Right, so recently I thought about maybe getting a bass. I already have access to a fretless, but I much prefer fretted :P. I'm a pretty good guitarist (grade 6 standard) and can already play decently on a bass.
I'm not too sure about what to get, though. I was considering a 5-string, because I want to play metal, but I also want to play slap bass, so I thought the extra string could get in the way :S.
Basically, what's a good, well-rounded starter bass? My budget's only £155 ($224) at the moment :/ so I'll probably wait a few months, but not too long :P.

P.S.: I already have a decent amp for it, so I don't have to spend anything on that :P

Edit: Just thought that second hand could be an option :P. If anyone knows a decent place to get second hand bass guitars, that'd be great . Oh, but not ebay, unless it's pick up
Last edited by JT436 at Jun 5, 2010,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491
post #3

edit: i guess i can be a little nicer...i got an ibanez gsr200 for $200 new after playing guitar for 3/4 years...it works great for the punk and metal that i play
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
Last edited by wannabe_punk at Jun 5, 2010,
don't need a 5 string for metal :P 4 strings ftw. My first bass was a
Rogue SX100B Series II which im not sure i'd recommend to you, but seeing as your already a decent guitar player you'll probably be able to handle some buzzy strings unlike me who was an absolute begging when i got it. What i think you should get is a Ibanez GSR200 (GSR 205 is the 5 string version, still pretty good) i think they are around your budget. Really beautiful basses. It's what i currently have and i don't plan on getting a new bass for quite some time.
Quote by wannabe_punk
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737491
post #3

edit: i guess i can be a little nicer...i got an ibanez gsr200 for $200 new after playing guitar for 3/4 years...it works great for the punk and metal that i play

lol, i never even read through that post and the bass i recommended was on there, and you recommended it as well. it is a sign TS
Hmm, everyone so far and that thread seem to say the GSR200...

I think you're right that it might be a sign :P

P.S.: Just saw the Peavey Millenium on that thread, and I have to say, the finish looks guuurd ;P . Anyone know anything about this bass?
Last edited by JT436 at Aug 19, 2010,
it depends though...i had played my friend's $750 schecter, and a ~$500 fender jazz in a shop, but the necks weren't as comfortable to me as the gsr200
play before you buy
or just go into a shop, ask what they have on the cheap, and give it a try
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
i read on the toilet.
sometimes i'm even on UG or AIM.
laptops + wireless = The Pit on the toilet.
Quote by RinestoneCowboy
Cannibal Corpse transcend genres and stereotypes with their emotional and heartfelt take on music.
check local pawn shops. it's a long shot by all means but every once in a blue moon you'll find a real jem for dirt cheap.

as for new basses. rouge can be hit and miss but it's worth a try
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it. ~Henry David Thoreau
The Peavey Millennium and Ibanez GSR200 are fantastic starter basses, both will last you quite a while. It might be worth your while to look at Yamaha too, they make some great low-end RBX's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^ What Tostitos said +1. Also looking at second hand perhaps .. not sure what kind of websites you have in the UK .. But also try before you buy is VERY important, it's all about finding what feels best.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"