Page 1 of 2
test the serial number i guess
from it i can tell its made in China, in november 2004.
but you'll have to call epiphone or something, i dont know how it works.
Never seen an Epi LP Custom before with a non-burst flame maple top, especially since that is meant to be the white finish I am guessing? Can't recall any Customs being made since '07 which would have the Epi LE Custom Shop stamp either.

So, the finish is odd. I wouldn't want to scream fake just based off of that though as Epiphone have done all sorts of odd finishes for various markets. Would really need better pictures (i.e. ones which haven't been shot at sunset).

Edit: okay my bad, should have clicked the links first. That finish... it's like someone got Epiphone's LP Custom Natural and then tried to refinish it with a slightly transparent version of Epi's LP Custom Antique White finish over the top. I would be very suspicious. I still wouldn't say it is definitely fake but you need to get more info on it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 5, 2010,
I might suggest a picture resizer. Also, it looks pretty real, but the cutaway looks weird to me... Anyone else think so or am I just losing it?
Ah I knew there was something off. All the Epi Customs have had black pickguards, even the Natural one. That guitar clearly doesn't have a pickguard, nor does it have the mounting holes for a LP pickguard. So either it is a fake or it has been oddly refinished.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Ah I knew there was something off. All the Epi Customs have had black pickguards, even the Natural one. That guitar clearly doesn't have a pickguard, nor does it have the mounting holes for a LP pickguard. So either it is a fake or it has been oddly refinished.

You always have answers to everything, Mr. Flibble. I give you my internetz. Please, enjoy. You're pretty freakin' smart when it comes to anything guitar-related..
why someone would make a fake epiphone is completely beyond my knowledge. I mean epiphones are basicaly fakes already(fake Gibsons). So even if it is, who really cares? It's not like you spend $2k on it

also if you email Gibson with the serial number they will be able to tell you where and when it was made.
Quote by handbanana
why someone would make a fake epiphone is completely beyond my knowledge. I mean epiphones are basicaly fakes already(fake Gibsons). So even if it is, who really cares? It's not like you spend $2k on it

also if you email Gibson with the serial number they will be able to tell you where and when it was made.

1 - because an epi lp custom costs about the same as a gibson lp worn cherry. so why not fake it if it cost you $150 to make it in china?

2 - don't you think that people that build fake guitars can use a real serial number?
Quote by gregs1020
2 - don't you think that people that build fake guitars can use a real serial number?

yeah but gibson will also tell you the exact model and color of it, that might be able to help him see if its fake or not

but there is really nothing that really shows that its fake to me, if it is, it's a really good fake. for all you know it could be better.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 5, 2010,
The only thing im concerned about is the inlay on the head, it doesn't look straight
http://www.users.on.net/~phab1/Epip%20LP/001.JPG

Mainly the middle rectangle looks out and the bottom triangles look too long.
The whole thing doesn't look isometric.

http://www.users.on.net/~phab1/Epip%20LP/002.JPG

Control knob closest from tail piece appears set too far to the right (very close and hard to tell still).
Last edited by Mike_is at Jun 5, 2010,
If it is fake it's a really good one.

The things you need to consider:

In some photos the cut-away looks wrong. Others it looks fine. Maybe shadowing?

The finish is not a finish offered in that particular model as far as I can find.

It's missing the pick guard. This could mean nothing.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
keep in mind that there are also things called factory b-stocks with little flaws such as these, so it could still be real. Where did you get it? Also try finding another epi custom and compare them side by side. Go into guitar center, i'm sure they won't mind.
well if it is fake its pretty enough to hang on your wall " Wow i love your guitar" "Thanks it might possibly be a fake but its still PREEETTTY"
well. true. however the letters on the headstock do match up right and so do the knobs

EDIT:

HUGE PROBLEM. where is the hole for the pick guard!?!?!?!?!?
oh snap son. your guitar is fake imo.

after looking harder and comparing my guitar (i own a custom in white), the letters on teh headstock dont match up. the crest needs to be between the p and h, yours is on the p.

AND, why do i see lines in the paint? there should be no lines or wood showing through. AND there is no hole for the pick guard. they come with poick guards, and if you remove them there are holes for it to screw in. the holes are 1 on the side of the body, and 1 on the front of the guitar right near the neck pickup.

uless you filled that hole and those are bad pics....im my honest opinion your axe is fake. sorry dewg.
could have just been a limited edition one without the pickguard seeign as it says limited edition on the back of the headstock
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Based on my research you have a real Epi LP, but it's not a custom, it's a Limited.
Michael
Woah, the UG community is really divided on this one, normally it'd only take a hand full of posts to determine if its legit or not.
I think it's safe to say it's a real one. Whether it's a Custom or not is the issue. Someone could have just switched the truss rod cover.
Michael
Re the truss rod cover.

