http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ualLbfJ9MSc

Watch this video and critique any mistakes in my technique. Tell me what I do good and what I don't do good. One thing I already know is that I don't use my pinkey and thats something I'm working on. But any others are welcome so please reply!

I've been playing for 5 years but I started bad so I would say I've been playing about 3 years. And I'm 14.

And don't critique my other videos cause they horrible (It was my first time performing in front of live people).

PS: And that sucky band on one of my videos isn't a band I'm in. The pianist and the drummer play together and when I auditioned they asked me to play a few chords during their act, so I did. Thats not even my style of music.
Your right hand technique is pretty clean, but it looks like you're anchoring with it, which is slowing down your playing
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Pretty good. Seems like your staying relaxed and playing with some good economy and control and good hand positioning. I know you already mentioned it, but by far the biggest thing you could do right now to improve your technique would be to get your pinky in on the action. All the times where it seemed like you were having to work harder than you should have been were due to having to stretch with your 2nd and 3rd finger a lot due to not using the pinky.
That's good :-D But if you're still having trouble playing fast, I would try pulling your fingers in. There's less distance to move your fingers across and less momentum
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by se012101
Pretty good. Seems like your staying relaxed and playing with some good economy and control and good hand positioning. I know you already mentioned it, but by far the biggest thing you could do right now to improve your technique would be to get your pinky in on the action. All the times where it seemed like you were having to work harder than you should have been were due to having to stretch with your 2nd and 3rd finger a lot due to not using the pinky.

Thanks. And I agree with you. My pinky has been a problem with me for the past few years as I've been getting better. I do exercises for hours every day so hopefully I'll get better with it.

That's good :-D But if you're still having trouble playing fast, I would try pulling your fingers in. There's less distance to move your fingers across and less momentum

Do you mean pulling in my fingers on my right hand?
-Vibrato
-Pinky

Based on the video at least. Your technique can be tracked differently when doing pieces higher than suppose Metallica in this instance. Some could consider your technique good but if you were given Paganini's 16th Caprice could you still play as effortlessly as you did in this certain video. If you wanted to make a video where your technique could really be tracked and incorporate some excercises that are based on improving technique.
Quote by WastedRespect
-Vibrato
-Pinky

Based on the video at least. Your technique can be tracked differently when doing pieces higher than suppose Metallica in this instance. Some could consider your technique good but if you were given Paganini's 16th Caprice could you still play as effortlessly as you did in this certain video. If you wanted to make a video where your technique could really be tracked and incorporate some excercises that are based on improving technique.

Ya my next video I'm going to play Unrepentant by Trivium which is a lot harder than this song. It is definitely not the hardest song I can play, but if I'm going to post a video on youtube I want it to be songs I can play good and cleanly. And if you read in the description this was recorded a long time ago, but I'm asking for critique because my technique is pretty much the same (it's been a slow year for some reason).
Last edited by guitarocker100 at Jun 5, 2010,
dude for some reason it looks like your pinky finger is incredibly small compared to your others.
haha just saw your latest video,and everyone goes "OMGGGG!!!!" when you start playing MOP..

your technique looks pretty good to me..

EDIT :saw the solo section, you will have to work on soloing though
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
haha just saw your latest video,and everyone goes "OMGGGG!!!!" when you start playing MOP..

your technique looks pretty good to me..

EDIT :saw the solo section, you will have to work on soloing though

Haha ya I know its pretty sad how people get impressed by such a simple song. And tapping is one of the easiest skills on the guitar, but if you do it in front of a bunch of kids who have never picked up a guitar they will think it's the best thing ever. And dont worry I'm much better at soloing now. That was when I didn't know scales and crap. The past month I've been soloing like crazy and I'm much better at it.
Quote by guitarocker100
Any other technique based replies?

TBH,Its very hard to evaluate the technicality of your playing through that clip..you have a good downpicking technique and you look relaxed but I cant judge your technique as a whole because that video is just downpicking and a few powerchords and stuff. alt picking,sweeping,vibrato etc.etc. are the things that really matters..
Quote by guitarocker100
Haha ya I know its pretty sad how people get impressed by such a simple song. And tapping is one of the easiest skills on the guitar, but if you do it in front of a bunch of kids who have never picked up a guitar they will think it's the best thing ever. And dont worry I'm much better at soloing now. That was when I didn't know scales and crap. The past month I've been soloing like crazy and I'm much better at it.

That's all very well and good but unless you can do that EVH tapping section standing up straight now it doesn't matter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's all very well and good but unless you can do that EVH tapping section standing up straight now it doesn't matter.

Ya I know. I originally did it standing up straight but once I had to start getting my pinky into it I couldn't stretch very far unless I got closer to the guitar.

But like I said those other videos are horrible and are bad examples of my playing. I think I'll post a new video today or tomorrow that pushes my skills more and I'll reply when I do.