If anyone could sticky this, that would be cool.

Hey there random forum user! Can't decide a MXR Overdrive or an Ibanez TS-9? What better place to ask than UG! But if you really care, give an extra 5 minutes or so to Describe what you want.

Things to Mention:

-Product you are looking at(Duh)
Maybe 3 of that product for users to chose

-Genre of music(Very important when choosing an Amp)
-Tell us your situation(FIST PUMP); Are you gigging or not, are you using this as a practice amp, etc.
-Do at least some research.

and most importantly:

Tell us your budget. IN UNITS. Like $400-$1000. Not "Cheap" or "The Middle"

BAD: "Yo daugs, what up i like to play metal. I'm lookin 4 a sweet amp and guitar. Any suggestions?"

Problems with that: He didn't describe his Genre very well, he didn't list some brands he liked, and he didn't state his budget. How the hell are we gonna help you if you put your thread like this? Oh, spelling. If you spell like a gentleman/lady, we're most likely not gonna troll all over you.

GOOD: "Hello everyone. After doing some research, I found a few amps that I like. I play everything from Classic Rock to Death Metal. I would like a all tube combo amp with at least 20W of juice. I plan on gigging soon, and effects are of no concern because I have(Unit X). Thank you in advance"

TL;DR: Explain your stuff. Help us help you.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Will hopefully be useful! the amount of threads that begin with people asking about budget or genre
one thing you forgot to mention is about whether people are willing to go used
ya but when people say that they don't mind used shit then people go crazy naming gear that has been discontinued for like 30 years.
Quote by Tedward
ya but when people say that they don't mind used shit then people go crazy naming gear that has been discontinued for like 30 years.

It's not our job to find it for you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
this already in the stickies...

also i bought a 35 yr old amp today. people do it all the time.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It's a forum full of bias. I have honestly been dissatisfied with 100% of opinions I have received as far as what gear to get. It should be common sense to go to a guitar shop and sit and play for hours trying to piece together what fits your style.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
I have honestly been dissatisfied with 100% of opinions I have received as far as what gear to get.

Maybe it is your OP or the way you ask

I see lots of good advice on here. So yeah, get off the internet.

tl;dr

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Closest City?
Current Gear?

provide that and you will get good answers
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Maybe it is your OP or the way you ask

I see lots of good advice on here. So yeah, get off the internet.

I see lots of good advice on here as well. I didn't really expect to get trolled from that, but from the gear questions I have asked in the past, I simply wasn't satisfied from any of the advice I have received. Sorry if that fueled your fire buddy. You have to understand that you will get advice from every type of genre player on earth. The answer to every advice question should be, "Hey, why don't you head up to your local shop and test it out. If you don't like it, try out something similar until you feel satisfied". A lot of people don't have that luxury though, but they still approach it with a blindfold on. You can be a follower or a leader man. Might want to take your sunglasses off so you can read all of this clearly.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
It's a forum full of bias. I have honestly been dissatisfied with 100% of opinions I have received as far as what gear to get. It should be common sense to go to a guitar shop and sit and play for hours trying to piece together what fits your style.

Err... No offense, but I just looked through your threads and there's not really any asking for suggestions for specific pieces of gear. However, in the ones you did ask for advice, you didn't say what kind of music you were using it for, or really much else than "is this good?"

The one where you did ask for a noise suppressor, you posted it in the wrong forum, and the answer that was given to you was correct anyway. But, just remember - GG&A is way cooler than Electric Guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You've got good ideas, but there is already a sticky like this.
The biggest problem is people dont read the stickies. A lot of questions that get asked here (not just in GG&A either) could be answered by looking through the stickies, and when its not something simple like that, people just dont give enough info for people to be able to help them properly.
Quote by cdr_salamander
I see lots of good advice on here as well. I didn't really expect to get trolled from that, but from the gear questions I have asked in the past, I simply wasn't satisfied from any of the advice I have received. Sorry if that fueled your fire buddy. You have to understand that you will get advice from every type of genre player on earth. The answer to every advice question should be, "Hey, why don't you head up to your local shop and test it out. If you don't like it, try out something similar until you feel satisfied". A lot of people don't have that luxury though, but they still approach it with a blindfold on. You can be a follower or a leader man. Might want to take your sunglasses off so you can read all of this clearly.

Hmm? You seem to post in the Electric Guitar section more often?

Anyways, everyone has biases, so the advice given will always be completely different. For example, I'm usually quite satisfied with the cleans from high gain heads like the Dual Recto, 6505+, Kranks etc. I am aware it is not the cleanest cleans around, but for most of my purposes it more than suffices

Our meat may be your poison.

Just take advice here with a pinch of salt and use it as basis for gear tests, rather than buying based on what is recommended.

I've seen advice been given which led to very happy blind buys.

That said, I've also seen people test gear based on advice, and ending up being not so happy.

So it goes both ways. IMO, it really is more a matter of understanding how to approach and take advice given on UG.

Personally, I think there is a lot of good advice given on UG, assuming you are reading the advice of reliable UGers.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.