I've been getting heavy into jazz and a thought just came to me; I know there are many jazz standards, songs that bands are expected to know because of their popularity, but are there any standards in other genres? like rock for example? are there any songs that any rock band should be able to play at any given time? I would guess Stairway to Heaven could be considered one, but how about others?

tl;dr What are some songs every rock band should know?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Smoke on the Water. Oh wait, that was a jazz tune.

That, Purple Haze, Paranoid, ...basically, go to any bar, listen to band play the same songs that every other band in every other bar plays. That'll inform you. ...although, very few bands I've seen have played any of the three I've listed. People play Yellow Ledbetter a lot.
just look up a list of best bar band songs. those are basically rock standards. stuff like "proud mary," "back in black," "stairway to heaven," "sweet home alabama," etc. etc.

i have a shit ton of real books and even some of those have some newer (70s/80s) pop/rock tunes.
#DTWD
Sultans of Swing
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by primusfan
just look up a list of best bar band songs. those are basically rock standards. stuff like "proud mary," "back in black," "stairway to heaven," "sweet home alabama," etc. etc.

i have a shit ton of real books and even some of those have some newer (70s/80s) pop/rock tunes.

Well thats what made me curious, I own a Real Book full of Jazz songs and wanted to know if there what the Pit thought about rock standards.

Also, Thanks for all the contributions!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Sweet Home Alabammer, Stairway to Heaven, Freebird, Paint it Black, Every Rose Has It's Thorn
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Crazy Train, Back in Black, Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird, Sunshine of Your Love
Clapton is god, accept it.
Screw Standards. I mean it. Why should we be expected to be play a song we may not like? Follow your influences, not standards.

But If I had to pick strandards:
FreeBird
Whole Lot of Love
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Quote by Blackwaterson89
Screw Standards. I mean it. Why should we be expected to be play a song we may not like? Follow your influences, not standards.

But If I had to pick strandards:
FreeBird
Whole Lot of Love

I hear ya, I would rather play songs I like than standards for a crowd (whether they be popular or not); but that wasnt the question
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

Quote by TK1
I hear ya, I would rather play songs I like than standards for a crowd (whether they be popular or not); but that wasnt the question

I believe my second part of my post answers your question
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton