I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and the one class i want to take is AP music theory to help my skill sand to hopefully get good enough to audition for a music school. My parents don't seem to share my dream and won't let me take the class or even give me the chance to audition. They're afraid i won't be able to financially support myself, musics not a real career etc. I need some help convincing them any suggestions?
hmmmm, make sure you're actively doing something else (job?)
In all reality it is as you said "a dream", I can understand where your parents are coming from, Just make sure they know you have a way to support your self financially and they should loosen up abit.
A woman was left stunned when she saw her neighbour engaged in a solo sex romp on a trampoline

EPICNESS!
Threaten to become a crack selling prostitute if they wont let you do this, they'll surely go for the lesser of the two evils.
Tell your dad you know about his 'dirty little secret' on the PC, and you'll tell mum if he doesn't start seeing things your way.
Tell them that even if you don't go into music, the college credit will count for a humanities credit that you will need many of.
Tell them that if you get a degree in music you can get a more stable music job, like being a teacher/prof or a member of an orchestra or something like that. If you say "my band is going to make it big! Studying music will help!" then they will probably not go with it.
My friend takes that class. It really isn't helping him though
LUKE! I AM YOUR MOTHER!
Take the class anyway.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
its gonna cost u like 70-90 bucks to take the Music theory AP, which will save you like 500+ bucks when it comes to college credit.
Are you interested in anything else? Maybe if they see you have something else as a backup (like a minor in college) they'll be more supportive of your musical aspirations.
I pride myself on my humility.
Music Theory is a tough class man, and it's very heavily rooted in classical. Let me give you a few rules to live by in that class.

ALWAYS sharpen the 7th scale degree in minor. There is now no such thing as natural minor.
Parallel 5ths are not allowed.
All chords on the 7th scale degree MUST be in the 1st inversion.
Quote by In The Mist
Music Theory is a tough class man, and it's very heavily rooted in classical. Let me give you a few rules to live by in that class.

ALWAYS sharpen the 7th scale degree in minor. There is now no such thing as natural minor.
Parallel 5ths are not allowed.
All chords on the 7th scale degree MUST be in the 1st inversion.

Yeah, I f*cking HATE the rules you have to follow. You forgot, no doubling the 4th or 7th scale degree, you have to resolve dominant chords down a fifth, no parallel octaves, no using the III chord, you have to resolve chordal 7ths down by a step and leading tones up by a step, etc, etc. I HATE Mr. Fux.

/rant
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Quote by incarnation
Yeah, I f*cking HATE the rules you have to follow. You forgot, no doubling the 4th or 7th scale degree, you have to resolve dominant chords down a fifth, no parallel octaves, no using the III chord, you have to resolve chordal 7ths down by a step and leading tones up by a step, etc, etc. I HATE Mr. Fux.

/rant

Was that honestly his last name?

Mine was Mr. Schmidt. He had Touretts. It wasn't bad to the point where he yelled obscenities at random, by he twitched a LOT.
Last edited by In The Mist at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by XxRandom HeroxX
I'm going to be a senior in high school next year and the one class i want to take is AP music theory to help my skill sand to hopefully get good enough to audition for a music school. My parents don't seem to share my dream and won't let me take the class or even give me the chance to audition. They're afraid i won't be able to financially support myself, musics not a real career etc. I need some help convincing them any suggestions?

give them my phone number and i'll let them know what's up. i'm a jazz music student at a little liberal arts college. i didn't even get the chance to take music theory in high school at all. i became a music major two semesters ago. it's not even been an entire year yet. already, because of my schooling and connections i've:

- become a musical director's first-call bassist
- played numerous shows in numerous settings
- will be providing electric and upright bass for a platinum-selling band during their tour/live recording this month
- have a gig tonight at which i will make around $100
- got paid $75 to play one song a month ago

it's definitely financially rewarding. i don't know any business majors who already have their own businesses. i'm definitely already in the trenches though. i've hardly reached the top, i'm still a bottom feeder, but it's better to pay my dues now than in ten years.

the most important part is making connections and practicing, practicing, practicing. going to a good music school will allow that. had i had AP music theory in high school, and known i wanted to do music in high school, i could've been even further along at this point.

edit: lol, don't even get me started on the dumbass rules of voiceleading. those rules are so stupid they could've only been invented by white people. ****ing bach used parallel fifths.

sorry bach. you get an F in music theory I.
#DTWD
Balance it out by choosing an academic subject as well.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Tell your parents to stop being overbearing asswipes.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Tell them that if you want to be financially unsound, that its your choice, and that you wont mooch off them for the rest of your life.

Essentially, theyre making it about money, you make it about how they dont care about your happiness.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness