Hey, I think I'm gonna build a ruby amp and I was wanting to add tone controls, but I don't really know how to go about doing it. Would this be too hard for a first time amp builder to design? Should I just build the basic ruby amp and think about modding it later? Is it even possible to do with this amp, or any reasons not to?

I do have experience building pedals, I've built 5 BYOC pedals and built a mixer on perfboard, but I have no experience with building amps or designing circuits, though I do kinda understand the basics and can read simple schematics.

I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find anything, and what I do find seems a tad over my head.
hm, good suggestion, I'll probably use that unless someone gives me some help with adding a tone stack. I'll probably eventually make it into a 1x10 combo amp. if I do I'll probably figure out a way to run em both off the same power and mount em both above the speaker. I'm mostly doing it for the experience, but I'd also like to have a small easily portable amp.

edit: ^ interesting, is there a way to implement that but with bass, mid, and high instead of just one tone control?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 5, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
I think you've missed my post.
Check link.

Quote by me
edit: ^ interesting, is there a way to implement that but with bass, mid, and high instead of just one tone control?

my bad, see my edit
^ those are only one knob though right? I kinda want 3 bands... idk, I might try that. I'm pretty sure I'll just build it basic and see what that sounds like first, then figure out what direction to take for tone controls. I guess I kinda made this thread prematurely.

any other ideas to toss around?

quickedit: I guess I could just build a big muff style tone control into it, and then later if I still feel like I want more control I could try the tonemender
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jun 5, 2010,
Interesting thread is interesting.

any idea if a single pot could be made to scoop mids?

Would make an awsome pedal on its own.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker