Page 1 of 16
Is what I have to argue on Thursday for my grade 12 sociology class. I have been tasked with this seemingly impossible argument.

My personal belief is that they should be allowed to, why should I care? But, and by no choice of mine, it seems I have to argue that they shouldn't be allowed to. Because there is no real reason as to why they shouldn't marry, I'm finding it extremely difficult to formulate some arguments, so this is why I'm here.

Why shouldn't homosexuals be allowed to marry?
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Marriage is a fairly religious ritual, so I say let religion have marriage and they can let whoever they feel like get married and then the government can give them legal unions. That way the gays get to be together just like the straight people and Christians can't say they have perverted marriage, since it's not a marriage, and it's not 'in the eyes of God'. Well I mean He'd see it, but you get what I'm saying.
I would totally accept an F because there is no reason. You might use captaincrunk's answer as some sort of loophole.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Go with the "it undermines the institution of marriage" route. Say if marriage is no longer strictly a bond between man and woman, it may lead to even cruder unions.

Of course if think this argument is bullshit as well... but... yeah
Quote by captaincrunk
No one should.

EDIT: Marriage is not something to be supported by government for heterosexuals or homosexuals. Marriage should not be recognized by the government. Why does it matter that two people are married?

^Use this point. Start asking why we need the government to decide everything for us, and why we cant just live our lives the way we see fit and give others the same courtesy. Everybody in attendance that is against it will just feel lke an ass.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at Jun 5, 2010,
Yep, I'd take the F.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Major déjà vu here. Wasn't there a thread by radomu with the exact same title a few months ago?

It's probably going to be a shitstorm just like last time.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I would totally accept an F because there is no reason. You might use captaincrunk's answer as some sort of loophole.

I actually think I'm close to the truth. Marriage isn't a governmental issue, it's not a religious issue, it's not a societal issue, it's not really a cultural issue either. Or rather it shouldn't be any of those things!
Because it's a religious issue that should be left solely to the individual church, synagogue, mausk or whatever an Islamic place of worship is called, etc., etc., to decide, not the state legally. Nobody should be forced to marry people they don't want to. Conversely, I feel this also includes heterosexual couples if the church so wills it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 5, 2010,
i would go with captain crunk's idea (in combination with necrosis'- maybe throw in "there should be tax breaks for any who cohabit", assuming there are currently tax breaks for married people, things like inheritence taxes, or even just that each person can nominate one next of kin who doesn't have to pay inheritance tax). Since you think homosexuals should be allowed to marry if heterosexuals are allowed to, go for the opposite tack- no-one should. at least then you're being consistent.

As long as you don't think the teacher will think you're being a smart-alec and will fail you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 5, 2010,
That's pretty messed up when they're forcing you to argue AGAINST your beliefs. Why should a teacher be allowed to do that to you? You're an individual and can speak out against or speak for whatever you choose to. If you believe homosexuals should be allowed marriage, then by all means let yourself be heard.

Take the god damned F, it's only a grade. Don't sell out your beliefs for f**king school systems.
Quote by metal_al73
penis + penis = ewww
penis + vagina = AWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

lol
Quote by metal_al73
penis + penis = ewww

so how does that work then? they ram their privates into each other?
A woman was left stunned when she saw her neighbour engaged in a solo sex romp on a trampoline

EPICNESS!
argue that marriage as a whole should not legally be recognized.

or you could write a really long winded ridiculous arguement that
mocks the idiot christian fundamentalists who don't think gays should
be allowed to marry
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by captaincrunk
I actually think I'm close to the truth. Marriage isn't a governmental issue, it's not a religious issue, it's not a societal issue, it's not really a cultural issue either. Or rather it shouldn't be any of those things!

Marriage that isn't officially recognized by some institution is hardly marriage at all. You're basically proposing then that we do away with the thing entirely. I'm down.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by captaincrunk

It's the truth but its far too integrated in our culture and the world rarely works in sensible ways.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by captaincrunk

Fucking exactly. The sex of the person you want to spend the rest of your life with is nobody's business but your own.
Quote by Butt Rayge

Quote by necrosis1193
Because it's a religious issue that should be left solely to the individual church, synagogue, mausk or whatever an Islamic place of worship is called, etc., etc., to decide, not the state legally.

