Used guitar prices.

This is my conclusion after the last couple of years reading thousands of local gutar ads on our local buy/sell sites (Craigslist, Kjiji,etc)

Take a new electric guitar that cost $1000

After purchase that guitar will sell 'used' for (not the same as originally listed for):

Fender.................750
Gibson.................600
Gretsch.................550
Ibanez.................450
Jackson................400
BC Rich................350
PRS......................300

Any brand that is not instantly recognizable will usually sell from $250 to $300.

Of course there are lots of exceptions....the right buyer at the right time, etc. but they are the exceptions.

The most meaningless line in any ad is 'I paid (x amount) for it', as if it is suppose to justify the selling price. Nobody cares what you bought your PRS 'whatever' for...98% of the folks wanting to buy a guitar have never heard of it and don't care. The few buyers who might have their interest tweaked just sit back and wait for the price to drop to $250 or so.

Also, don't think upgrades help. A guitar has been altered a black mark for most buyers. You don't want to buy a 2009 toyota Corolla that a guy boasts about working on himself...the same with guitars...changes in pick ups, tuners, etc, can be an instant turn off. Those guitars can sit unsold for ages.

Bottom line, if you want to buy a new guitar but not sure what brand...get a Fender, Gibson or at least an Ibanez. You can at least get a chunk of your money back if you decide to get a different axe a couple of months or a year down the road.
Quote by Raptorfingers

Bottom line, if you want to buy a new guitar but not sure what brand...get a Fender, Gibson or at least an Ibanez. .

^ totally wrong. really bad advice to be giving people.

so if you buy used, you can recoup most of what you paid? Is that what you are getting at?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 5, 2010,
Yeah, this is seriously skewed information. All of the points you make have counterpoints that are much stronger. If somebody's buying a PRS: they likely do know what it is; they do care what the buyer paid (I know I like to know); and modifications are usually upgrades, so that is incentive for a smart buyer. An Epiphone LP will almost ALWAYS take a backseat to an Epiphone LP with improved locking tuners, new nut, upgraded pick-ups, etc.

...I don't even know why you'd say something like this. What is your thesis? I demand to know.
Upgrades are a plus for most people...more often than not, the small things like tuners and electronics go a long way with buyers. Those price ideas are pretty far off for most guitars. I understand that you may have an idea of your own...but that is way too general and far fetched to be a valid representation of "most" local advertising media.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
If I spot a guitar that has upgraded pickups, and had the stock tuners switched out for say, Sperzel locking tuners, I'm going to jump on that and be far more interested then a completely stock guitar. It'd be rare to see a person that took a guitar down a notch, instead of upgrading..

Say you spy an Epiphone Studio Les Paul. Stock pickups switched out for SD's. Wouldn't you want that over the stocks? Or you spy an Ibanez RG, locking tuners installed... Just some random examples.

I fail to see the good advice in this...
If someone's advertising having worked on a car himself, I'm going to assume it's broken. BUT. If I know how to fix a car just fine, then it doesn't matter how screwed the car is. Same goes for guitars. So the guy may have screwed up installing new pickups, but I can just turn around and re-solder them myself if it's cheaper than having bought the guitar without and buying the pickups seperate. Least the materials are there if you know how to fix it yourself.

Oh, and. Used Fenders and Gibsons don't sell very high, unless they're old as HELL. Too many people have em and there's just not enough demand for all the used ones floating around, so people have to lower them just to get em sold at all.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
disagree completely. USA strats sell for around $1000 new, but i would never pay $750 for a used one. generally it's the rule of halves. you can expect to get about half of what you payed new for something. your $500 guitar might get you $250, your $1000 might get you about $500.

plus, nobody buys a $1000 as an investment piece anymore. at least not on purpose. you might buy a limited edition and keep it nice and clean, then find out a few years later that they're somewhat sought after. but nobody goes into a les paul studio thinking "one day people are going to want this guitar..." they might be nice, but they're everywhere.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
The idea behind this thread is actually pretty good....some kind of place where typical expected prices to pay for popular gear in various conditions....but I agree the information in the OP is flawed beyond belief. So many ridiculous statements.
Ahahah.

That made me lol.

Quote by Raptorfingers
Also, don't think upgrades help. A guitar has been altered a black mark for most buyers. You don't want to buy a 2009 toyota Corolla that a guy boasts about working on himself...the same with guitars...changes in pick ups, tuners, etc, can be an instant turn off. Those guitars can sit unsold for ages.

So TS, you'd buy a new Epi LP stock for $600, vs a well kept Epi LP with Seymour Duncans and Locking tuners for $450?

Quote by Raptorfingers
Bottom line, if you want to buy a new guitar but not sure what brand...get a Fender, Gibson or at least an Ibanez. You can at least get a chunk of your money back if you decide to get a different axe a couple of months or a year down the road.

First off it's called research. At that price point of $1000 if you just randomly buy a guitar for teh lulz and end up disliking it, you're retarded.
Also why at least an Ibanez if it's mid-way the list?

AND what guitars did you even look at?

Judging by price.
Fender: American Special or Standard?
Gibson: Some faded special studio something?
Dunno much about Grestch, but I thought their stuff was pretty pricey.
Ibanez: non-prestige RG or S
Jackson: JS Series or the series right after it? (I think X but i can't remember)
BC Rich: Not sure? Bronze Series?
PRS: some SE model.

You sir, fail.
I buy a guitar if I like it. I have never bought a new guitar anyways because I couldn't usually afford the one I wanted new. If it has upgrades then that's a plus in my book. When I buy an instrument the last thing I think of is "I wonder how much I'll be able to sell this for down the road".
There's so much wrong with this thread....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...