Perhaps you would like to also photoshop me in to some incriminating pictures coming out of a gay strip club too.

I very, very clearly said that they are made with the P-90 style of having two smaller magnets instead of one large one. I did not say "hurrrr they are P-90s hurrrrr." If had stopped writing at "P-90 style" then you would be correct, but I didn't. Learn to read.
lol tinderwet get's deeper everytime he posts.

fibblepwnt for the lulz.
Quote by MrFlibble
(Talk about pole pieces)

I was unaware of this, Thanks for the heads up.

Quote by gregs1020
lol tinderwet get's deeper everytime he posts.

fibblepwnt for the lulz.

Quote by Tinderwet
Fibble, I think you have 1 (one) fan.

His name is Flibble, Not Fibble. I know, It can be easy to miss the L.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Sell it and buy a left handed stratocaster, turn it right handed, and re-string the strings the right way.

The reversal of the angle of the bridge pickup will give the lower strings a brighter sound and the higher strings a mellower sound.

Hendrix did this (except obviously he took a righty and made it left). His guitar is still twangy, but still, a good idea, especially if you use the bridge pick up a lot.
Death and Destruction
Black as my Soul
Decay and Demolition
Out of Control
Quote by MrFlibble
... Because the scale length is the only difference between A Strat and a Les Paul and any difference in tone is surely down to that. Okay then.

Lol
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I was unaware of this, Thanks for the heads up.
His name is Flibble, Not Fibble. I know, It can be easy to miss the L.

i call him fibblz.

TS - maybe a dick dale type pickguard with the reversed angle bridge pick up?

it won't make up for the scale length or bolt on though.
The only other thing I'll say in this thread is that is the damn ugliest Stratocaster I have ever seen.
Alot of people here say the pickups have a lot to do with the twang, and it's true to an extent, but there's also a variety of other factors. The type of bridge (generally tune-o-matic bridges will sustain longer, whereas synchronized trem bridges or fixed bridges have more decay), scale length (length of the strings from nut to bridge - the Strat has a fairly long scale length, so the strings are a bit snappier than a guitar with a shorter scale length), and the fact that the guitar has a bolt-on neck, as opposed to a set neck.
SAVE THE JAZZ

"Remember, there are two kinds of people in the world:
People who finish things, and"
Last edited by ledhead67 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by ledhead67
generally floating or tune-o-matic bridges will sustain longer,
Lulz absolutely not. Floating bridges sustain worse than anything.

on a Strat the scale length is shorter than it would be on a Gibson-styled guitar,
Lulz absolutely not. Strats are almost always 25.5" scale, the vast majority of Gibson guitars are 24.75" scale.

so the strings don't snap back like they would on a guitar of shorter scale-length).
Lulz absolutely not. Longer scale means higher string tension, higher string tension means the strings ''snap'' more.

God damn dude you just couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Edit: okay so my last post was kind of wrong but meh **** it, that had to be dealt with.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
The only other thing I'll say in this thread is that is the damn ugliest Stratocaster I have ever seen.

yea sure is, but the pickguard may help the ts.

^ lol at that to. this thread really delivers.
I will never get in an internet fight with Flibble. I want to live. lol, every thread you post in turns into a flame war, which is somehow awesome and damn funny. probably because you always win.

EDIT: what kind of things are different in the Jim Root style strats and teles besides the emgs that eliminate the twang sound?
Honk
Last edited by Mukersman at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by Mukersman
I will never get in an internet fight with Flibble. I want to live. lol, every thread you post in turns into a flame war, which is somehow awesome and damn funny. probably because you always win.
I genuinely do not like all the fighting and such. It just so happens that I hate stupid people, and there are a lot of stupid people on here saying very stupid things.

EDIT: what kind of things are different in the Jim Root style strats and teles besides the emgs that eliminate the twang sound?
The Strat has a mahogany body, no fretboard inlays, no tint on the neck, a completely fixed bridge, a single volume knob with no tone controls, the pickup selector switch is placed where the tone controls would be, it has 6100 fretwire (really big), a 12-16" compound radius fretboard, an ebony fretboard on the black finished model, locking tuners, the body sides are less rounded, the neck heel is contoured (like the Am Deluxe and Jeff Beck models) and the finishes are done with satin nitro. It's really more of a Jackson guitar than a Fender, other than the fixed bridge.

The Telecaster is much the same only with the fretboards reversed (maple on black finish, ebony on white finish), a straight 12" radius fretboard and the rib cage contour (the same as on American Deluxe series Teles).

So, quite a lot is different other than the pickups. Though really if you just got the Am Deluxe Strat it would offer you a wider range of tones and a vibrato that stays perfectly in tune in addition to all the things on his Strat. The Am Deluxe Tele is still pretty different though since obviously that has just the two single coil pickups, and the S-1 switching on the Tele doesn't do as much as it does on the Am Deluxe Strat so the Tele doesn't really have any more options than the Jim Root Tele, just different ones.
Quote by gregs1020

^ lol at that to. this thread really delivers.

+1

lots of threads delivering teh lulz recently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I heard somewhere also that the tone pots on a strat, 250k, somehow allow for more twang than a, for instance, a Les Paul, with 500k pots.
Page 1 of 2