Hi. My dad has had a Tak for a long time and I believe its time for me to invest in a guitar with a pickup. I found a really good deal on a second hand Takamine EG363SC.

It looks fantastic, heard a demo or two, sounds good to me. Its a G series. I know the G series are the "mid-low" line of Taks, but what kind of quality can I expect from this model?

Also, I am drawn to the dreadnought, like this one, but I like that NEX shape Takamine do. Is it specifically for fingerstyle? Or are the NEX's just lower quality than the Dreadnought?
Last edited by Icarus Lives at Jun 5, 2010,
Don't buy a guitar with pre-installed electronics. If what you have already isn't horrible, just buy an AER AK15+ and get someone experienced to install it for you. It'll sound much, much better than a factory-installed pickup.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
the NEX shape is a dreadnought with rounded corners. it has no advantages or disadvantages regarding fingerstyle, and i don't think it's about price either - it's just another shape, and it's takamine own shape.

personally i don't care for the sound of lower cost taks, but if you really like this one and it's a good value, there ya go. how much time did you spend demo-ing it? i find it takes more then 20 minutes to get to know a guitar.
Quote by i_don't_know
Don't buy a guitar with pre-installed electronics. If what you have already isn't horrible, just buy an AER AK15+ and get someone experienced to install it for you. It'll sound much, much better than a factory-installed pickup.

What I have is pretty crap. But I can't believe what you are saying. Is it because that pickup you mentioned is better?
Quote by Icarus Lives
What I have is pretty crap. But I can't believe what you are saying. Is it because that pickup you mentioned is better?

He probably doesn't know that Taks are reputed for having good electronics.

He does however, have a point about adding to what you have.

Is your current guitar any good? Perhaps get a K and K like Andy McKee uses for about £120...that will sound better than anything else.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
*shrug* I've always found takamines, even low end ones, to have pretty good built-in electronics. Out of all the lower-end mainstream manufacturers, I've found that Takamine (and Ovation, because they're part of the same company) has the best electronics.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
*shrug* I've always found takamines, even low end ones, to have pretty good built-in electronics. Out of all the lower-end mainstream manufacturers, I've found that Takamine (and Ovation, because they're part of the same company) has the best electronics.

You are *shrugging* at i_don't_know right?

Seeing as it came right after my post and I am agreeing with what you are saying

Anyway TS. So do you have a budget in mind for a guitar then?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Skeet UK
You are *shrugging* at i_don't_know right?

Seeing as it came right after my post and I am agreeing with what you are saying

I am, indeed.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.