Hi I was wondering if anybody had a decent tube combo amp to recommend?? I have £900 to spend which im guessing is around $1200/1300... I was considering a head and cab but figured its much easier to transport a combo instead for gigs and the like. I play many styles from heavy metal (which is what my band plays) to bluegrass and country so it can't just be a high gain amp with a shit clean tone... Cheers, any help is greatly appreciated
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Maybe a used Mesa Mark V if you can find one for cheap, or a used Fryette Pitbull 45.
Might want to check out the new Vox AC30. Glorious amp. If I had the money for it, I would drop it on one in a heartbeat hands down.

Check it out! http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Custom-AC30C2-30W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423618

900 Euro is about 1100 USD so that would be perfect.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Might want to check out the new Vox AC30. Glorious amp. If I had the money for it, I would drop it on one in a heartbeat hands down.

Check it out! http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Custom-AC30C2-30W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=423618

900 Euro is about 1100 USD so that would be perfect.

he said metal. the ac30 is a great amp, but not really suited for metal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
he said metal. the ac30 is a great amp, but not really suited for metal.

He also said bluegrass and country. I don't really know a lot of tubes that have that wide of a versatility.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
He also said bluegrass and country. I don't really know a lot of tubes that have that wide of a versatility.

try a jsx sometime. great clean channel and more gain than most metal players would ever need.

TS - maybe an ENGL thunder combo or Bogner Alchemist. Those are the only two that come to mind. I'm in the US so I am not as familiar with what is available there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Get a Fender Twin Reverb and a good distortion pedal and you are covered for almost anything.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
i would try and get a mesa road king or rectifier combo, but if you have euros than means they are like twice as expensive where you are then in the states

or the peavy 6505+ combo
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Jun 6, 2010,
The peavey JSX or XXX has great versatility.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Hiwatt HG 50 in combo or as a head with the Maxwatt 4x12 will be perfect for you and within budget. The cleans are crisp and warm like only Hiwatt can get them and when you need some gain, the HG channel is there with splendid distortion. I'd prefer the half stack as it has the Hiwatt/Fane speakers but you may prefer the Celestions in the combo.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

What about a mesa boogie roadster? Is that worth saving for rather than buying an amp now or is a waste of time?
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
lol all the mesa ppl reply at the end of the thread u knw wht they save save the best for last
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112