What are your opinions on Multi-FX pedals? like the boss gt-10, line 6 pod, etc.

I've never been crazy about them, I prefer to buy separate effects pedals, and I've never heard an overdrive/distortion on one that I actually liked.

What about you guys?
I really enjoy my ME-25. It not only gives me a broad spectrum of ideas of how I could build a pedalboard in the future, but it also lets me record straight into my computer. I don't hook up to my Vypyr though because I believe the Vypyr's modelling is a better, but when I need more versatility from my tube, as far as overdrive and distortion, it makes it painless. Plus, it has a headphone jack which is awesome for night practice.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
In my opinion, I do not like them much at all. There are too many options. Too many presets that aren't even great quality. If you don't like a digital and distorted, fuzzy sound, don't go with any multi-effects unit. Your best bet is to go with several single effect stompboxes so there isn't any confusion with finding the right tone, the single stomp boxes are simple and sound much better and natural.
Multi-effects units really come into their own when you use them for recording. This is especially true of the better ones like the DigiTech RP1000 and the higher-end Line 6 gear. A lot of people aren't thrilled with them for live use, but they do seem to be getting better for that. The ME series Boss units sound better live than do the GT series, but then again, if you want to record with them then I would go with the GT series.

A lot of it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are into arranging complicated schemes involving numerous effects and storing them so they are available at the touch of a button, then a multi-effects processor is the way to go. If you use only a few pedals, then go with single boxes.

In the end, you pays your money and you makes your choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I really dislike multi-fx. I really prefer natural sound... Just a guitar and amp. I'll use an overdrive on occasion but that's it.

Not saying that multi-fx pedals are bad, they're just definitely not for me.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
The ME50 was my workhorse for 4-5 years, I just switched over to the GT-PRO and I couldn't be happier.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
I've never heard a multi-FX thing that I've liked the sound of at all really, or anything digital for that matter.

Analog stomp boxes are far superior in sound quality, and they don't look lame either.

It always seems to be metal-heads that like the whole multi thing.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I've never heard a multi-FX thing that I've liked the sound of at all really, or anything digital for that matter.

Wich one have you tried??
Higher end one are quite good
Quote by Sguit
Wich one have you tried??
Higher end one are quite good

Two different PODs that a couple friends had, another boss one, not sure which model.
Heard various ones and youtube and stuff.

I'd never buy one anyway, unless it sounded absolutly breathtaking.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I prefer to be able to tweak knobs on all my pedals while I'm practicing. Multi fx makes this a pain in the ass. I don't use a lot of effects anyway.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I don't like them too much. They're good when you're starting out, and you aren't really sure of what you need, but they don't really deliver. The only reason that I'd get one is if it was a really high end one with routing options and the effects didn't sound very digital.

Although I might just be biased, seeing as how I had to take out my RP90 because it made my 6505+ buzz like hell.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
i gig every week, and have gone both routes: using pedals and a mutli-effects.

multi-effects sound very good now. personally, i have a RP1000 and i like it a lot, but i have to say i'm getting rid of it to start getting my individual pedal board back together.

if you have a lot of songs that spread across many different sounds that need subtle variations, then you need the multi-effects. you can't reach down and tweak 3-5 pedals between each song. you pretty much have to find a pedal and stick with it. with multi-effects, you can do all of this up front, and then perform the song switching yourself.

if you can get away with only 1 main distortion sound and only 1 chorus sound and..., then pedals will be the way to go. you will get a much better sound with better control out of an individual pedal (not to mention it is much more intuitive for the user). if you have lots of money, you can buy (or build) pedal switching boards that will let you plug individual pedals into a switch/router that you can program, and this will help you to stay away from having to click 4-10 pedals on/off between songs.

multi-effects give you the ability to go directly into the house (my RP1000 went directly into the board). i do have to say that the sound you will get from running through a mic'd amp and directly into the board is night and day. go through a cab/amp. you won't be sorry.

like i said, this all depends on your setting. if you are a in a band that has a certain sound, and you can play 10 songs in a row with the same basic sound, then get the pedals. if you need 3 different chorus sounds, multiple distortions and whatnot, then the multi-effects will help you out unless you feel like buying multiples of the same pedal.

whatever you get, go all out. if you're an adult, then you probably have a couple hundred bucks you can spare a month on your hobby. just start accruing pedals over time; buy one a month. in a year, you'll have a bitchin rig. i don't understand why these kids on here are always buying these cheap pedals. save your money for a week or two and get what you really want. if you're going to drop $300, might as well spend $400 and get something fantastic.
Where I particularly like using multi-fx is live. One can program each song to perfection and then write the patches you use next to the song title in your set list. You do of course have to be intelligent about it and have all the patches for a particular song in the same bank but that's not hard. Clever use of expression pedals on your patches helps too.
The only time I prefer individual pedals is when I'm just jamming with mates.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Convenience-wise, multi-effects pedals are pretty darn useful. It's just everything collected into one handy unit, with a tuner included (which is the main important aspect for me, as I'm paranoid and my low-quality guitars constantly go out of tune). To add to that, the sheer diversity and range of sounds is extremely fun to play around with. Even if it's just a really simple product I own, I think I do appreciate the efficiency of multi-effects units. However, that said, I'm still a fan of single pedals, so both are fine with me. In a performance situation, though, I basically only use the former product these days, just because it's everything rolled into one.