Heey guyys.. havent been here in a while...

So anyway I use play my Ibanez RG370dx HSH all the time, but I recently bought a Les Paul and well the tone difference is just too obvious so i have been kind of leaving it behind

I dont want to sell it or get rid of it because its a really good guitar for the price (400$), plus comfort and well I just like it too much

So I was thinking about changing pickups to improve its tone so that it wont sound like crap next to the les paul

I play all styles of music, from blues to jazz, pop rock the occasional metal, reggae, latin rock (Soda Stereo , Gustavo Cerati, La ley , Mana) and classic rock

price range about 250-300$ , oh yeah and passive over active though i wouldnt mind changing to active

thanks!

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
A thin basswood body, fully floating vibrato, master volume and tone that has to cover both humbuckers and single coils, much thinner neck and I'm guessing it's a bolt-on too? You're not going to get that sounding anything like a Les Paul with a pickup change. You can make it sound better, but forget comparing it to any Les Paul, they're two entirely different guitars.

In what way do you think the Ibanez sounds bad? What aspects would you like to improve? It's easy to say "I want a better tone" but what one person calls better, another person calls worse. The stock Ibanez pickups aren't great and they're kind of backwards (ceramic for the neck and alnico in the bridge?) so they can definitely be improved upon, but you're going to have to give us more information on what you consider a good tone to be.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah obviously its not going to sound like the les paul, but i do think that a pickup change can improve its tone, and that type of guitar could do things a les paul cant. Hard to get that single coil + neck humbucker sound with the les paul

Well the pickups arent great but they are balanced, I`d like the guitar to sound good on clean or little distortion, with good highs and balanced mids, more sustain, and just overall improvement.. I like satchs and gilmours live tone....hard to describe, heres a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWoJrI6554

TG

Its a big ask to cross all those genre's with one guitar.The les paul might come close if it has coil tap switching,but with the right amp and pickup comination your gutar (if u can keep the 5way switching,when u change pickups)has the potential to be supremely versitile,not to mention already more comfortable and easier to play than most guitars twice the price,NO SHIT!So for starters;Dimarzios "True Velvet" a great single coil.
"Air Norton" Neck
"Tone Zone Bridge,both Dimarzio

Also the "Paf Joe Neck
"Mo Joe" Bridge are a great versatile combo,Both Dimarzios

another alltime classic combo "59" Neck
"JB" Bridge,Both Seymore Duncans
I've changed out pickups in six guitars looking to improve tone.Its long term Quest but the above mentioned pickups are a good starting point.Checkout pickup web sites for specks and sound bites,but it's as important to find somebody who can wire it all to have the the switching combinations the guitar allready has.Good Luck.
Stick a pair of Dimarzio Breeds in it if you want to beef up the tone.

Steer clear of the Tone Zone, it's nowhere near versatile enough, the Duncan JB is probably going to be too thin and trebly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What tone are you trying to get out of the Ibanez really? Do you want it to sound like the Les Paul? Or just good?

Possibly take a look at some Seymour Duncan JB/'59 setup, w/ a little '59 in the middle. Or maybe a set of Gibson '57 Classics or something.
It sounds to me like what you want is a really standard, generic tone, just a higher-quality and more responsive one than the stock pickups have. If that is the case, I really don't think you can go wrong with a SD Custom 5 in the bridge and a Pearly gates in the neck, especially with a basswood guitar which has quite a lot of mid-range ''punch''. For the single space, personally I would go with a SD Cool Rails, but a Vintage Rails could work well too, depending on what you use the middle position for (if you use middle + neck a lot, a Vintage Rails will ensure that combination doesn't get too muddy). Depending on just how clean and clear you want to go, an Alnico II Pro or Jazz in the neck could be better choices (though I think the Jazz may be just a little bit too bright) and a DiMarzio PAF Pro may work out a little better for you in the bridge. Some combination of those would be my picks anyway for a clean, clear, balanced tone on that sort of guitar.

Quote by steven seagull
Stick a pair of Dimarzio Breeds in it if you want to beef up the tone.
You really like those Breeds, huh?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If he's wanting his RG to get closer to a Les Paul sound then that's what they're designed for, they'll fatten up the tone no end and fill out those lacking lower midrange frequencies.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
From what OP has said, I don't think the answer is in trying to get towards an LP sound. That's why he has an LP. So I'd look at something that enhances the total range of sounds available. I'd strongly consider Bill Lawrence's Wilde range. Probably a 500XL in the bridge, 500 L or R in the neck and one of his excellent SCs or stacked in the middle. They all have great definition which is something the RG stock pups tend to lack.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Yeah definetely not trying to make it sound like the les paul, but improve it, thanks guys i will look into those and get back to you somehow!

TG