My friend is getting rid of his squire strat that came in one of those starter boxes with an amp and junk. I might buy it from him cheap and I was planning to strip the paint and stain the body, but I was wondering if the wood used in these guitars are even good enough to stain? I know my friend (different friend) stripped his and accidently sanded too deep and had a spot of like plywood or something.

Would stain look ok on it? or would it be a waste of time and a guitar?
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
stain would not look realy good on a plywood guitar, with any luck it should be a cheap cut of a tone wood such as ash
hmm, thats what I was sorta thinking ^^^ idk, maybe if i get it ill just strip it, repaint it, and try to get a little better sound.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Find the guitar online, so we know what specific guitar your talking about. It might be alder, which does take stain alright. Or, if you have it sanded down, get a nice grain shot and we can identify the wood.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I made this exact thread a while back.

Anyways, I think the wood is Agathis and not plywood.
You could stain it if you wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be worth it. If you stain it a whole lot so there is hardly any grain showing then it would look good I think. Give it a shot just so I can see the result. I was gonna do the same.
Quote by a7xplayer
I made this exact thread a while back.

Anyways, I think the wood is Agathis and not plywood.
You could stain it if you wanted to, but it probably wouldn't be worth it. If you stain it a whole lot so there is hardly any grain showing then it would look good I think. Give it a shot just so I can see the result. I was gonna do the same.

Ya, I have always wanted to stain a guitar to kinda match my desk and pedalboard, and I never had the balls to do it to my tele or schecter. That was sorta my plan to go with a darker stain, cus I knew even if it had usable wood it wouldn't have that great of a grain on it.

^ (Invader jim) I'm thinking he got the guitar about 4-5 years ago, because we both started playing about the same time. I know it isn't new (past 2 or so years).
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

well my squier Bullet is Basswood, if that helps.

don't think it does though

is it a bullet, affinity or standard?
I stripped my old squier for a repaint, Was alder, with some weird laminate on the top of it that I never identified. I was planning on just staining it, but to my dismay, when I sanded it down there were big patches of very light coloured filler, especially on the edges. I ended up painting it solid colour. Hopefully yours won't be so bad, the grain looked nice enough so it would have been good to stain.
The squire isnt made of plywood. It will be made of alder or agathis depending on the model. But the wood used wont be 2 or 3 pieces it will be made of 10 +/- narrow strips laminated together which wont look good at all stained and clear coated. Plus they slather a very thick layer of pore filler or what ever they use to make it quicker to sand smooth.

Go with a solid color and save yourself alot of headaches.