So, I've opted to get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is £399.
I've been thinking of getting a Vox VT15 for it as it's within the price range (£75-£110 for an amp, £510 in total), and it's has a plethora of effects and settings.

Are there any other tube amps within the price range of £75-£110 that offer these effects too? I play metal/rock/punk if that's any help

Cheers
Last edited by BlueIceBox at Jun 5, 2010,
you know the VT15 isn't a tube amp? Nor do most tube amps offer all the DSP effects?
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
not really, i think the valvetronix emulates valves, but does not have them, especially for that price, also, vox ar emore known for clean tones, Peavy vypers have good distortion and a well balanced clean, so i woudle reccomend going for one of them, and an actual valve amp thats not balls for £75-110. good luck.
i think i have seen the epiphone VJ for around 130. and that a fair Valve amp, btu its still not the best and has no fx
Peavy Vypers may be another choice to consider... i don't know if they have valves in them or not, but they are pretty good from wat i've heard.

The VT15 was wat made me buy my VT100 in the first place. But these two amps do sound TOTALLY different, mainly due to the speaker, but it still does sound good.

I can tell you, this is a nice amp to start ur transistion into tube amps.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Oh, ok, I thought it was a tube amp, my bad

The Vyper sounds pretty good, so I'll look around for that one instead, thanks
the VT series are also hybrid amps. But Vox did the smart thing and put it in the power amp section, instead of the pre-amp section, so it actually in a useful spot.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Vox is definitely not known just for cleans... British invasion!

Although this is not strictly talking about the VT so much as the AC's. But if you have the $$$, vox isn't bad at all but definitely probably not the amp you want if you play metal and stuff.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I Would spend a good £250 MIN on a new amp, cause as i have found out,

bad guitar + good amp = good(ish) sound
Good guitar + bad amp = waste of a good guitar.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
^ Disagree. I bought my Vox AC4 for £169 and it sounds fantastic. Fender Champ 600s are even less, and they sound good.

An all tube amp under £250 will sound good. I reckon with an EQ pedal I could use my AC4 as a recording amp, fo sho. If you wanted to gig, mic it up/borrow an amp. The beauty of these little tube amps is that you'll never grow out of them; they're perfect practice amps.
All the previous posts about the vox amps are correct except that the VT series doesn't have ANY of the vox sound.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
ASAIK, the 12AX7 is in the preamp section, not the power section.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
ASAIK, the 12AX7 is in the preamp section, not the power section.

I'm pretty sure it's in the power section. The old valvetronix amps had the valve in the preamp. I think they were the called AD50VTs or summin.

But the new ones are in the power amp.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
^^ I heard they put the 12AX7 in the power amp as well, could be wrong. Wherever it is it does sod all, and is a total gimic, it's certianly doing no more (running at what 12V?) in the power amp than the preamp. Having said that, for low gain tones and versatility in a practice amp you can't beat the VT's. I'd be tempted to look for a used LP and save up more for an amp, perhaps a VT50 so you'd have enough to gig with later on.
The 100% analog original power amp circuit actually has the same power amp circuit as a full-tube amp, using a 12AX7 miniature triode to reproduce a distinctive tube amp sound unattainable by digital technology.

From the Vox site...so its in the power amp.
TS, i have a vox vt100. the VT series are great amps =] if thats your max budget for an amp then i think the vt15 is a great choice.
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Well I guess it's more of a cleans vs distortion thing here with the Vox and the Peavy, but I think I'll using distortion more than the clean channel, plus this will be my first Amp, and it's just for bedroom playing, so i'm not too fussed I guess.

The Vypyr it is Thanks for the advice