About a week after the hype over the so-called '3 point fastened' truss rod covers that PROVED a Gibson was a fake...they were selling '2 point fastened' replacements on Hong Kong Ebay sites.

Most of the so-called 'experts' on fakes have never even touched a fake guitar but regurgitate the pablum they've been fed by other so-called 'experts'.
The biggee for me was the alignment of the Vol & Tone controls. Draw a line from the centre of the treble tone control thru the Treble vol control. Now draw a line thru the Rhythm controls. The lines aren't parallel to each other and they should be, nor or they parallel to the neck which they should be. The cut away is also classic fake style.
As mentyioned the logo looks off as well.
I'd shy away from this is it was offered.

Next time smaller pics though OK?
Moving on.....
I swear I see a flamed maple top...

To add with everything else, the machine heads don't look quite right. Too rounded for Grovers I've seen.
honestly it's really hard for us to determine if this one is fake or not without looking at it in person. Like I said, take it to a guitar shop or a friend who has the same guitar and compare them side by side. Also a luthier or guitar tech will probably be able to tell you pretty easily if it is fake or not.

Also check out the markings under the pickups and report back
Quote by Raptorfingers
Re the truss rod cover.

About a week after the hype over the so-called '3 point fastened' truss rod covers that PROVED a Gibson was a fake...they were selling '2 point fastened' replacements on Hong Kong Ebay sites.

Most of the so-called 'experts' on fakes have never even touched a fake guitar but regurgitate the pablum they've been fed by other so-called 'experts'.
Quote by handbanana
honestly it's really hard for us to determine if this one is fake or not without looking at it in person. ...
Correct!

Also, the White MIJ Epi LP Custom from the Limited Edition Elite series (not Elitist) I have came with the Black PG uninstalled.

Quote by KenG
The biggee for me was the alignment of the Vol & Tone controls. Draw a line from the centre of the treble tone control thru the Treble vol control. Now draw a line thru the Rhythm controls. The lines aren't parallel to each other and they should be, nor or they parallel to the neck which they should be. The cut away is also classic fake style.
As mentyioned the logo looks off as well.
I'd shy away from this is it was offered.

Next time smaller pics though OK?

I'm not sure remember, les pauls have a carved top : /
Learning the guitar one note at a time.

Check out my youtube account !

Remember that subscriptions and constructive feedback is always helpfull.
Quote by Slimfullsim
I'm not sure remember, les pauls have a carved top : /

I'm kinda aware of that!
The angle of view of the guitar is poor to be sure & the large pics don't help take it all in at once either.
It's much easier to judge the alignment and horn size with a front on view with the guitar standing up as shown in my LP pics.

I didn't say it was a fake though just that it looked suspicous & I'd stay clear of it.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I'm kinda aware of that!
The angle of view of the guitar is poor to be sure & the large pics don't help take it all in at once either.
It's much easier to judge the alignment and horn size with a front on view with the guitar standing up as shown in my LP pics.

I didn't say it was a fake though just that it looked suspicous & I'd stay clear of it.

Alright, fair enough. My bad.
Learning the guitar one note at a time.

Check out my youtube account !

Remember that subscriptions and constructive feedback is always helpfull.
Have you already bought this guitar or not is an important question I guess, as if you have from what we can see the quality is similar/same even if it is fake so as long as you like it then that's fine..

With regards to planning to buy it, check out as much as you can about the seller and it actually is a great fake/ or just real because someone's put a lot of effort into that fake as opposed to jobs such as ..

http://media.photobucket.com/image/fake%20epiphones/sinmastah/LogoandTuners.jpg

a bit hard to see but you get the point.

EDIT: actually using the picture shows that its either an EXTREMELY good copy or acutally a real.

Personally I think it's real.

HELLO!

Last edited by JamesLPs at Jun 7, 2010,
Well, there's one way to rule it fake if you can't figure it out. Open the truss rod cover. If there's a truss rod in there, it proves nothing, but if it's just a metal bar (or worse nothing), it is a definate fake. Hope that helps.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
taking all opinions into account, from everything i've read and pictures i've seen i'm under the impression it's legit, but maybe a factory B-stock or some pleb forgot to put the pickguard on in the factory before boxing it or whatever. but yeh, i reckon legit.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
So you couldn't get any big pictures then?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I could be Wrong but don't all epiphone's have this sticker on them?

You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Assuming they've not been removed.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
well what difference does it make whether its fake or not, as long as it sound good right???
Page 1 of 2