3 20%
Gus 200 with Stock ESP pickups
0 0%
Gus 200 with EMGs
0 0%
Something else altogether
5 33%
Voters: 15.
I feel like I've got to the limit of what i can achieve with the guitar I have, and feel its time to move up to a Signature Gus G guitar so I can move up the ladder a bit and have a top-end guitar (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=gus+600&hl=en&aq=f)

I need a bit of guidance though:

1) Is it worth spending around 800 quid on a Gus 600, when I can pick up a Gus 200 for around 400?

2) Is having a Floyd Rose really that important (for heavy/death/power metal) when looking at a top-end guitar?

3) If and when I get the 600, would it be worth risking the guitar by fitting EMGs (passive obviously) to get a more 'metal' sound rather than the Seymour Duncans than it comes with?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm having to come up to decision time soon
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X
I think the 600 would be better. There are a lot of upgrades to take into consideration. Pickups, tuners, body wood, etc. Any 200 series I have ever played just felt weak and cheesy to me. 400 and up series have always felt good to me. Is the 600 a neck through or set neck and the 200 bolt on?
personally i would never waste my time on a signature series. the 'signature' basically means add a couple hundred bucks.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
personally i would never waste my time on a signature series. the 'signature' basically means add a couple hundred bucks.

I don't think you can get that exact body style without being a sig though. Otherwise normally I would agree.
Quote by cranium2001
Is the 600 a neck through or set neck and the 200 bolt on?

Yeahh the 600 is set-thru and the 200 is bolt-on
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X
1) The reason the Gus 600 is more expensive is because it's better.

Just look at the specs

GUS 600
Set-Thru
25.5” Scale
Alder Body
Flamed Maple Top
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
42mm Standard Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Black Nickel Hardware
ESP Locking Tuners
Tonepros Locking TOM & Tail
Seymour Duncan Distortion Bridge & ’59 Neck Pickups with Coil Split Mini Switch

GUS 200
# Bolt-On
# 25.5” Scale
# Basswood Body
# Maple Neck
# Rosewood Fingerboard
# 42mm Standard Nut
# Thin U Neck Contour
# 22 XJ Frets
# Black Nickel Hardware
# ESP Tuners
# TOM Bridge & Tail
# ESP LH-150 (B&N) p.u.

In the long run it makes more sense to get the Gus 600.

2) A floyd rose is only for people who actually use them often. I never touched mine so I blocked it. It takes at least 20-30 minutes (longer for new people) to change strings and it's very limiting in your tuning freedom. I only recommend floyds when you only play in one tuning and never change it. They do make a GUS 600 with a TOM bridge and if you're skeptical about the floyd then it makes more sense to just get the TOM GUS 600.

3) Passive EMGs suck. Everyone i know who had them swapped them out for ironically Seymour Duncan passives or Dimarzios. Those Seymour duncans HAVE a metal sound lol. Have you ever even listened to Firewind?

-----------

It makes no sense to get the Floyd model unless you only play in one tuning.
And the GUS 200 doesn't even compare to the 600.

http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=2&ModelID=103714

There's the TOM model and if you searched more you can find it for a better price. I found a floyd model for 700 instead of 800.
Cheers siverstorm, thats pretty much cleared up everything for me

And yeah, I'm a massive Firewind fan, to the stage of obsessiveness. It's just I had a feeling that maybe the EMGs would be a bit more diverse if I want to throw a bit of classic metal into it, because Gus uses similar pickups in his Eclipse when playing with Ozzy. If they suck though, I'll stick with the Seymours xD
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X
I just recently got into Firewind, started listening to them when I saw Gus G playing with Syu for an ESP anniversary or something .

I think Gus actually uses Seymour Duncan Blackouts with Ozzy which are active.

Either way actives are notorious for having bad clean tones. stay away if you want versatility.
Firewind are just incredible as a band, they've moved a hell of a long way from the early 'cheesy' stuff to now.

Ahhh i just saw the black-out and instantly thought EMG xD
Gear:

Vintage VS6
Roland Cube 20X
Zoom G1X