I've had a Peavey Vypyr 30 for about a year or two now. Everyone says how great they are, but I hate messing with the settings to find good tones. I suck at getting good sounds out of it.

I just want something that sounds good but is simple to just plug in, tweak a knob or two for what I want to do, and then jam, all in about the $300-400 price range.

I really don't want another modeling amp, that's what I'm trying to get away from. I've been looking at things like the Frontman212r or the Bandit 112, but everyone says that they're crappy. I obviously don't want a crappy amp.

So, any suggestions for a good sounding amp in the $300-400 range, that isn't super f'ing complicated?

As for the sound I want... things like Oasis, Linkin Park, Soundgarden, Rage/Audioslave, Weezer... No super heavy metal, but I'd like to be able to get down with it and also play clean as well.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
The bands that you listed are all very different in tone, you're going to have trouble finding an amp that's that veratile within that price range unless you go for a modelling amp, and you already have the best cheap modelling amp.

Maybe you could learn more about using the controls?

EDIT: or look used on eBay, the Blackstar HT5 seems to be popular, you'll probably need an OD to get the heavier tones though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Check out the Blackstar HT-5
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Alright thanks I will have to check those out.

I'll have to just keep messing with the Vypyr until I come to any decision. I appreciate all it can do and understand how it works and everything, I'm just tired of it. If I could find a book or website with a bunch of nice tone settings I'd like it more. I've found a few websites but I wasn't feeling them.

Also, I don't gig at all, although I'd definitely like to soon. And I do home recording.
Question about the Blackstar head: Being only 5 watts, I know it is tube so it's going to be loud enough for at home, but if I wanted it to be louder for practice or something, then I just get a cabinent?
Well, you're gunna need a cab regardless with a head

If you're looking to jam with people then maby you should look into the Jet City JCA20
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
ibanez TSA anyone?
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Oh ok sorry, I don't know very much about amp heads and cabinents, I should read up on them so I know what I'm talking about. Lol.

But yeah I will be wanting to jam with people, and maybe play some smaller shows someday.

I liked the description of the Jet City one on Guitar Center's website though, it mentions 'simple' multiple times. That's what I need! haha.
And the Blackstar seemed nice too, but I need to learn about these heads and cabs before I do something stupid.
And the Engater seems good too.
Quote by FLAgatorsLP
Question about the Blackstar head: Being only 5 watts, I know it is tube so it's going to be loud enough for at home, but if I wanted it to be louder for practice or something, then I just get a cabinent?

5 watts is actually sufficient for practice, but that would depend on the size and acoustics of the venue you are practicing in.

If your drummer hates his drum kits, then you might have to really dime the amp, but if your drummer doesn't smash his skins with mortal hatred, the HT5 will be sufficient for practice purposes.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
- Carl Sagan

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe ask for some settings suggestions in the Peavey thread and learn to work with it instead of buying a new amp?

Also, lol to Cathbard. So true.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

Best advice yet

+1
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Kanthras
Maybe ask for some settings suggestions in the Peavey thread and learn to work with it instead of buying a new amp?
I would have to agree. If you can't find at least something to work with in thet Peavey, then chances are your not going to be able to dial in your new amp. Don't get me wrong, go for it, but just know that it isn't the amp that makes the tone, its the user.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
blackstar ht-5. might not be loud enough for band practice. depends on ur drummer.

also can u buy used? if yes, get a used peavey classic 30 with an od pedal
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Egnater Tweaker, Blackstar HT-5, Orange Tiny Terror (three knobs!) or the Jet City JCA20H. These are all awesome, cheap amps.
all good amps have been suggested but a lot of the bands suggested use quite a lot of effects in their music no problem with a modelling amp or if you have a massive budget for pedals
just something to consider