If a(Tube) combo amp doesn't have a headphone out jack, and if it has a cab out, can i use a jack converter to make a headphone port? And if so, will that blow out my headphones?
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
It might also kill the head

EDIT: Scratch that, I forgot it's a combo. But I wouldn't do it.
Quote by NosralTserrof
If a(Tube) combo amp doesn't have a headphone out jack, and if it has a cab out, can i use a jack converter to make a headphone port? And if so, will that blow out my headphones?

Yes, it will blow hour headphones and your combo amp.

Not enough load and impedance mismatched.
Absolutely not, that will blow your headphones and the OT very quickly.

Quote by NosralTserrof
Does Wattage matter? Like maybe for a 20W Jet City Combo.......

Well, it's that plus an impedance and voltage problem. All else forgotten, 20w output will kill your less than 1w headphones.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 5, 2010,
As an electronics technician, let me say that you can absolutely do what's being asked. First off, who is going to turn up the amplifier to 10 and feed 20 watts into their headphones? Damage to your hearing would occur, slightly ahead of your headphones failing due to excessive wattage. The next thing we need to worry about with a tube amp is impedance. The impedance of headphones varies - some are 16 ohm, some 32 ohm and others may be totally different. Ideally, if you know the impedance of your headphones and can match it to the amp, then your good to go. Some amps have adjustable outputs, that is, you can adjust the impedance to match the impedance of your cab. As a general rule, if the impedance of the amp is 16 ohms, we generally either connect a cab with the same impedance or go higher, for example, a 32 ohm cab. Connecting an 8 ohm cab to a 16 ohm head, or amp, would normally be a bad thing to do.

So, bottom line: You can do it. Either match the impedance exactly, or make sure the impedance of the headphones is higher than the head. Keep the volume levels low - it typically only takes milliwatts to drive a good pair of headphones. Sound from the headphones may not sound as good as the sound from the cab, since most cabs, if not all, are designed to have some influence on the sound.
Quote by KG6_Steven
As an electronics technician, let me say that you can absolutely do what's being asked. First off, who is going to turn up the amplifier to 10 and feed 20 watts into their headphones? Damage to your hearing would occur, slightly ahead of your headphones failing due to excessive wattage. The next thing we need to worry about with a tube amp is impedance. The impedance of headphones varies - some are 16 ohm, some 32 ohm and others may be totally different. Ideally, if you know the impedance of your headphones and can match it to the amp, then your good to go. Some amps have adjustable outputs, that is, you can adjust the impedance to match the impedance of your cab. As a general rule, if the impedance of the amp is 16 ohms, we generally either connect a cab with the same impedance or go higher, for example, a 32 ohm cab. Connecting an 8 ohm cab to a 16 ohm head, or amp, would normally be a bad thing to do.

So, bottom line: You can do it. Either match the impedance exactly, or make sure the impedance of the headphones is higher than the head. Keep the volume levels low - it typically only takes milliwatts to drive a good pair of headphones. Sound from the headphones may not sound as good as the sound from the cab, since most cabs, if not all, are designed to have some influence on the sound.

shut the flying **** up.

20 watts is maximun clean wattage. you run out of that at something like 2 or 3 on the volume knob. a 20 watt amp will easily put out 40-50 watts of distorted power by 10 n the volume knob. Relatively your already putting out something like 4-5 watts on 1 at the master volume.

jeez electrical technician? shut the **** up. i wouldn't want you to work on shit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 5, 2010,