What about atheists fool?
Quote by captaincrunk

Indeed. I'm agnostic and I want to get married one day.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Satire is the way to go. Extol all the shitty reasons that the anti-SSM crowd tries to give, and by doing so expose how ludicrous they are. Technically you'll have done your given assignment, but you'll also have made well known that what you're saying is bullshit.

Or yeah, captaincrunk's answer.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
They're setting you up with failure.

Tell them that, basically..Gays should not be allowed rights in the views of marriage because as shown in texts, it is a strictly MAN/WOMAN ordeal, tell them that they do not have a place being, "married" whereas they should have their own type of policy, or constricting thing.

Ehh, more or less.
Quote by chappoman
so how does that work then? they ram their privates into each other?

It's called docking.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
That's pretty messed up when they're forcing you to argue AGAINST your beliefs. Why should a teacher be allowed to do that to you? You're an individual and can speak out against or speak for whatever you choose to. If you believe homosexuals should be allowed marriage, then by all means let yourself be heard.

Take the god damned F, it's only a grade. Don't sell out your beliefs for f**king school systems.

My plan was to do my debate as Stephen Colbert would. Argue my point, but at the same time show all the flaws and stupidity behind my argument.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

Quote by BladeSlinger
It's the truth but its far too integrated in our culture and the world rarely works in sensible ways.

The rest of the world managed to figure it out on their own. Marriage has been seen to be a cultural universal, and each culture has it's own take on it. No religion can make a claim to it.
Last thing we need is gay couples adopting children thus creating a homo army.

There will be chaos on the streets!
Quote by captaincrunk

I'm not sure really, considering most marriage ceremonies are a service in the couples religion to signify joining in the eyes of the chosen diety, I've always wondered how an atheist wedding works myself.

Edit: Also TS, listen to Floppydick.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Say what my Aunt thinks, that it destroys the sanctity of religious marriage and makes a mockery of the history of marriage.
hello
Personally, I'd go with what crunk said. If you need more material and actually want something that can be argued with science, try going for a biological perspective, saying that allowing gays to be married is not right because a couple of the same gender cannot procreate. I know it's a bullshit argument seeing as we already have too many people, but your teacher will probably eat it up though.

At any rate, good luck with your project.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm not sure really, considering most marriage ceremonies are a service in the couples religion to signify joining in the eyes of the chosen diety, I've always wondered how an atheist wedding works myself.

Floppypick is TS
Quote by Butt Rayge

Quote by necrosis1193

wut
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by necrosis1193
Because it's a religious issue that should be left solely to the individual church, synagogue, mausk or whatever an Islamic place of worship is called, etc., etc., to decide, not the state legally. Nobody should be forced to marry people they don't want to. Conversely, I feel this also includes heterosexual couples if the church so wills it.

I do not think it's mainly a religious thing. I think. marriage predates a loooong time before our most popular religions.
Quote by necrosis1193

Wrong. That's not how the world works at all. Marriage is probably older than writing, and religion.
Quote by floppypick
My plan was to do my debate as Stephen Colbert would. Argue my point, but at the same time show all the flaws and stupidity behind my argument.

That would be monumentally awesome. Stephen Colbert is brilliant sometimes..
Quote by rmr024
Go with the "it undermines the institution of marriage" route. Say if marriage is no longer strictly a bond between man and woman, it may lead to even cruder unions.

Of course if think this argument is bullshit as well... but... yeah

like a union between a man and a bear?

now I happen to think that wouldn't be crude at all...
Quote by necrosis1193

I am the TS

Sheesh, even you guys can't think of something. This is going to be brutal.
One of my partners managed to get out of this because 'her brother is gay' but I don't even think she has a brother.

Ah well, Either satire, or just going completely overboard, with bullshit like religion.
Just for laughs, I look up the yearly birth rate in recent years, and in those same years I found that in those years lots of gay rights movements had been succeeding. IE Homosexuals are destroying our world by lowering birth rates by their homosexuality.

Find statistics, compare them to some others, and just shit all over it.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick