I don't get it? There are floyd-roses on great guitars that play metal great such as ESP & Schecter, yet down tuning is a bitch with floyd rose right? Can someone explain it or something haha?
Down tuning is fine, it's changing tuning that is a problem. Setting up a guitar in drop C is no harder than E standard, but changing from E standard to drop C is darn near impossible without a complete resetup of the trem system.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
That's what I meant, thanks. For a metal band they could be testing with tunings, possibly have songs in different tunings which would be a real pain.
I for one do not like trem bridges whatsoever. My first one, an Ibanez RG350DX, gave me nothing but trouble (Of course I've come to learn that the Edge III sucks anyway.. Thank god I got rid of that POS). I will never personally purchase a guitar equipped with a tremolo again.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I see your point, hence I don't have an esp with a floyd rose. They are just too annoying but some people like them since they do help the strings stay in tune better. To each their own.

when you're playing in a constant tuning it's absolutly fine.
there are some minor setup "probs" when you change your tuning, but it's nothing you can't change within 15 minutes.
AND! when you change tunings you might get problems with strings gettin' too loose.
you can't play the same string (with the same feel) in std. e and in drop c (or lower).
What?
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Down tuning is fine, it's changing tuning that is a problem. Setting up a guitar in drop C is no harder than E standard, but changing from E standard to drop C is darn near impossible without a complete resetup of the trem system.

well, i changed from std. e drop c on the same guitar and i didn't had to resetup anything, because i changed string gauges.
i just don't get why people are always anoyed about FR trems.

Edit: sorry for the DP
What?
Many will use a trem stop so that it's dive only. As long as the springs are cranked tight enough for std tuning you can then drop down to any other tunings with no more trouble than a hard tail (outside of having to unlock the nut).
Different tunings... different guitars......

that solved the tuning problem

just a bitch when you snap a string halfway through a song ±___± your guitar goes from

"dun dun dundundun"

to

" gurrrrr frrrrreeeezzzzz geeeeee gohhhffflwagon" ... not good
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
fyi, no band is gonna take the time to retune their guitars from say E standard to C while on stage anyway.. Thats the main reason for multiple guitars

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I find that metal bands are more likely to stay in one tuning more than other genres. Their sound is often linked to their tuning. But as touring and live instruments, you can't beat a double locking system. It will always be in tune. A lot of metal bands don't even use their trems. Someone should design a double locking fixed bridge. Ibanez is the only brand that makes them and those bridges are only on a sig and their 8-string guitars. I personally find certain trems to be more comfortable than playing on fixed bridges. They're lower profile and they have no sharp points. But as everyone else says, the trouble people have with trems is changing tunings. Once it's tuned, it'll stay there for a long time.
the new ibanez EZ is a tad bit easier to downtune,and in fact it is the most convenient and user friendly trem ever made...(but still I dont like it)

that is why I love ibanez,they always change(mostly for the good ) and try to overcome common guitar problems

Jelifish you can always buy the Fixed LO pro(the bridge on the MTM) bridge if you want,rich harris sells it..
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
the new ibanez EZ is a tad bit easier to downtune,and in fact it is the most convenient and user friendly trem ever made...

that is why I love ibanez,they always change(mostly for the good ) and try to overcome common guitar problems

Jelifish you can always buy the Fixed LO pro(the bridge on the MTM) bridge if you want,rich harris sells it..

I wasn't talking about for me, I meant it would be great if they were on the market because I'm sure others would appreciate them (those bands with OFRs on their custom guitars but never use them). If you get one of those fixed double locking bridges, you would need to get your guitar routed for it. That's a lot of trouble. You can't really put an Ibanez bridge on an ESP or Jackson. There's a limit to what custom shops can do. If there was another brand who made bridges like that, you could put it on any guitar. It would be great if they took some of the features of the Edge Zero like how intonation is handled. There aren't enough bridge options.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I wasn't talking about for me, I meant it would be great if they were on the market because I'm sure others would appreciate them (those bands with OFRs on their custom guitars but never use them). If you get one of those fixed double locking bridges, you would need to get your guitar routed for it. That's a lot of trouble. You can't really put an Ibanez bridge on an ESP or Jackson. There's a limit to what custom shops can do. If there was another brand who made bridges like that, you could put it on any guitar. It would be great if they took some of the features of the Edge Zero like how intonation is handled. There aren't enough bridge options.

The LoPro or the Edge retrofits the OFR cavity,but not the Fixed Lo pro,although I dont think its a very hard job.

there is another brand which makes bridges like that and it is Kahler(although they dont work as good)

the intonation tool in the EZ is a neat thing,but I dont consider it to be a massive improvement over other bridges,That intonation thing will never stop me from buying an OE equipped guitar over an EZ equipped one..

its hard to see how much you have changed over a year..

I've never heard one complaint about the Edge Pro except that it uses bushings for the trem arm. I'm sure it stays in tune well or else Steve Vai and Joe Satriani use it. I've heard plenty of complaints about the Edge ZR. It doesn't have as much range and it doesn't flutter well. You have to wonder why Herman Li put an Edge Zero on his signature that's based on the S with the Edge ZR he used. The Edge Pro is as good as an OFR. The Edge Pro, like all good trems is easy to maintain. You don't have to do anything. Just tune it, lock it, and you're set for a long time. You do have to do some extra work when changing strings or tuning, but that's the downside to Floyds.

that was posted by you in 2009,mind you thats an year later after you said you bought a 2550 with an EZ..

I am finding you harder to trust you with trem advice about the EZ now...
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
that was posted by you in 2009,mind you thats an year later after you said you bought a 2550 with an EZ..

I am finding you harder to trust you with trem advice about the EZ now...

That was a typo. When you see Edge ZR, I mean the ZR on the S, not Edge Zero on RGs. That was before I realized the ZR doesn't have an Edge in the name. I don't believe that the Edge Zero was part of that comparison.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by JELIFISH19
That was a typo. When you see Edge ZR, I mean the ZR on the S, not Edge Zero on RGs.

oh sorry then..
So BASICALLY, if you want to change tunings often, don't get a floyd-rose-equipped guitar.
Or get LOTS if them.

I now own 6 guitars, 3 of which have floyd's
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Arterial
So BASICALLY, if you want to change tunings often, don't get a floyd-rose-equipped guitar.

Or read, and learn how to do it easy, and learn how to change tunings in like, 2 minutes, and you still get the awesomeness and tuning stability of a Floating trem.

But if you are going to be constantly changing tunings (like multiple times a day) then no, a floating trem is not for you.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Or read, and learn how to do it easy, and learn how to change tunings in like, 2 minutes, and you still get the awesomeness and tuning stability of a Floating trem.

But if you are going to be constantly changing tunings (like multiple times a day) then no, a floating trem is not for you.

So...you disagree with me and then you agree with me...
Quote by Arterial
So...you disagree with me and then you agree with me...

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing. I was merely stating facts. Depends on how often often is, and how much you want to use the trem, or how much you want the insanely awesome tuning stability Floating trems have.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...