I've been looking at the options for a 4x12 with V30's, and initially i was going to go the standard route of a mesa 4x12. But i noticed Avatar makes a 4x12 with v30s for like half the price of mesa boogie. Literally 499 vs 949

Any experience with the Avatar 4x12 quality? If anyone has an idea of how it compares to the mesa I would appreciate the info.
Guitars
Amps
way too much to pay for a mesa cab. Go buying the used route for mesa cabs. You can get hem for literally 500 bucks.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Well i checked on ebay and right now there is one mesa 4x12 from 2000 on buy it now for 799
Guitars
Amps
Check GC used. If you can trade in some pedal foder, straps, capos or slides you can get 15% off. GC used will ship to other GC stores

Hell theres even other 4x12 on gc used like splawn ones that are 500 by themselves

Word of the wise: i just got the nitro, and i tried out many cabs for it this past week and did not like any v30 loaded cab for it. It just sounds weird. Teh gt-75 loaded cabs sounded really awesome
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 5, 2010,
Thanks for the info. My nitro through a 2x12 splawn SB sounds good, but not quite there with the tone i am after. I am a modern metal guy so i thought maybe i need v30s.
Guitars
Amps
The SB ones are modded Eminence speakers if i remember right.
Dont sweat it i thought the same you did, but when i tried it with several v30 cabs at GC i didnt groove it as much as a gt-75 loaded cab or a splawn cab
the splawn speaerks i think are based of the Manowar and the umm texas heat, so i cant really say how they compare with the gt-75's since those are speakers i have very little experience with. If you can just take your head to the store and say i want to try some cabs for this sucker. They should let you. see what works for you

Good Luck.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jun 5, 2010,
id try and find a used mesa, theres one at my Guitar center for $450, im sure there's others for about the same
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Hey Matt, for what it is worth I have an Avatar 212 Traditional. I had heard good things about Avatar but was really impressed after I got it. I won't say they are better than Mesa Cabs but damn close. Avatar also sells their Hellatone brand which are broken in Celestions - maybe look into those. It was a bitch to get the back off but you kinda see the quality in here.

I went with an unconventional set up to get something different so I'm running a Classic Lead 80 and a G12H30. Not sure if V30s are the way to go personally. I believe the Small Blocks are based on the Man O War (which I've also owned) like Mexican Shred was saying. Can't speak to the GT-75s.

I also agree to look used. What is on your craigslist?

If you lived near me I'd trade you cabs for awhile - just to see.

Also hit up the Splawn boards for suggestions. Lots of cab and speaker discussions lately.

Good luck

The g12h30's also sounded great at the store
I also prefer 75's over v30's for metal. Just saying.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab