I downpick everything, even guitar solos (and I do shit like painkiller and the mechanix) but is this a good idea? Like could I be faster if I learned how to alternate pick, and does it sound better (because I know if you alternate pick it sounds a lot different when you pick up)

Does it even really matter?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I downpick everything, even guitar solos (and I do shit like painkiller and the mechanix) but is this a good idea? Like could I be faster if I learned how to alternate pick, and does it sound better (because I know if you alternate pick it sounds a lot different when you pick up)

Does it even really matter?

Alternative picking is important,you will have to learn to do it eventually..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Alternate picking is much better because it will take you less effort to play fast and you'll be able to play faster. Plus you can make it sound the same as downpicking if you practise enough.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I really enjoy doing both. they both have thier own sound. downpick alot of times for strength or power. Metal is really the downpick style.
----------------------
good times

---------------------------

-- A.L.W.--

----------------------

when you just get tired of all the effects and riffs.

in theory you could be 2x faster if you learned to alternate pick. while good for some techniques, strict downpicking is overall not very efficient. as for sounding different, yes, but if you practice, you wont notice the difference and/or use the difference for stylistic purposes.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
yeah you could play faster, you can play 2 notes to your 1. very handy, i would get out of that habit.
yeh the majority of fast paced metal songs really need to be alternative picked to make them sound good, just a matter of practice really
here is an analogy
alt picking = sonic (speed)
down picking = knuckles (power)
Alternate all the way

Painkiller and The Mechanix solos downpicking? lol must sound like a lot of noise, either you notice it or not
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
you're goin to have to alternate pick at sometime or another because some songs are just immpossible to play downpicking only, such as "she-wolf"
Both MUST be in your trick bag and in every guitarists one !! If you want to be a rhythmic player that's your choice, continue the downstroke way of life... but you will never be a good and advanced soloist.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...