Hey, my first post so i'll try to make it quick and without pain!

So anyway, I recently (~2 months ago) bought a Peavey vypyr 30 as an upgrade to a real shitty beginners amp. I was (and still am, mostly) very happy with the purchase but lately I have started to notice something with the gain when I compare it to other amps.

The problem is that the gain just seems abit... Not-so-gainy The thing is, if i palm mute most of the sound goes away, it's quite hard to explain but it pretty much just sounds muddy and not very gainy. I've even tried my friends spider amp and it actually sounds way better in that matter. He also bought a way better amp and it was the same thing, everything equally palm muted.

Does anyone know about this problem and feel the same?
Something to note is that when i'm not palm muting, it sounds pretty good. Also, my friend who has played guitar for a couple years agrees with me aswell.
And I know about:
http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select
I have tried several settings but with the same result. I don't think its just my amp as the recorded stuff on the settings sounds pretty much the same. Seems abit strange that no one noticed it before though, could just be me being stupid i guess

Thanks for any feedback!
Last edited by Ostpajj at Jun 5, 2010,
All those amps are first off solid state, so you're not going to sound as good as other amps per se.

Also, the spider might've had more gain turned up on it. When you tried your friends amp who's guitar did you use? It sounds like it might just be the nature of the amp, and EQ type stuff.

That is, did you narrow the problem down to your amp?
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Are you using enough mids?
If you use mids palmmute's come out more aggressive.
@Zamorak
I understand that my amp won't sound as good as a real tube amp and some other but the gain thing has just been bugging me for a time now. I guess he had alot of gain turned up but so do I, and yea it could just be the nature of the amp.
Yes, the problem is just with the vypyr if that was the question

@Yooxa
I must have tried that earlier sometime but it did help alot with the palm muting, thank you.

Actually I just realised that the whole amp sounds that way, not as gainy, and the palm muting thing was just a thing that came with it.
If its to any help i'm currently using the K-stein setting with some tubescream for most of the songs i play. I think thats the setting i like the most right now but it still has that problem.
wasn't there a software update released for Vypyr watts 30+? Maybe that could cure your distortion problem...

I'd check it out at Peavey's website, I have a 15w so I dont have to worry about that.

My palmuting always sounds good, i have my amp on red "Rec" Pre @ 3, Low @ 1, Mid @ 2.5, High @ 12, Post @ 1.

This problem could also be your guitar? I know I've tried shitty guitars on my vypyr and they just don't cut it, mainly because they don't have high output pickups.

Just my 2cents
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Really? Shouldn't it already come with it as i only bought it a few months ago? And i can't imagine it would make such a huge difference really but i'll check that up!

I have tried that setting aswell and its pretty much the same I think.
I use a Schecter omen 6 extreme, not sure what pickups but i cant imagine their that crappy, atleast i hope not >_<
its probably a combination of your hand placement(technique) and your eq settings.

how close to the bridge is your hand when you palm mute?
Quote by 2841981
its probably a combination of your hand placement(technique) and your eq settings.

how close to the bridge is your hand when you palm mute?

This.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
i havent read much of this, but i own a peavey 30 and it has a ton of gain with a tube screamer

Try using the 6505 or Rec with tube screamer

Also it might be the palm mute. I place my hand as nearest to the bridge as i can and it sounds great. Let the end of your palm touch the bridge a little.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Same here. Vypyr 30 and when I want that beastmode distortion I either go 6505 or Rec. Turn your reverb and delay down and jack up yours pre/post-gain and highs. Keep your mids around middle and turn the low all the way down. Also, you can use tube scream if you want but I usually keep stompboxes and effects on bypass.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
You have a Tubescreamer in front of a K-Stein, and you don't have enough gain?

Either you're looking for some fizz quality gain or there's something wrong with your technique (are you muting lightly or do you literally press down on the string or there's something wrong with your Vypyr

Did you try bringing your guitar down to a guitar shop and trying another vypyr? The K-Stein or the 6505 model should have more than enough usable (and unusable) gain for any one.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well as my friend have tried it aswell and said the same thing as me I dont think its my hand placement, also tried his amp with about the same placement.

Okay, everyone says that vypyr isn't lacking any gain so that's probably true. Then its probably just me misunderstanding how its supposed to sound.
And actually yes, what i want is abit more fuzzy sound. Just couldn't find the word for it before But fuzzy sounds like it's bad, I want more like a thick "fuzzy" sound. I suck at explaining this stuff, gonna ask my mate about it later to give you some more accurate feedback about the sound...
well use the fuzz stomp box in a CLEAN channel
or it will sound like shit IMO
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
if you want fuzz as in a fuzz pedal as said use the fuzz pedal on clean, if you want fuzz as in a stock MT-2 fuzz try maxing out your mids and highs and see how that sounds. i have the vypyr 30 and i have no problem with palm muting sounds
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Meh, Im not really looking for a fuzz, im just completely worthless with these sound terms >_< Anyway, guess im just stupid... Seems like no one else has this problem and i dont think anythings really wrong with my amp.

Well, last question then. Anyone know if ur supposed to get a wire to connect the vypyr to ur computer with the purchase? Or does it depend on where you buy it?
Quote by Zamorak
All those amps are first off solid state, so you're not going to sound as good as other amps per se.
Or not?

Modelling =/= Solid State

I love solid state, really tight and chunky...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."