Hello UG forums!

I'm having a crisis.
I want a new amp, i'm looking for atleast 30watts.
The thing is, all i want is a very simple amp. This amp should consist of these things:
1- A Bass EQ
2- A Mid EQ
3- A Treb EQ
4- A Volume Dial
5- An Overdrive Switch
6- (Not as important) An Output/Headphone Jack
7- (Obvious, but I'm being pretty thorough with this list so may as well include it) An Input

My problem is that most modern amps seem to have way too many extra 'cool features'. I use my Boss effects pedals for Overdrive/Distortion, Reverb, Delay, any other effects i can get my hands on that are awesome, so i can get a true crystal clear tone when they're not in use. These almost lose their use and effectiveness on amps such as Line 6's that have all these presets.

Anyway, rant over, can anyone tell me a good amp that delivers these things, and no extras that are unnecessary, I love Marshall amps, so if they do anything like that for not too much money, that'd be perfect. But any suggestions welcome.

Cheers guys.
Genre?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
*Sigh*

Budget?
Nearest city?
Willingness to go used?
Tones looking to achieve?
What other gear you own?
Home use or gigging?

No way can we give you good suggestions when all you've said is you like simplicity, marshall amps and dont want to spend too much
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Jun 6, 2010,
ahhh just looked at the advice thread then this if only TS had aswell before posting
Any of the small "boutique" tube heads would be awesome, and provide way more volume than you think. I used a Tiny Terror (15 watts) through a 10" speaker, and was pretty happy. Then I got a 2x12 for it, and I swear the thing is over twice as loud now.

Egnator, Blackstar, Blackheart(Crate), Vox, and Mesa all make a head that would be great, and I believe all except the Mesa are available in combo versions. The Blackheart one is the coolest, but sounds a little cheaper to me. Then again, it is cheaper.
How about a Mesa Electra Dyne?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
*Sigh*

Budget?
Nearest city?
Willingness to go used?
Tones looking to achieve?
What other gear you own?
Home use or gigging?

No way can we give you good suggestions when all you've said is you like simplicity, marshall amps and dont want to spend too much

I don't really have a budget, but I was hoping someone might know of an amp that offers my needs without breaking the bank.
Nearest city is no issue, i'll order from the internet if i have a good recommendation, but i'm close to Taunton, Exeter and Bristol, so fair few good guitar shops there (Mansons) .
Used amps are fine, but i'm not asking you to shop for me, just want specific amp models really.
Looking to acheive a wide range of clean tones, but i use my Boss OS-2 for overdrive/distortion.
Other gear - Boss pedals: OS-2, RV-5, DD-3, HM-2. I also have a Marshall VT-1.
I have two small amps currently, both Marshall, both MG's, one 10w the other 15, but got them both from my Dad , who get's tons of stuff free from work.
Oh , and my guitar is a Dean From Hell, which works great for metal and jazz, but i'm looking to get an Explorer custom made by ESP to get a more classic rock sound.
I want this amp for band practices and gigging, as the other two little amps work great for home use.

Hope that helps, sorry for being vague before
so you want a clean amp as a platform to run pedals off?

Roland JC or Fender Twin Reverb
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

How about CEC amplification's Suckerpunch 15?
http://www.cecamps.com/main/suckerpunch15/
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Peavey classic 30
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
If you get a nice tube amp it's probably worth getting something with a decent overdrive channel. A nice, warm, tube amp will give you distortion so much better than a pedal. You could always use your pedals to just give it an extra kick when necessary.

Since you're in the UK you should have a look at some Laneys. Maybe something in the LC or VC lines?

EDIT: Haven't played them myself so I can't vouch for them personally but from what I've heard they should definitely be worth a look.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jun 7, 2010,
Jet city? Peavey classic 30? old JCM 800 combo?
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
What about the little Hiwatt HG 50 combo? Big punchy cleans and a high gain channel. Simple but good. And not a bank breaker.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I don't know why you want an overdrive switch if you have a pedal. Overdrive switches sound terrible 90% of the time.

My sugesstions:
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5
USED Marshall JCM 800
Vox AC30 Custom (keep in mind, I did not say custom classic, nor did I say handwired. The custom classics are total crap, and the handwired are very expensive and ball crushingly loud)

Quote by Metal_Militian

Oh , and my guitar is a Dean From Hell, which works great for metal and jazz, but i'm looking to get an Explorer custom made by ESP to get a more classic rock sound.

I hope you configure it right, ESP guitars usually have metal overtones even when set up for classic rock. Have a look at their tele copy for classic rock, it's brilliant.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I hope you configure it right, ESP guitars usually have metal overtones even when set up for classic rock. Have a look at their tele copy for classic rock, it's brilliant.

Where are these tele copies you speak of?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Ohhh you're in the UK
Maybe a Laney VC30? Or for a little more, an Orange Rocker 30?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Definitely an Axe-FX Ultra.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Carrot
Where are these tele copies you speak of?

I was mistaken, it is not a regular series (at least not anymore) it now only comes as the Ron Wood signature.

However, they make a pretty mean strat copy

Bristol are you in rhode island. R u a clean well kept savory character? Will I like the cut of your jibe? Your welcome to come over and try my amps.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Pignose G40v.....amazing amp, tube, cheap(price wise), 40watts, sounds great for everything even with stock tubes(id change them out though, iv got mesa power tubes in mine).
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I fell in love with the tiny terror when I played it through a 412 orange cab. But its a one trick pony so its either you like it or you don't.

I think you should get something like a fender twin or a roland jazz. Its a great clean amp to run pedals into.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