So I've only dabbled in Drop C a little bit (CoB's Are You Dead Yet? and Ozzy's I Don't Wanna Stop). Never did I bother to get thicker strings because I didn't stay in Drop C for long. But now my band is planning on playing "Monster" by Skillet for the 4th of July. As you guys know, it's in Drop C. Is it advised that I get thicker strings to play this song? And if so, what gauges do you guys think? I know I prolly sound like a noob, but as far as alternate tunings (other than 1/2 step down and Drop D), yes, I am a noob :/
What gauge do you have strung now? And on what guitar? What's the scale length? You'll need to (Most likely) adjust your truss rod to accomadate the tension difference. For dropped C on a 25.5" scale guitar (My LTD) I use D'addarrio .11-.49, and it works well. .11-.52 is a little tighter on your C, and might be a little more favorable to some, but for me a .49 is nice because I often go up to D standard as well and a .52 seems a little too tight at D. That's just my feel for it though.
if you're getting fret buzz or something when playing tuned down, you should prolly go for some .011 strings. If not, I guess you'll be fine with your current strings.
I use 10-46, but i like pretty loose strings. I used to play 9-42 in drop C :O!

I would reccomend 10-46, or maybe thicker on the low end. Depending on taste.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I use Ernie Ball Regulars on my Strat for Dropped C, so if you have something similar then it should be fine
I've got Dean Markley jazzwound .12-.56 (I think it's .56) on my Iceman, tuned to C. I think that's a decent match.

You don't need the thicker strings. Iommi played C standard with .09s or .10s for a long time when he ****ed up his fingers.

The thick strings really thicken up the tone though, as well as add tension.
Right now I've got Super Slinkies. .09-.42.
So, from an average of what you all suggested, I'm thinking
-Regular Slinkies .10-.46
-Power Slinkies .11-.48 or
-Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom Slinkies .10-.52
(I refuse to play anything but Ernie Ball)
Would one of these be better than the other two?
Or is it just a matter of taste?
Last edited by Unit 731 at Jun 5, 2010,
I like the Power Slinkeys, thats what I use on my SG.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Power slinkys, even without a proper setup it works awesome for drop c even drop b
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Remember to adjust the intonation as well as the trust rod when you are making a major change in guages!
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
I don't make intonation changes, or truss rod adjustment when changing tunings. My guitars still inotate fine. Honestly, I've never had to mess with any of that when changin tunings....
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
If you are just going to be playing one song in the drop tuning, tuning the guitar down for a day shouldn't really hurt it.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
If you are just going to be playing one song in the drop tuning, tuning the guitar down for a day shouldn't really hurt it.

Well I gotta practice too.
Thanks for all the help you guys. I think I'm gonna go with the Power Slinkies.
Thanks again!