Hello I have just bought a peavey valveking head and it sound great. I use it with a Marshall 4x12 but it's really loud. If I bought a 2x12 and ran the head through that would I be able to turn the volume up and get a better tone or would it just be the same level of noise.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Yeah of course it will be quieter... Speakers work by vibrating and moving air around it, so it makes sense that if you have smaller speakers less vibration will occur.
So yeah go for that, it won't be half the volume of your 4x12 i would expect but it will be smaller
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
It won't be that much quieter at all, if you're standing near it. Although it will project less air, therefore the sound wont travel as far, which would maybe solve the problem of it being abit too loud and annoying people.

I personally prefer 2x12s.

But don't expect getting a 2x12 to make you noticably quieter.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
You know wut I'm just gonna tAke a ride to gc and test it out myself
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey

best advice so far, a lot of people seem to be too lazy to just go and try things out
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I've discussed this issue with some on here before and the response I got was that a 2x12 would not be quieter than a 4x12.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by ishmonkey

Absolutly fantastic idea.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by ishmonkey

An excellent choice, good sir!
i believe that 2x12s are much quieter than 4x12s, this guy bubonic plauge or something has a thread about speakers and cabinets and sound and stuff and that was in there
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
the estimate is that every subsequent speaker beyond the first will add an additional 3db. This value falls with each additional speaker.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Think about it this way:
Your amp is pushing out the same amount of watts, no matter what. It's putting the same amount of power to the speakers, no matter how many are used. It's just a matter of how that power is distributed.

A rather simplistic way to look at it would be this: Your volume is on 8, running to four speakers. Each speaker will be pushing out 2 volumes. If you run 8 volumes to 2 speakers, each speaker is pushing out 4 volumes.

But yes, it will make a SMALLLLL difference, but really not that much, to change the number of speakers. It's still putting out the same volume more or less.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Yea I've always heard the 3db rule. Which is not much.

But you should know that this rule only applies to the same speakers. If you try out a 2x12 with different speakers (and different sensitivity levels and ohms) you will get a different result.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.