Hi

I know this kind of threads have been sitting in this and other forums for long time, but i'm still here trying to decide between some good low wattage amps for home practising and recording.

I've got a few pedals and i'm planning to buy some distortion boxes, like OCD, CRUNCH BOX.

So i'm not caring much for tube crunch on it's own, i just want a good Tube Amp Head that takes well pedals, and it still can get a bit crunchy on it's own.

I'm trying to decide between:

VOX AC4TV HEAD
BLACKHEART Little Giant HEAD
HARLEY BENTON GA15

I've heard and read that the vox is the best, with it's own attenuator, but someone said that it doesn't sound good with distortion pedals or fuzz. And it's just wrong to boost it with a tubescreamer.

I've heard and read that the Harley Benton has a shitty tone on it's own with it's speaker and tubes, that replaced and it gets wild and besides it was FX LOOP and it's cheap.

I've heard and read that the Blackheart is pretty DAMN GOOD with pedals, that is a good BASE for building a tone via pedalboard.

That is precisely what i want, a good BASE for building my tone pyramid :P

Please not that I'm not concerned about gigging or rehearsals cause i have my marshall jcm 900 for that.

I just want some input on people who have tryed one or 2 or the 3 of them, so i can make my choice.

Thank you,

Diogo Teque
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Ive considered the harley benton before in the past but never tried it but i have tried the vox and it odes have a nice clean sound and does get pretty dirty if you crank it with the wattage down. Not sure about how it takes pedals tho
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

Ibanez rgr321ex
Epiphone SG special
Peavey bandit 112
ibanez tube king tk999ht
Kustom dart 10fx
Vox pathfinder
digitech grunge
yea the ht5 seems pretty good, and it has FX loop.

never thought about it, does it take pedals well?
i don't want built in gain or fx, is the built in gain tube?
how's the clean signal?

i'm gonna research that head a bit...
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Right now I'm playing through my AC4 with overdrive and a SUF Muff, trust me it sounds good. I know another user here posted some clips with his AC4 cranked and boosted that sounded great. I've got a number of pedals running through and have tried plenty, it takes them well. It can get crunchy at decent levels thanks to the attenuator.

A downside is that it doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. It's usually enough for me as I'm using single coils and tend to play quite quiet but it might be a concern for you. Also the lack of an FX loop but not many smaller amps have one.

Can't comment on it compared to the other two amps as I haven't played either of them.
thanks for the input.

i'm just amazed by the ht-5 from blackstar cause it has an fx loop.
i'm researching it now, i think it will be my choice, i was leaning more for the blackheart but now... hmm
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
hmm cool!

i'm watching blackstar ht-5 videos.

is it all tube?
the gain channel has digital gain? or pre-amp? is it tube gain too?

hmmm i might start one thread about the ht-5 then
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
There are loads of threads on the HT5 you can search for.

I think the gist of them is that they looked brilliant when they came out and were very popular, but the popularity led to a big price increase, so now they're not as popular. Apparently it's not exactly all tube. However, lots of people love it and it is always one of the top suggestions in threads of this type.

One other thing, the BH5 has a 3w switch as well as the full 5w, in case you didn't know (as you mentioned the AC4 attenuator).
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
recording might be the problem- a lot of the cheaper tube amps, while sounding fairly decent, can have a fair bit of background noise. I haven't tried any of the 3 you listed, but that's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?